Sign in with
Your question

Deleting a corrupt file

Last response: in Windows 7
October 2, 2012 6:02:41 PM

Hey guys im not quite sure if this is the right thread for this question but i have this corrupt file on my computer, my OS is windows 7 and no matter what i seem to do the file wont delete. This file is like a ghost, its not on my hardrive and there's nothing in it, its just sitting in my library in my pictures section. The file location is C:\Users\Steven\Pictures, and the file name is 50292_132656813424_564_q. Like i said this file is like invincible to everything i throw at it. Ive tried unlocker and renaming it and also tried using CMD commands to try and delete it but my computer cant find it. Does anyone know how to fix this issue??

More about : deleting corrupt file

a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 6:07:34 PM

Open a commandline window. Type "chkdsk /f /v" (without the quotes), answer Y when prompted, then reboot. There's a good chance it's just a ghost and cleaning up the file system will make it go away.
m
l
October 2, 2012 6:10:18 PM

ive tried that, and i also tried a safe mode boot to see if i could do anything there also :/ 
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2012 6:12:19 PM

yeah ive tried that too
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 6:12:59 PM

i would clear your cache from IE, and if you don't have CCleaner, get it and run it
http://www.piriform.com/
m
l
October 2, 2012 6:14:15 PM

dingo07 said:
i would clear your cache from IE, and if you don't have CCleaner, get it and run it
http://www.piriform.com/

I have ccleaner and ive also tried that
m
l
October 2, 2012 6:18:36 PM

Have you tried replacing the file? Just copy and paste something over with the same file name and see if it lets you. If not, I would consider doing a system restore and see if that helps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 6:21:06 PM

can you see properties of the file? if you right mouse-click it? if u open it with notepad, is there anything in it?
m
l
October 2, 2012 6:30:35 PM

wintermint said:
Have you tried replacing the file? Just copy and paste something over with the same file name and see if it lets you. If not, I would consider doing a system restore and see if that helps.

yeah ive tried replacing it and move it to other locations but its corrupt so i can for example only paste it in another location but the original file will stay in my pictures document,
m
l
October 2, 2012 6:35:14 PM

dingo07 said:
can you see properties of the file? if you right mouse-click it? if u open it with notepad, is there anything in it?

it has a size of 0 bytes so it has 0 bytes on my hardrive, it has an "A" for attributes, i cant open it with note pad, i cant copy and paste in in notepad either
m
l
!