XP - Defrag - Scan

I just purchased a new computer -with XP - I notice that there is no Scan any
longer only defrag - My hard drive is 160 - just curious as to how often have
to/should run defrag. On the boards I have read where people are running
some kind of scan - is that necessary.
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about defrag scan

    In news:AC314684-407D-431B-9E8D-309C7C51AE94@microsoft.com,
    GP <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I just purchased a new computer -with XP - I notice that there
    > is no
    > Scan

    "Scan"? Do you mean Scandisk? The XP equivalent is called
    Chkdisk.

    > any longer only defrag - My hard drive is 160 - just curious as
    > to how often have to/should run defrag.

    There's no answer that's right for everyone. It depends on how
    you use your computer and it depends on how much you use your
    computer.

    You should defragment your drive when doing so results in a speed
    up. Here's what I recommend. Pick some arbitrary interval--for
    example once a month. Defragment on that interval a few times,
    and assess whether the computer generally feels faster after
    doing so. If the answer is yes, defrag more frequently. If the
    answer is no, defrag less frequently.

    Repeat a few times, and you'll soon settle into a frequency that
    works well for you.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    when I go to programs accessories - no chkdsk listed.

    In news:C2458762-09B9-407E-BC47-8BEA99D68E23@microsoft.com,
    GP <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > when I go to programs accessories - no chkdsk listed.

    Run it from the Start | Run line.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:AC314684-407D-431B-9E8D-309C7C51AE94@microsoft.com,
    >> GP <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I just purchased a new computer -with XP - I notice that
    >>> there
    >>> is no
    >>> Scan
    >>

    >> "Scan"? Do you mean Scandisk? The XP equivalent is called
    >> Chkdisk.
    >>

    >>> any longer only defrag - My hard drive is 160 - just curious
    >>> as
    >>> to how often have to/should run defrag.
    >>
    >> There's no answer that's right for everyone. It depends on how
    >> you use your computer and it depends on how much you use your
    >> computer.
    >>

    >> You should defragment your drive when doing so results in a
    >> speed
    >> up. Here's what I recommend. Pick some arbitrary interval--for
    >> example once a month. Defragment on that interval a few times,
    >> and assess whether the computer generally feels faster after
    >> doing so. If the answer is yes, defrag more frequently. If the
    >> answer is no, defrag less frequently.
    >>

    >> Repeat a few times, and you'll soon settle into a frequency
    >> that
    >> works well for you.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Do you mean Scandisk?

    Scandisk has been retired. Use Error Checking (chkdsk.exe) in XP.
    1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the drive you want to
    check, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.
    3. Check both boxes:

    ? Automatically fix file system errors
    Runs Chkdsk by using the /f parameter.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking. All files must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is
    currently in use, a message asks if you want to reschedule
    the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. Your drive is
    not available to run other tasks while the disk is being checked.]]

    ? Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
    Runs Chkdsk by using the /r parameter.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking, locates bad sectors, and recovers readable information. All files
    must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is currently in use, a
    message asks if you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time
    you restart your computer. Your drive is not available to run other tasks
    while the disk is being checked. If you select this option, you do not need
    to select Automatically fix file system errors. Windows fixes any errors on
    the disk.]]

    You have to reboot for Error-checking to run.

    For a peek at the chkdsk log.

    Open the Event Viewer...
    Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
    Look in Application | Listed as Information |
    Event ID: 1001
    Source: Winlogon

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:AC314684-407D-431B-9E8D-309C7C51AE94@microsoft.com,
    GP <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I just purchased a new computer -with XP - I notice that there is no Scan
    > any longer only defrag - My hard drive is 160 - just curious as to how
    > often have to/should run defrag. On the boards I have read where people
    > are running some kind of scan - is that necessary.
    > Thanks.

    Chkdsk is the NT/2000/XP equivalent to the 9X Scandisk. There
    are 2 modes or levels. One is a simple Chkdsk C:. This can be
    invoked from a Command Prompt Window. The simple Chkdsk
    is a cursory check - it performs no repairs. However, it will report
    if errors are found and recommend a more comprehensive run of
    Chkdsk with a command qualifier /F(ix) /R(Repair). The /F or /R
    must be done at Windows Boot time to gain exclusive access to
    the drive. One word of caution, before you run a Chkdsk with
    the Fix or Repair be sure your critical data is backed up. Chkdsk
    can make substantial changes to your drive. Sometimes the area
    it fixes may contain data that may no longer be accessible.
    You can run the Chkdsk from Windows Explorer. Right Click a
    drive's icon, Left Click Properties - from the details box click the
    Tools (TAB) and then the Error-Checking category "Check Now".

    "GP" <GP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just purchased a new computer -with XP - I notice that there is no Scan
    >any
    > longer only defrag - My hard drive is 160 - just curious as to how often
    > have
    > to/should run defrag. On the boards I have read where people are running
    > some kind of scan - is that necessary.
    > Thanks.

    For the Disk defragmenter to perform uninterrupted also, u may need to
    have only the essential programs running, disable the screensavers,
    temporarily disable virus scans.If some program writes to disk it may
    result in the defrag starting all over again..In fact the best thing
    would be safemode-run CHKDSK and then defragment. I find the running
    the defrags manually a big pain and have opted for a third party tool
    that has some advanced features. But then it all depends on how heavy
    your use is..if you add/delete/ edit large files or lot of files often,
    you should defragment in shorter intervals.

    For the Disk defragmenter to perform uninterrupted also, u may need to
    have only the essential programs running, disable the screensavers,
    temporarily disable virus scans.If some program writes to disk it may
    result in the defrag starting all over again..In fact the best thing
    would be safemode-run CHKDSK and then defragment. I find the running
    the defrags manually a big pain and have opted for a third party tool
    that has some advanced features. But then it all depends on how heavy
    your use is..if you add/delete/ edit large files or lot of files often,
    you should defragment in shorter intervals.

Defragment Microsoft Windows XP