Pc boot prob diagnosis

zoodemon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
hi my pc has started failing on boot up, not always at the same spot. the fans wir up, not always sounding to steady or typical, and then sometimes it turns off before getting to windows password, sometimes after, and also sometimes after failed startup notification page (where it gives boot up options).

i have to switch it off at the plug and then start over, possibly up to 5 times before it will boot. once into windows it is fine and never crashes, seems quite stable.

how can i diagnose why it's turning off/losing power? would this have to be done in safe mode? any ideas what's going on. i have a sturdy psu although maybe it needs testing. is there anything i can do that with? especially if it holds boot up info?

thanks

zoodemon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
hi again, well i've cleaned it and it seems a little better, but has started to repeat the boot drop again. any diagnosing ideas?

thanks

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You may have hardware problems.

That kind of failure point in to four thing.

1 hard drive
2 power supply
3 ram
4 bois setting or motherboard

1) If you are using IDE cable for HD and OD, put the HD to primary controller and OD to secondary controller.

2) If you are using powerful graphics card, try switching to less power hungry card and disable other unit not required.

3) Download a testing software called "ultimate boot CD" (use it at your own risk so read more info before using it) it's a very good tool.

4) Check your bios settings and specially the jumper settings for your IDE devices.

Your hard drive may have bad clusters, so do a test.

OD = Optical Drive, just incase you're wondering.