Dump and reboot continuously

July 27, 2005 2:17:06 PM

Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the recovery
console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past the
splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I have
had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
windows update kicked in.

Thanks for any input
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:01:49 PM

Control Panel|System|Advanced|Startup and Recovery, uncheck "Automatically
reboot"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Vagrant" wrote:
| Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
recovery
| console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
the
| splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I
have
| had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
| the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
| windows update kicked in.
|
| Thanks for any input

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:01:50 PM

Right, can't get to the control panel in either safemode or normal. The only
place I can go is to the recovery console without reboot. The dump/reboot
happens at the splash screen before entering windows.

Thanks for the reply

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Control Panel|System|Advanced|Startup and Recovery, uncheck "Automatically
> reboot"
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Vagrant" wrote:
> | Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
> recovery
> | console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
> the
> | splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I
> have
> | had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
> | the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
> | windows update kicked in.
> |
> | Thanks for any input

July 27, 2005 4:19:34 PM

I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
then navigate to the
%windir%\system32\config
directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
controlset, then navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
"CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
"LogEvent"=dword:00000001
"Overwrite"=dword:00000001
Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
the stop error.

Bug Check Codes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddto...

If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
prior to rebuilding the operating system.

This article may also help you.

"Vagrant" wrote:
| Right, can't get to the control panel in either safemode or normal. The
only
| place I can go is to the recovery console without reboot. The dump/reboot
| happens at the splash screen before entering windows.
|
| Thanks for the reply
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:19:35 PM

Thanks Dave,
I may have to use this if all else fails. I've already backed up the data
from this machine but "as usual" the owner lost their software recovery and
install disks so their software will be lost.

Thanks again for the reply

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
> regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
> then navigate to the
> %windir%\system32\config
> directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
> Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
> and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
> controlset, then navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
> Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows
>
> "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
> "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
> "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
> "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
> Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
> original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
> the stop error.
>
> Bug Check Codes
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddto...
>
> If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
> prior to rebuilding the operating system.
>
> This article may also help you.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Vagrant" wrote:
> | Right, can't get to the control panel in either safemode or normal. The
> only
> | place I can go is to the recovery console without reboot. The dump/reboot
> | happens at the splash screen before entering windows.
> |
> | Thanks for the reply

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 6:40:55 PM

You're welcome.

--

"Vagrant" wrote:
| Thanks Dave,
| I may have to use this if all else fails. I've already backed up the data
| from this machine but "as usual" the owner lost their software recovery
and
| install disks so their software will be lost.
|
| Thanks again for the reply
July 27, 2005 10:30:53 PM

Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option (after tapping f8
on startup)

Jon

"Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 779EF35-9DCF-40AF-8F0A-6537BCD2BCC3@microsoft.com...
> Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
> recovery
> console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
> the
> splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I
> have
> had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
> the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
> windows update kicked in.
>
> Thanks for any input

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:30:54 PM

Thanks for the reply,
I tried that as well and get the same blue screen/restart

"Jon" wrote:

> Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option (after tapping f8
> on startup)
>
> Jon
>

> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 779EF35-9DCF-40AF-8F0A-6537BCD2BCC3@microsoft.com...
> > Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
> > recovery
> > console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
> > the
> > splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I
> > have
> > had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
> > the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
> > windows update kicked in.
> >
> > Thanks for any input

July 27, 2005 11:14:26 PM

The registry key that needs changing is

AutoReboot

(Dword value 1 = Reboot enabled , 0 = disabled)

at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

There are 3rd party utilities that you can download that you can use for
offline registry editing eg from a bootable floppy or cd

> Thanks for the reply,
> I tried that as well and get the same blue screen/restart
>

> "Jon" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option (after tapping
>> f8
>> on startup)
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 779EF35-9DCF-40AF-8F0A-6537BCD2BCC3@microsoft.com...
>> > Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
>> > recovery
>> > console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
>> > the
>> > splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it.
>> > have
>> > had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r
>> > and
>> > the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when
>> > the
>> > windows update kicked in.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any input

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:14:27 PM

Thanks,
I'll look around for a utility

"Jon" wrote:

> The registry key that needs changing is
>
> AutoReboot
>
> (Dword value 1 = Reboot enabled , 0 = disabled)
>
> at
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
>
> There are 3rd party utilities that you can download that you can use for
> offline registry editing eg from a bootable floppy or cd
>
> Jon
>

> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply,
> > I tried that as well and get the same blue screen/restart
> >

> > "Jon" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option (after tapping
> >> f8
> >> on startup)
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>

> >> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 779EF35-9DCF-40AF-8F0A-6537BCD2BCC3@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:14:28 PM

Any ideas who makes a good bootable registry editor??

Thanks

"Vagrant" wrote:

> Thanks,
> I'll look around for a utility
>

> "Jon" wrote:
>
> > The registry key that needs changing is
> >
> > AutoReboot
> >
> > (Dword value 1 = Reboot enabled , 0 = disabled)
> >
> > at
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
> >
> > There are 3rd party utilities that you can download that you can use for
> > offline registry editing eg from a bootable floppy or cd
> >
> > Jon
> >

> > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for the reply,
> > > I tried that as well and get the same blue screen/restart

July 28, 2005 10:00:32 AM

If you download the file bd050303.zip file from this page (in the download
section at the bottom)

Extract it, insert a floppy, and click on the install.bat file to create a
bootable floppy
(press "a" when prompted for the drive)

Reboot (may need to change BIOS order to boot from floppy)

When the program has started enter.....

1 (to select appropriate partition number)
(press enter) (Press enter to accept default path to registry files)
system (loads the system hive)
9 (chooses Registry Editor)

cd Select (careful - Case sensitive for registry key names)
dir (look at value of "Current" key for Control set number,
as Dave suggested)

cd .. (goes up a level)
cd ControlSet003 (eg if the control set number was 3, yours may be
different)
cd Control
cd CrashControl
dir (shows current value of the AutoReboot
key)
ed AutoReboot (to edit the AutoReboot key)
0 (change value to 0 and press return)
y (NB Writes file - may produce error messages but still changes the
key )

Remove floppy and press ctrl-alt-delete to reboot

news:D 8DDC3D2-2093-4C7C-BF30-9DAFCEBC5F35@microsoft.com...
> Any ideas who makes a good bootable registry editor??
>
> Thanks
>
> "Vagrant" wrote:
>
>> Thanks,
>> I'll look around for a utility
>>

>> "Jon" wrote:
>>
>> > The registry key that needs changing is
>> >
>> > AutoReboot
>> >
>> > (Dword value 1 = Reboot enabled , 0 = disabled)
>> >
>> > at
>> >
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
>> >
>> > There are 3rd party utilities that you can download that you can use
>> > for
>> > offline registry editing eg from a bootable floppy or cd
>> >
>> > Jon
>> >

>> > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

July 28, 2005 10:06:33 AM

oops ...wrong link