[40k] Rapid Fire, Considering house rule

My group has been throwing around the idea of changing rapid fire
weapons to make the game a bit more shooty and less h2h heavy.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

The two ideas we are most likely going to go with are:

-12" move & double fire, 18" (or 15") move & single fire, 24" no move &
single fire

-Adding 3" to the range of ALL weapons, double fire & move would be 15",
no move & single fire would be 27", H.Bolter would be 39" etc.

Later

Lattes <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<vo2dnS6eIPrvj6rfRVn-tQ@rogers.com>...
> My group has been throwing around the idea of changing rapid fire
> weapons to make the game a bit more shooty and less h2h heavy.
>
> Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> The two ideas we are most likely going to go with are:
>
> -12" move & double fire, 18" (or 15") move & single fire, 24" no move &
> single fire

How will this work with 12" (death spinner} and 30" (pulse rifle)
weapons? Do as GW does at the moment and make the last category "up to
maximum range" rather than capped at 24", and confirm that no weapon
can extend its range using this rule (i.e. death spinners can't add 6"
or 12" to their range by lowering their rate of fire or remaining
stationary). Otherwise fine.

> -Adding 3" to the range of ALL weapons, double fire & move would be 15",
> no move & single fire would be 27", H.Bolter would be 39" etc.

Unnecessary, and a pain retrofitting to the existing weapons (unless
you write out new data sheets for all of them). With v4 rapid fire,
the trade-off between shooting within 12" and assaulting within the
same range is quite delibrate - allowing double-shooting beyond the
range where most enemies can assault would severely handicap armies
like Orks and (to a lesser extent due to fleet and the like) Tyranids.
Making the game shootier would be good, but you still have to consider
that you're working with a ruleset adapted for close combat-orientated
as well as ranged armies.

Philip Bowles

"Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message
> My group has been throwing around the idea of changing rapid fire weapons
> to make the game a bit more shooty and less h2h heavy.
>
> Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Well they've already made v4 more shooty than v3 but if you're group really
wants to make it even *more* shooty then here goes...

> The two ideas we are most likely going to go with are:
>
> -12" move & double fire, 18" (or 15") move & single fire, 24" no move &
> single fire

So you're just adding in the mid range move and single shot. Ok. Just make
sure all the armies in your group have access to roughly the same number of
rapid fire weapons.

> -Adding 3" to the range of ALL weapons, double fire & move would be 15",
> no move & single fire would be 27", H.Bolter would be 39" etc.

It would be best to keep all the weapon ranges the same relative to each
other (keep bolter range twice that of pistols, lascannons twice that of
bolters, etc.) so you would want to increase everything by X percent rather
than + X. The easier solution would be to decrease the movement distances
instead since that would require fewer changes to remember. Right now
movement is in multiples of 6" so you could change it to 5" which means you
change: 6" to 5", 12" to 10", and 24" to 20". Try it like that at first
and if it's not enough reduction than change to a multiple of 4". The
problem is figuring out what to about +d6 movement rules. I guess you could
just reroll 6s...

Have fun.

--

-smithdoerr

> Well they've already made v4 more shooty than v3 but if you're group really
> wants to make it even *more* shooty then here goes...

Thing is, that if we wanted to play h2h games, we would just play
fantasy battle

>>The two ideas we are most likely going to go with are:
>>
>>-12" move & double fire, 18" (or 15") move & single fire, 24" no move &
>>single fire
>

> So you're just adding in the mid range move and single shot. Ok. Just make
> sure all the armies in your group have access to roughly the same number of
> rapid fire weapons.

That is one of the big sticking points, one player plays eldar a lot,
which means they get a bit of a disadvantage on that. The main idea is
to make it so that you can move & fire and not get charged by the unit
you are firing at.... it really is a hard call because although it seems
like a small change, it changes the mechanics of the game quite a lot.

>>-Adding 3" to the range of ALL weapons, double fire & move would be 15",
>>no move & single fire would be 27", H.Bolter would be 39" etc.
>

> It would be best to keep all the weapon ranges the same relative to each
> other (keep bolter range twice that of pistols, lascannons twice that of
> bolters, etc.) so you would want to increase everything by X percent rather
> than + X. The easier solution would be to decrease the movement distances
> instead since that would require fewer changes to remember. Right now
> movement is in multiples of 6" so you could change it to 5" which means you
> change: 6" to 5", 12" to 10", and 24" to 20". Try it like that at first
> and if it's not enough reduction than change to a multiple of 4". The
> problem is figuring out what to about +d6 movement rules. I guess you could
> just reroll 6s...

We were throwing that idea around too and had the same problem of d6
movement.

Lattes wrote:
> My group has been throwing around the idea of changing rapid fire
> weapons to make the game a bit more shooty and less h2h heavy.

The problem isn't with Rapid Fire then. It's with excessive movement.

> Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Change standard Movement to 4", 6" for Eldar / Nids. Difficult Terrain
tests use d3s instead of d6.

Fleet, vehicles, and Jump troops move as normal.

Bikes move 9" / turbo to 18"; Jetbikes move 12", turbo 24".

Alternately, restore Overwatch...

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

You don't need to change the ranges, you just need to play with more
difficult ground. It is far less messy to change how movement works
than to rework the shooting. Why you ask, because every army more or
less moves that same, but how guns work are all over the place.

So, try a game or two with this.
Heavy Rain: The ground is knee deep mud. Any unit that is not on a
road counts all ground as difficult ground. Further more, models
subtract 1" from their rolls for difficult ground. Bikes and Jump
troops may move slow (6", no difficult ground roll) to safely move
through the mud, but still must test as normal for other terrain.
Bikes/jump troops moving faster must test as normal.

Then for set up, make sure you have some raised ground that isn't mud,
and plenty of roads too.

I've played using the mud rules, and with the right mix of terrain it
is fun.

-Maka

Lattes entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and
said...

> > Well they've already made v4 more shooty than v3 but if you're group really
> > wants to make it even *more* shooty then here goes...
>
> Thing is, that if we wanted to play h2h games, we would just play
> fantasy battle
>

> >>The two ideas we are most likely going to go with are:
> >>
> >>-12" move & double fire, 18" (or 15") move & single fire, 24" no move &
> >>single fire
> >

> > So you're just adding in the mid range move and single shot. Ok. Just make
> > sure all the armies in your group have access to roughly the same number of
> > rapid fire weapons.
>
> That is one of the big sticking points, one player plays eldar a lot,
> which means they get a bit of a disadvantage on that. The main idea is
> to make it so that you can move & fire and not get charged by the unit
> you are firing at.... it really is a hard call because although it seems
> like a small change, it changes the mechanics of the game quite a lot.
>

> >>-Adding 3" to the range of ALL weapons, double fire & move would be 15",
> >>no move & single fire would be 27", H.Bolter would be 39" etc.
> >

> > It would be best to keep all the weapon ranges the same relative to each
> > other (keep bolter range twice that of pistols, lascannons twice that of
> > bolters, etc.) so you would want to increase everything by X percent rather
> > than + X. The easier solution would be to decrease the movement distances
> > instead since that would require fewer changes to remember. Right now
> > movement is in multiples of 6" so you could change it to 5" which means you
> > change: 6" to 5", 12" to 10", and 24" to 20". Try it like that at first
> > and if it's not enough reduction than change to a multiple of 4". The
> > problem is figuring out what to about +d6 movement rules. I guess you could
> > just reroll 6s...
>
> We were throwing that idea around too and had the same problem of d6
> movement.

What problem, just leave the +d6 movement as is, it shouldn't come up often
enough to worry about...
--
Jim M

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"The only game I like to play is Old Maid - provided she's not too old." --
Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com

M_Steinke@hotmail.com wrote:
> You don't need to change the ranges, you just need to play with more
> difficult ground. It is far less messy to change how movement works
> than to rework the shooting. Why you ask, because every army more or
> less moves that same, but how guns work are all over the place.
>
> So, try a game or two with this.
> Heavy Rain: The ground is knee deep mud. Any unit that is not on a
> road counts all ground as difficult ground. Further more, models
> subtract 1" from their rolls for difficult ground. Bikes and Jump
> troops may move slow (6", no difficult ground roll) to safely move
> through the mud, but still must test as normal for other terrain.
> Bikes/jump troops moving faster must test as normal.
>
> Then for set up, make sure you have some raised ground that isn't mud,
> and plenty of roads too.
>
> I've played using the mud rules, and with the right mix of terrain it
> is fun.
>
> -Maka

Totally freakin' brilliant! Thanks so much, I think that is a great
solution, especialy because putting a few roads through the game makes
them serious strategic points worth defending, + they will most likely
give long clear shots for artillery units.