[40k] How many SM scout snipers in low-point games?

In a small 400-500 point game, is it worth fielding a small number of sniper
rifle-equipped scouts in a 10-man scout unit? I was thinking of placing 2
or 3 in the unit, but point-wise and model-wise I could afford to go higher.
If it helps the analysis, here's the list I've been contemplating; it's for
that variant "Loyalist Death Guard" army I mentioned a while back. I'd be
fielding it in the local game store's 500-point version of Combat Patrol
league, so there's no compulsory HQ slot.

Space Marine army: Trust Your Battle Brothers, Cleanse and Purify, Flesh
Over Steel, We Stand Alone

Scout Squad #1 - 10 SM Scouts: 140pts
-2x sniper rifles
-2x shotguns
-5x bolters
-Sgt w/ BP/CCW

Scout Squad #2 - 10 SM Scouts: 130pts
-7x BP/CCW
-2x shotguns
-Sgt w/ BP/CCW

Veteran Squad - 10 Space Marines: 230pts
-True Grit and Counter-Assault (from Trust Your Battle Brothers)
-Infiltrate
-6x Bolters/CCWs
-1x Meltagun
-1x Flamer
-Sgt w/ Bolter, CCW

Now, before anyone complains about the shotgun scouts, they're in there
because I have a bunch of them I got by grabbing painted minis cheap off
eBay, and I'd rather use them here in my little "sideproject" Space Marine
army than the big one I build later (besides, as people here have said
before, they look cool and you just pull them as the first casualties from
the squad). So my question is, will 2 sniper rifles be worth taking here?
Or should I pull one veteran and throw in 2 or 3 extra sniper scouts, taking
it up to 4 or 5? I could also change the Veteran Squad to a regular
Tactical Squad and save 30 points - but I like the idea of having my whole
army Infiltrate.

Any thoughts?

--
Ken Coble

Then, feeling wonderful over all this sin they had just abolished, the
aldermen went a little further and made it unlawful for a male citizen to
carry a gun, fight, drink, gamble, swear, disturb the peace, expose himself
indecently, or "be seen in the company of a prostitute not his wife or some
other relative."
-Leon Claire Metz, _The Shooters_
3 answers Last reply
More about scout snipers point games

    "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > In a small 400-500 point game, is it worth fielding a small number of
    > sniper rifle-equipped scouts in a 10-man scout unit? I was thinking of
    > placing 2 or 3 in the unit, but point-wise and model-wise I could afford
    > to go higher. If it helps the analysis, here's the list I've been
    > contemplating; it's for that variant "Loyalist Death Guard" army I
    > mentioned a while back. I'd be fielding it in the local game store's
    > 500-point version of Combat Patrol league, so there's no compulsory HQ
    > slot.
    >
    > Space Marine army: Trust Your Battle Brothers, Cleanse and Purify, Flesh
    > Over Steel, We Stand Alone
    >
    > Scout Squad #1 - 10 SM Scouts: 140pts
    > -2x sniper rifles
    > -2x shotguns
    > -5x bolters
    > -Sgt w/ BP/CCW
    >
    > Scout Squad #2 - 10 SM Scouts: 130pts
    > -7x BP/CCW
    > -2x shotguns
    > -Sgt w/ BP/CCW
    >
    > Veteran Squad - 10 Space Marines: 230pts
    > -True Grit and Counter-Assault (from Trust Your Battle Brothers)
    > -Infiltrate
    > -6x Bolters/CCWs
    > -1x Meltagun
    > -1x Flamer
    > -Sgt w/ Bolter, CCW
    >
    > Now, before anyone complains about the shotgun scouts, they're in there
    > because I have a bunch of them I got by grabbing painted minis cheap off
    > eBay, and I'd rather use them here in my little "sideproject" Space Marine
    > army than the big one I build later (besides, as people here have said
    > before, they look cool and you just pull them as the first casualties from
    > the squad). So my question is, will 2 sniper rifles be worth taking here?
    > Or should I pull one veteran and throw in 2 or 3 extra sniper scouts,
    > taking it up to 4 or 5? I could also change the Veteran Squad to a
    > regular Tactical Squad and save 30 points - but I like the idea of having
    > my whole army Infiltrate.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    Sniper rifles only seem to do anything when used in bulk, so ideally you'd
    have a full squad of them. Maybe keep a couple of bolters as fodder ;)

    chris
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Chris wrote:
    <snip>
    > Sniper rifles only seem to do anything when used in bulk, so ideally
    > you'd have a full squad of them. Maybe keep a couple of bolters as
    > fodder ;)

    Well, I was thinking that I might pull one of the Veterans out. This will
    free up 21 points, so I can field a total of 6 sniper rifles. The
    alternative would be to pull one scout from each squad, which would give 26
    points back, allowing me to field 7 sniper rifles. But is one extra sniper
    rifle worth losing 2 models for in a small-point setup? Or is 6 rifles
    getting close enough to "bulk" that it should work?

    --
    Ken Coble

    Then, feeling wonderful over all this sin they had just abolished, the
    aldermen went a little further and made it unlawful for a male citizen
    to carry a gun, fight, drink, gamble, swear, disturb the peace, expose
    himself indecently, or "be seen in the company of a prostitute not his
    wife or some other relative." -Leon Claire Metz, _The Shooters_
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > Chris wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> Sniper rifles only seem to do anything when used in bulk, so ideally
    >> you'd have a full squad of them. Maybe keep a couple of bolters as
    >> fodder ;)
    >
    > Well, I was thinking that I might pull one of the Veterans out. This will
    > free up 21 points, so I can field a total of 6 sniper rifles. The
    > alternative would be to pull one scout from each squad, which would give
    > 26 points back, allowing me to field 7 sniper rifles. But is one extra
    > sniper rifle worth losing 2 models for in a small-point setup? Or is 6
    > rifles getting close enough to "bulk" that it should work?
    That depends on the target - 6 sniper rifles should be able to cause pinning
    tests on light infantry (4+ save or worse) every turn.
    That's 5/6 hits x 1/2 wnds x 1/2 saves, or a little over 1 kill per turn.
    Better for 5+ or 6+ saves, of course. Against power armour, it's a tougher
    proposition. One more sniper rifle (to a total of 7) and you're still shy of
    1 kill/turn vs. power armour. It's probably a safer bet to add in a heavy
    bolter.

    cheers,
    Chris

Games Video Games