MikeRP

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004
I just bought a some Geil 2x512 memory PC3200. Dual Channel DDR.
for my 939 motherboard. What's the difference between Dual Channel DDR and DDR2. Did I mess up by not buying DDR2?

Thanks

Mike

You're ok. DDR2 is not supported by AMD at this time. The dual channel that Geil is advertising means that the memory sticks are a matched pair and will work in dual channel mode.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Socket 939 does not support DDR2, in fact no AMD board does right now.
Only the newer Intel ones.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

MikeRP

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004
Thanks guys - you are fast!

Is this memory any good? Can it be overclocked. I have MSI motherboard. How do you put it in dual channel mode?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MikeRP on 07/20/05 02:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I don't know how good that memory overclocks, but if it's not a good overclocker you can still OC using the dividers.
By running the matched pair in the correct slots (check manual) you should be running in dual channel mode.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

G

Geil doesnt overclock at much!
Its really good memory in my experience but you will get what you paid for in that cas DDR400!
This ram will do whats on the label not much but as drunken mentionned, youu can use memory divider without having much performance penality on the AMD.

That will allow you to overclock your CPU without overclocking the ram!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Better OC possibilities with the OCZ Value VX. It costs around $105 right now, but likes a lot of V to max the OC.