What utility can create a new partition?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
there any free XP utility to do it?

I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
again.
9 answers Last reply
More about what utility create partition
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    firemanacab@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
    > installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder.
    > Is there any free XP utility to do it?
    >
    > I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about
    > $50 and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
    > again.

    You might try the Ranesh partitioner. I have never used it but it has
    been around for a long time. BootITNG is not free, but you can download
    a fully functional trial version. If you like it, it is fairly
    inexpensive.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    <firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
    > installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
    > there any free XP utility to do it?
    >
    > I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
    > and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
    > again.

    Start --> Help and support --> type in Disk Partition --> read how to do it.

    Kerry
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You can partition, format and assign a drive letter through Disk Management
    Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    <firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote:
    |I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
    | installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
    | there any free XP utility to do it?
    |
    | I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
    | and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
    | again.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    In news:1122484165.569585.72030@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    firemanacab@yahoo.com <firemanacab@yahoo.com> typed:

    > I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs
    > and XP
    > installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the
    > remainder.
    > Is there any free XP utility to do it?
    >
    > I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs
    > about
    > $50 and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever
    > use it
    > again.

    You have 5GB of unpartitioned space? You don't need any special
    utility, since XP provides this capability. Go to Start | Run and
    type diskmgmt.msc.

    However, if you have an XP partition that's only 7G, I think it's
    far too little. You may be OK now, but as you install more
    software, you'll start to feel the pinch. I wouldn't want to use
    any less than the full 12GB (or even more) for an XP partition.

    Unfortunately if you take my advice above, you can't change what
    you've already created with diskmgmt. No version of Windows
    provides any way of changing the existing partition structure of
    the drive nondestructively. The only way to do what you want is
    with third-party software. Partition Magic is the best-known such
    program, but there are freeware/shareware alternatives. One such
    program is BootIt Next Generation. It's shareware, but comes with
    a free 30-day trial, so you should be able to do what you want
    within that 30 days. I haven't used it myself, but it comes
    highly recommended by several other MVPs here.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Start, Help and Support, Disk Management should get you where you need
    to be.

    firemanacab@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
    > installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
    > there any free XP utility to do it?
    >
    > I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
    > and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
    > again.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    <firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote...
    >I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
    > installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
    > there any free XP utility to do it?

    Disk Manager, part of XP.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    <firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
    > installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
    > there any free XP utility to do it?
    >
    > I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
    > and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
    > again.

    Rt-clk on My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management.
    In the graphic representation of space on the chosen hard drive,
    rt-clk on Unallocated space. Choose New Partition and follow the
    wizard.

    *TimDaniels*
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    start > run > diskmgmt.msc

    Right-click spare space > format /delete etc

    Jon

    <firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
    > installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
    > there any free XP utility to do it?
    >
    > I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
    > and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
    > again.

    I think it "ranish" and not "ranesh"...

    > firemanacab@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
    >> installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder.
    >> Is there any free XP utility to do it?
    >>
    >> I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about
    >> $50 and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
    >> again.
    >
    > You might try the Ranesh partitioner. I have never used it but it has
    > been around for a long time. BootITNG is not free, but you can download
    > a fully functional trial version. If you like it, it is fairly
    > inexpensive.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers