New Build, BSOD problems

thatchackguy

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I just Built this computer last week and have been getting BSOD periodicaly, mostly when I play a game. But a few times just while sitting on the Desktop. Much help would be appriciated.

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 10/3/2012 8:43:16 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100312-17924-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71ED0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 10/3/2012 8:43:16 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ndis.sys (ndis!NdisReleaseReadWriteLock+0x9D)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
description: NDIS 6.20 driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 10/1/2012 3:23:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100112-14695-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF800023D7270, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002B87AAE, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

guhati

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

You shouldn't be getting any errors unless you are running a memory that is incompatible to the mobo. Try with one stick in modules. If you get any errors post here. Make sure that the memory is seated well in the modules before starting the memtest.

thatchackguy

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

My motherboard is the Asus M5 A99FX Pro r2.0 and I'm using 2 4gb gskill sniper ram 1600MHz. I don't know why the wouldn't be compatible. And the test is still running, I already planed on doing 1 stick at a time.

thatchackguy

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

So after I have I let it run for these past 5 hours I have yet to get any errors like I did the first time. I even ran one stick at a time and got nothing So far.

thatchackguy

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
And now a new BSOD problem. Ugh... :pfff:
These errors happend while playing Dirt3, I was able to recreaat the crash a few times, I also tried to play Skyrim, managed to make it 10min before it BSOD again. A few days ago my computer crashed while trying to play minecraft aswell. Whats in common is that before the crash the game will jerk/freeze and start runing okay again before it finally fails.

On Thu 10/4/2012 4:20:06 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100312-12807-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1+0x1EA5F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x40000000, 0xFFFFF88005BFF6C8, 0xFFFFF88005BFEF20)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 10/4/2012 4:20:06 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1!VidMmInterface+0xD19F)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x40000000, 0xFFFFF88005BFF6C8, 0xFFFFF88005BFEF20)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

On Thu 10/4/2012 4:06:12 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100312-12495-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF89FA91D51F0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800121E0EF, 0x5)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

When you ran the RAM tests did you:

1. Run 3 cycles on each stick in each of the 4 slots?
2. Run 3 cycles on both sticks in alternate pairs of slots?
3. Swap the order of the sticks and repeat test 2?

I'm still betting faulty RAM but it could also be a motherboard issue. You aren't overclocking are you?

thatchackguy

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

I ran both sticks for 3 cycles in 2 diffrents slots with no problems. Ran both sticks in the first slot for 3 cyles with no problems. I guess I'll try alternating slots now.

Walked away form my computer for a few miniuts and cae back to this, was just sitting on the desktop.

On Thu 10/4/2012 4:55:28 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100312-12012-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys (dxgmms1+0x20CF7)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880053BFCF7, 0xFFFFF88005BE96A8, 0xFFFFF88005BE8F00)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Could be one of two things them:

1: A RAM slot failed. This can happen, but is still pretty rare.

2: When using four sticks of RAM, the memory controller/RAM/northbridge is not receiving consistent voltage, leading to RAM errors and BSOD's. [Can happen with some budget boards/PSU's]

Clearly the RAM subsystem though.

I'm leaning toward Mobo/PSU then.

It looks like the RAM sticks themselves are good, but when you test all four together, you get failures. This indicates that the RAM probably isn't receiving stable voltage when four sticks are installed.

As a test, if you run with only two sticks, I assume no BSODs come up? If so, then I'm almost certain the mobo/PSU is at fault.

Which again makes sense if the RAM has a problem. I have no doubt theres a problem SOMEWHERE in the memory subsystem (confirmed by memtest with all four sticks in), I'm just not sure WHY yet.

thatchackguy

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

My specs are. Mobo: Asus M5 A99FX Pro R2.0
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 965 BE
PSU: 700w OCZ
GPU: Asus 2gb 7850
RAM: 2 4gb gskill sniper

RussK1

Splendid

What mode are you in? Ganged or unganged. And is the ram set to specs... speed, timings and voltage?