Best performance without overclocking?

Profy_X

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hello I have a Gigabyte custom made system so this is my configuration:cpu Intel core 2 quad q6600,Asus P5N32 SLI motherboard,BFG GeForce 8800 GTS Oc2,Creative Audigy 2 SB,cpu Cooler Zalman CNPS7500 AL-CU LED,Gigabyte 3D Aurora case,4gb(4x512)RAM ddr2.So how can i get the best performance from this system without overclocking it?What would be the best OS for him?How about the BIOS settings what are the most suitable?Sorry for my bad english...

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Overclock!!!
would be really foolish not to with a q6600. BTW is that 2gb or 4gb RAM?
Best OS for anyone is Vista 64, though some might say XP if your RAM is indeed 4x512's

Profy_X

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
sorry my mistake it is 4x1gb :p i got a great cooler but i don`t want to risk puting the cpu on overclock so any other oppinion will be great,i don`t know much about vista x64 what`s the diference betwen x64 and x86?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
The main difference is that Vista will run 4 cores better than XP, through how it distributes tasks. Its marginal though.
The other difference is that XP caps your RAM at 3.4GB (including your GPU).
So, your 8800GTS has 512MB dedicated video RAM, meaning only 2.8ish of your RAM sticks will operate.

You would have to do something really drastic to mess up with a Q6600.
Its pretty simple, just update your BIOS, make sure the chips VID isnt on Auto and then up the FSB to 333 = 3Gz! If it crashes then you have a really bad sample. Really bad...

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Just to add - probably the most hazardous part of this is updating the BIOS. Im very lucky with my mobo in that Biostar have a really nice update utility that can be used from windows. Most mobo manufacturers require you to use a flash drive at boot....known as flashing the BIOS.
The other thing is that i believe that you will need to overclock your memory to 1000MHz or so if its PC6400 (if PC8500 dont worry bout it) in order to see the full effects of an OC'd Q6600.

Read this before doing a BIOS update:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61022

Q6600 overclock thread
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=20383

What you are missing out on!
http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=358

Profy_X

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
thanx but I don`t want to OC all I want is that my system to give the max randament without overclocking it about the BIOS upgrade thas it fell the difference after the upgrade?or it haves only more options?do I lose my guaranty if I do this?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

You will need to look at other way to optimize your system.

More hard drives is better than one. Heres an option is you don't want to put on raid.

HD 1
part 1 = operating system
part 2 = temporay internet files (internet explorer/tools/internet option/browsing history settings/move folder), temporary files (control panel/advance system settings/environment variables/TEMP and TMP variables can be move to this location.) you can create tem folder on this partition and move tem files to that folder.
part 3 = music files (move music folder to this location)
part 4 = video files (move video files to this location)

HD 2
part 5 = downloads files
part 6 = documents files ( cut and paste foldes from my documents here, in any event some goes wrong with your OS your files are safe, even favourites folder if move to this partition.
part 7 = games programs.
part 8 = backup drive for backup image C drive using a program like acronis true image. (this will let you restore your system in under 15 minutes compare to one whole day re-installing and updating)

You can use cut and paste to move the folders to new location and windows will automatically find it, some program will not find the link to new folders so you have to do it manually.

Reason why I do it this way is to keep my C drive from getting too fragmented and giving me enough room for new service pack updates. So make sure you leave enough room for new programs, updates, upgrades and defraging tools.

Cooling your system properly keeps everything at top level.

Defrag and clrearing temporary files regularly.

keep it safe from viruses, trojans, malwares, spywares.

keep registry clean.

rezolution

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
I never overclock too; I don't have the time to troubleshoot. But my system runs as perfectly as the day I built it. It's currently a E6550, P35, 2GB, GTX260, ~2TB (from 4 drives total) desktop running XP pro. I just do some basic maintenance to keep it running at peak:

a. Don't install junk or unreliable/unstable programs.
b. Don't install junk or unreliable/unstable programs.
c. Don't install junk or unreliable/unstable programs.

Now that we have that out of the way :)

d. Regular scans with AVG 8, Anti-malware (malwarebytes) and spybot.

e. Defrag regularly. 2TB is a lot, and I cannot be bothered to do it manually, so I run Diskeeper 2009 Pro on automatic defrag. Does a fantastic job.

f. Use a router + Opera to keep the internet nasties out.

Hardware wise,

g. Use a good powersupply unit, regardless of whether you are overclocking. It's probably the single most important component in your system, with the capacity to fry all the other components if it goes bad.

e. Ensure adequate cooling. I have a large 120 mm front fan, 2x80mm side fans and 2x80 mm rear fans for cooling. My case is full tower aluminum.

That's about it really.

I don't partition my drives except for a small page file partition.

TRENDING THREADS