Closed

Want to rebuild a pc but not sure where to start..

Hello, First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I've been given an eMachines 620 pc (I'll state specs in a moment) as I don't have a computer and am wondering if anyone can help me work out what I should upgrade on it. Generally, I would be using it for the internet like msn, watching anime online occasionally, most likely a little bit of gaming and storing music.

Currently it is:

Intel Pentium 4
2.8Ghz Intel Celeron Processor
512mb DDR Ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
80 GB hard drive (Ouch.. That's nothing compared to most things nowadays xD)

I also ran Aida so I could find out more as I had no idea what motherboard it has.. It told me:
Motherboard name: Unknown
Motherboard chipset: Intel Springdale-G i865g

At the moment it's running Windows xp service pack 2 as well.

If anyone needs any more information about other specifications it has at the moment, please don't hesitate to ask. I wasn't really sure how much was necessary to state.

Thankyou, in advance to anyone that can be of assistance to me (Although I feel like a right noob :lol: )
11 answers Last reply
More about want rebuild start
  1. What's your budget for this upgrade?
  2. There isn't really a budget as such as I was just going to do it over a bit of time, as and when but I don't really want to do anything majorly expensive on it just yet.

Oh and I found out what motherboard it has, it's an Asrock Prescott 800 dual channel DDR 400
  3. Since you just do a little gaming, you may be able to get away with just a hard drive and video card upgrade, and some added RAM.

You could upgrade to a PCIe video card, such as a radeon 4670, 4770, or 5770. They are all fairly reasonable HD video cards. This will likely also require a PSU upgrade.

An upgrade to at least 1GB of RAM would be helpful, specially if running Vista or Windows 7.

For ~ $55, you can get a 500GB Samsung spinpoint F3 hard drive. It's one of the quickest 7200 rpm hard drives available.
  4. I've had a look around and I think I have a foot in the right direction now, thanks to you ^^ Thankyou for your time :)
  5. Ooh one more question if I may, If I do upgrade my graphics card and I do require a PSU upgrade; is there a particular wattage PSU that I would need? The one that's in there at the moment says the max output power is 350W.
    Sorry for bothering you again xD
  6. It's important to have the proper PCIe power connector(s), and enough power on the 12v rail(s). The wattage isn't as big of a deal. For a single video card setup, this OCZ PSU is my top choice.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022&Tpk=ocz%20550w

Hope this helps.....
  7. Ohhh I was actually looking at that one earlier! =D
    Awesome
    Thankyou again ^^
  8. You're welcome
  9. Hi
    ECS MCP61SM-GM Mainboard is what i got just wanted to know what lastest cpu i could run in this media pc i got thanks Current CPU: Athlon 64 i know it takes 940pin just not sure which one its AM2. Thanks :??:
  10. Avid001 said:
    Hi
    ECS MCP61SM-GM Mainboard is what i got just wanted to know what lastest cpu i could run in this media pc i got thanks Current CPU: Athlon 64 i know it takes 940pin just not sure which one its AM2. Thanks :??:

You should start your own thread for this.
  11. This topic has been closed by Aford10
Ask a new question

Read More

eMachines Computers Product