Audigy 2 ZS freezes my computer

Punkguy424

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
You guys are my last hope. have asked around and no one really knows what could be wrong.

So i recently bought the Audigy 2 ZS as well as Logitech X-530 5.1 speaker set for my computer. came fast, everything looked great and sounded great.....until the issues. whenever i watch a movie, play an mp3, or anything that requires sound, my speakers will crackle for a few seconds then the computer will freeze. only way i can get back is to restart my system.

and apparently it does it when i'm not using the sound as well. i'll leave my computer on during the night for something i'm downloading, and the next morning it has restarted by itself.

now i have disabled my onboard sound, took out all my other PCI cards accept for the sound card, moved the soundcard to a different PCI slot and none of this has worked. I've also updated my sound card drivers, my video drivers, my motherboard drivers, and windows xp. still freezing and restarting on me. anything at all i can do other than return the card?

if you need to know i'm running:

AMD 64 3500
1024mb corsair ram
MSI RS480M2 motherboard
ATI X700 Pro 256mb vid card
Audigy 2 ZS soundcard (obviously lol)
36 gig raptor 10k hardrive
200 gig SATA western digital hardrive
Aspire Xnavigator case with 4 led fans and a 450w psu

any help at all would be greatly appreciated,

thanks Dave

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Try installing your card in another PC to isolate if it's a problem with the sound card or your system.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

Punkguy424

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
if it wasn't the sound card what else could be causing my computer to freeze? i mean i know it has to have something to do with the soundcard because it started as soon as i got it. but ya i'm not sure if its a conflict with the sound card and my vid card or motherboard, or if its just the soundcard.

i think to avoid all the hassle i'm just gonna get an RMA kid from where i got it and go with the M-AUDIO REVOLUTION 7.1 PCI sound card and hope that will run fine.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
The problem is with the sound card but it could be a good sound card conflicting with something you have in your PC, or it could be a bad sound card.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

cookingfrags

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004
check for a conflict.

in the Device Manager, does it:

say the card is working properly?
and does the dropdown list of hardware keep refreshing every few seconds?