Dump and reboot continuously

Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the recovery
console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past the
splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I have
had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
windows update kicked in.

Thanks for any input
12 answers Last reply
More about dump reboot continuously

    Control Panel|System|Advanced|Startup and Recovery, uncheck "Automatically
    reboot"

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Vagrant" wrote:
    | Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
    recovery
    | console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
    the
    | splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I
    have
    | had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
    | the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
    | windows update kicked in.
    |
    | Thanks for any input

    Right, can't get to the control panel in either safemode or normal. The only
    place I can go is to the recovery console without reboot. The dump/reboot
    happens at the splash screen before entering windows.

    Thanks for the reply

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Control Panel|System|Advanced|Startup and Recovery, uncheck "Automatically
    > reboot"
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Vagrant" wrote:
    > | Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
    > recovery
    > | console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
    > the
    > | splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I
    > have
    > | had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
    > | the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
    > | windows update kicked in.
    > |
    > | Thanks for any input

    I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
    regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
    then navigate to the
    %windir%\system32\config
    directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
    Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
    and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
    controlset, then navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
    Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

    "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
    "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
    "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
    Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
    original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
    the stop error.

    Bug Check Codes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp

    If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
    prior to rebuilding the operating system.

    This article may also help you.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_jyof.asp

    --

    "Vagrant" wrote:
    | Right, can't get to the control panel in either safemode or normal. The
    only
    | place I can go is to the recovery console without reboot. The dump/reboot
    | happens at the splash screen before entering windows.
    |
    | Thanks for the reply

    Thanks Dave,
    I may have to use this if all else fails. I've already backed up the data
    from this machine but "as usual" the owner lost their software recovery and
    install disks so their software will be lost.

    Thanks again for the reply

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
    > regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
    > then navigate to the
    > %windir%\system32\config
    > directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
    > Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
    > and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
    > controlset, then navigate to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
    > Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows
    >
    > "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
    > "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
    > "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
    > "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
    > Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
    > original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
    > the stop error.
    >
    > Bug Check Codes
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp
    >
    > If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
    > prior to rebuilding the operating system.
    >
    > This article may also help you.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_jyof.asp
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Vagrant" wrote:
    > | Right, can't get to the control panel in either safemode or normal. The
    > only
    > | place I can go is to the recovery console without reboot. The dump/reboot
    > | happens at the splash screen before entering windows.
    > |
    > | Thanks for the reply

    You're welcome.

    --

    "Vagrant" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave,
    | I may have to use this if all else fails. I've already backed up the data
    | from this machine but "as usual" the owner lost their software recovery
    and
    | install disks so their software will be lost.
    |
    | Thanks again for the reply

    Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option (after tapping f8
    on startup)

    Jon

    "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
    > recovery
    > console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
    > the
    > splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I
    > have
    > had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
    > the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
    > windows update kicked in.
    >
    > Thanks for any input

    Thanks for the reply,
    I tried that as well and get the same blue screen/restart

    "Jon" wrote:

    > Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option (after tapping f8
    > on startup)
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
    > > recovery
    > > console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
    > > the
    > > splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it. I
    > > have
    > > had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r and
    > > the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when the
    > > windows update kicked in.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any input

    The registry key that needs changing is

    AutoReboot

    (Dword value 1 = Reboot enabled , 0 = disabled)

    at

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

    There are 3rd party utilities that you can download that you can use for
    offline registry editing eg from a bootable floppy or cd

    > Thanks for the reply,
    > I tried that as well and get the same blue screen/restart
    >

    > "Jon" wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option (after tapping
    >> f8
    >> on startup)
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>

    >> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there a way to tell WinXP home to NOT reboot on errors from the
    >> > recovery
    >> > console? I tried to do a windows update and now windows won't boot past
    >> > the
    >> > splash screen. It gives a blue screen but reboots too fast to read it.
    >> > have
    >> > had this repair successfully ONE time using a combination of CHKDSK /r
    >> > and
    >> > the windows repair (like 3 times each) but the problem came back when
    >> > the
    >> > windows update kicked in.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any input

    Thanks,
    I'll look around for a utility

    "Jon" wrote:

    > The registry key that needs changing is
    >
    > AutoReboot
    >
    > (Dword value 1 = Reboot enabled , 0 = disabled)
    >
    > at
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
    >
    > There are 3rd party utilities that you can download that you can use for
    > offline registry editing eg from a bootable floppy or cd
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply,
    > > I tried that as well and get the same blue screen/restart
    > >

    > > "Jon" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option (after tapping
    > >> f8
    > >> on startup)
    > >>
    > >> Jon
    > >>

    > >> "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Any ideas who makes a good bootable registry editor??

    Thanks

    "Vagrant" wrote:

    > Thanks,
    > I'll look around for a utility
    >

    > "Jon" wrote:
    >
    > > The registry key that needs changing is
    > >
    > > AutoReboot
    > >
    > > (Dword value 1 = Reboot enabled , 0 = disabled)
    > >
    > > at
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
    > >
    > > There are 3rd party utilities that you can download that you can use for
    > > offline registry editing eg from a bootable floppy or cd
    > >
    > > Jon
    > >

    > > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the reply,
    > > > I tried that as well and get the same blue screen/restart

    If you download the file bd050303.zip file from this page (in the download
    section at the bottom)

    Extract it, insert a floppy, and click on the install.bat file to create a
    bootable floppy
    (press "a" when prompted for the drive)

    Reboot (may need to change BIOS order to boot from floppy)

    When the program has started enter.....

    1 (to select appropriate partition number)
    (press enter) (Press enter to accept default path to registry files)
    system (loads the system hive)
    9 (chooses Registry Editor)

    cd Select (careful - Case sensitive for registry key names)
    dir (look at value of "Current" key for Control set number,
    as Dave suggested)

    cd .. (goes up a level)
    cd ControlSet003 (eg if the control set number was 3, yours may be
    different)
    cd Control
    cd CrashControl
    dir (shows current value of the AutoReboot
    key)
    ed AutoReboot (to edit the AutoReboot key)
    0 (change value to 0 and press return)
    y (NB Writes file - may produce error messages but still changes the
    key )

    Remove floppy and press ctrl-alt-delete to reboot

    > Any ideas who makes a good bootable registry editor??
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Vagrant" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks,
    >> I'll look around for a utility
    >>

    >> "Jon" wrote:
    >>
    >> > The registry key that needs changing is
    >> >
    >> > AutoReboot
    >> >
    >> > (Dword value 1 = Reboot enabled , 0 = disabled)
    >> >
    >> > at
    >> >
    >> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
    >> >
    >> > There are 3rd party utilities that you can download that you can use
    >> > for
    >> > offline registry editing eg from a bootable floppy or cd
    >> >
    >> > Jon
    >> >

    >> > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    oops ...wrong link

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    Jon

    "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
    > If you download the file bd050303.zip file from this page (in the download
    > section at the bottom)
    >
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > Extract it, insert a floppy, and click on the install.bat file to create a
    > bootable floppy
    > (press "a" when prompted for the drive)
    >
    > Reboot (may need to change BIOS order to boot from floppy)
    >
    > When the program has started enter.....
    >
    > 1 (to select appropriate partition number)
    > (press enter) (Press enter to accept default path to registry files)
    > system (loads the system hive)
    > 9 (chooses Registry Editor)
    >
    > cd Select (careful - Case sensitive for registry key names)
    > dir (look at value of "Current" key for Control set
    > number, as Dave suggested)
    >
    > cd .. (goes up a level)
    > cd ControlSet003 (eg if the control set number was 3, yours may be
    > different)
    > cd Control
    > cd CrashControl
    > dir (shows current value of the AutoReboot
    > key)
    > ed AutoReboot (to edit the AutoReboot key)
    > 0 (change value to 0 and press return)
    > y (NB Writes file - may produce error messages but still changes the
    > key )
    >
    > Remove floppy and press ctrl-alt-delete to reboot
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "Vagrant" <Vagrant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Any ideas who makes a good bootable registry editor??
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Vagrant" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> I'll look around for a utility