What utility can create a new partition?

July 27, 2005 2:09:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
there any free XP utility to do it?

I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
again.
July 27, 2005 2:14:58 PM

firemanacab@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
> installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder.
> Is there any free XP utility to do it?
>
> I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about
> $50 and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
> again.

You might try the Ranesh partitioner. I have never used it but it has
been around for a long time. BootITNG is not free, but you can download
a fully functional trial version. If you like it, it is fairly
inexpensive.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

<firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
> installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
> there any free XP utility to do it?
>
> I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
> and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
> again.

Start --> Help and support --> type in Disk Partition --> read how to do it.

Kerry
July 27, 2005 3:18:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You can partition, format and assign a drive letter through Disk Management
Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote:
|I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
| installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
| there any free XP utility to do it?
|
| I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
| and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
| again.

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:51:33 PM

In news:1122484165.569585.72030@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
firemanacab@yahoo.com <firemanacab@yahoo.com> typed:

> I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs
> and XP
> installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the
> remainder.
> Is there any free XP utility to do it?
>
> I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs
> about
> $50 and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever
> use it
> again.

You have 5GB of unpartitioned space? You don't need any special
utility, since XP provides this capability. Go to Start | Run and
type diskmgmt.msc.

However, if you have an XP partition that's only 7G, I think it's
far too little. You may be OK now, but as you install more
software, you'll start to feel the pinch. I wouldn't want to use
any less than the full 12GB (or even more) for an XP partition.

Unfortunately if you take my advice above, you can't change what
you've already created with diskmgmt. No version of Windows
provides any way of changing the existing partition structure of
the drive nondestructively. The only way to do what you want is
with third-party software. Partition Magic is the best-known such
program, but there are freeware/shareware alternatives. One such
program is BootIt Next Generation. It's shareware, but comes with
a free 30-day trial, so you should be able to do what you want
within that 30 days. I haven't used it myself, but it comes
highly recommended by several other MVPs here.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:15:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Start, Help and Support, Disk Management should get you where you need
to be.

firemanacab@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
> installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
> there any free XP utility to do it?
>
> I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
> and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
> again.

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:41:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

<firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote...
>I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
> installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
> there any free XP utility to do it?

Disk Manager, part of XP.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 7:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

<firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
> installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
> there any free XP utility to do it?
>
> I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
> and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
> again.

Rt-clk on My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management.
In the graphic representation of space on the chosen hard drive,
rt-clk on Unallocated space. Choose New Partition and follow the
wizard.

*TimDaniels*
July 27, 2005 10:16:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

start > run > diskmgmt.msc

Right-click spare space > format /delete etc

Jon

<firemanacab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 12 GB hard disk with a partition created for 7 gigs and XP
> installed on it. I want to create a new partition for the remainder. Is
> there any free XP utility to do it?
>
> I dont want to use something like partition magic as it costs about $50
> and that is too much for a single task. I likely won't ever use it
> again.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:16:34 AM

I think it "ranish" and not "ranesh"...