[40k] Technological humans as Tau?

Has anyone thought about creating a technological human (a breakaway at
that has not lost tech, or historical) army from the Tau codex?

I thought it would be interesting and was thinking what the tech Human
equivalent of Tau sqauds would be. This is what I came up with, feel
free to suggest alternatives and fill in the blanks:

Fire Warriors: Storm Troopers modeled with Hellguns (or SM Scouts possibly)
Human Auxiliaries: Conscripts
Kroot: OOP Robots of some sort?, I know they used to exist.
Krootox: Rapier Laser Destroyer and Controller
Kroot Hounds: ?
Drones: ? (maybe even just a Human equivalent)

Tanks would probably have to be scratch built and would look similar to
a larger and more advanced land speeder. (ie retaining the harsh angular
look of human tech)

Fast vehicles (Tetra/Piranha): Land speeders in various states of
conversion.

Battlesuits are the hardest models to make the transition, Im thinking
either large hovering weapons platforms or some dread/sentinel
conversion fun.

Comments?

--
Dogboy

Wargame Terrain Generator
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~healer8/

My opponent has done it using Tau and IG parts and I have to say they look a
bit good so far.........and they are growing by the week

He fields them as Fire Warriors with my agreement and its a nice touch

Dogboy wrote:
> Has anyone thought about creating a technological human (a breakaway at
> that has not lost tech, or historical) army from the Tau codex?

I'm sure someone has.

> I thought it would be interesting and was thinking what the tech Human
> equivalent of Tau sqauds would be. This is what I came up with, feel
> free to suggest alternatives and fill in the blanks:
>
> Fire Warriors: Storm Troopers modeled with Hellguns

This works, but you'll need longer barrels for the 30" maximum range.

> Human Auxiliaries: Conscripts
> Kroot: OOP Robots of some sort?, I know they used to exist.

Abhumans (convert from WFB Beastmen).

> Krootox: Rapier Laser Destroyer and Controller

Convert from WFB Ogre Leadbelchers.

> Kroot Hounds: ?

WFB Chaos Hounds.

> Drones: ? (maybe even just a Human equivalent)

Convert from Jump Pack?

> Tanks would probably have to be scratch built and would look similar to
> a larger and more advanced land speeder. (ie retaining the harsh angular
> look of human tech)

Hard to say. Depends on what the rest of the army looks like.

> Fast vehicles (Tetra/Piranha): Land speeders in various states of
> conversion.

I suppose, tho I don't like the Tetra / Piranha.

> Battlesuits are the hardest models to make the transition, Im thinking
> either large hovering weapons platforms or some dread/sentinel
> conversion fun.

Convert from Sentinels.

\-|-/

John Hwang wrote:
> Dogboy wrote:
>
>> Has anyone thought about creating a technological human (a breakaway
>> at that has not lost tech, or historical) army from the Tau codex?
>

> I'm sure someone has.
>
>> I thought it would be interesting and was thinking what the tech Human
>> equivalent of Tau sqauds would be. This is what I came up with, feel
>> free to suggest alternatives and fill in the blanks:
>>
>> Fire Warriors: (GW?) Storm Troopers modeled with Hellguns

I still like cadians with the normal Tau pulse rifles.

or (left field) Buy a bunch of Star Wars plastic stormtroopers off e-bay..
>> Human Auxiliaries: Conscripts
>> Kroot: OOP Robots of some sort?, I know they used to exist.
>

> Abhumans (convert from WFB Beastmen).

Buy old squats. Or conscript some eldar..

>> Krootox: Rapier Laser Destroyer and Controller
>

> Convert from WFB Ogre Leadbelchers.

small hovercraft model with a big gun. convert a chairiot?

>> Kroot Hounds: ?
>

> WFB Chaos Hounds.

fenris wolves with necron bits? Or left over stuff from your robot models.

>> Drones: ? (maybe even just a Human equivalent)
>

> Convert from Jump Pack?

Gun with wings maybe reverse gull wings nd some thruster bits over
lasguns? or pulse carbines...

>> Tanks would probably have to be scratch built and would look similar
>> to a larger and more advanced land speeder. (ie retaining the harsh
>> angular look of human tech)

Just modify M1 Abrams kits with tau weapons. or use guns from your robot
models. the usually have extras.

> Hard to say. Depends on what the rest of the army looks like.
>
>> Fast vehicles (Tetra/Piranha): Land speeders in various states of
>> conversion.
>

> I suppose, tho I don't like the Tetra / Piranha.

More Giant Robots.

>> Battlesuits are the hardest models to make the transition, Im thinking
>> either large hovering weapons platforms or some dread/sentinel
>> conversion fun.
>

> Convert from Sentinels.

Bah! As it's not tourney legal anyway, convert from the inspiration:
Gundam/Macross! There are tons of models and they are cheap!

Desert Lurker wrote:
> John Hwang wrote:
> > Dogboy wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone thought about creating a technological human (a
breakaway
> >> at that has not lost tech, or historical) army from the Tau codex?
> >

> > I'm sure someone has.
> >
> >> I thought it would be interesting and was thinking what the tech
Human
> >> equivalent of Tau sqauds would be. This is what I came up with,
feel
> >> free to suggest alternatives and fill in the blanks:
> >>
> >> Fire Warriors: (GW?) Storm Troopers modeled with Hellguns
>
> I still like cadians with the normal Tau pulse rifles.
>
> or (left field) Buy a bunch of Star Wars plastic stormtroopers off
e-bay..
> >> Human Auxiliaries: Conscripts
> >> Kroot: OOP Robots of some sort?, I know they used to exist.
> >

> > Abhumans (convert from WFB Beastmen).
>
> Buy old squats. Or conscript some eldar..
>

> >> Krootox: Rapier Laser Destroyer and Controller
> >

> > Convert from WFB Ogre Leadbelchers.
>
> small hovercraft model with a big gun. convert a chairiot?
>
> >> Kroot Hounds: ?
> >

> > WFB Chaos Hounds.
>
> fenris wolves with necron bits? Or left over stuff from your robot
models.

> >> Drones: ? (maybe even just a Human equivalent)
> >

> > Convert from Jump Pack?
>
> Gun with wings maybe reverse gull wings nd some thruster bits over
> lasguns? or pulse carbines...
>
> >> Tanks would probably have to be scratch built and would look
similar
> >> to a larger and more advanced land speeder. (ie retaining the
harsh
> >> angular look of human tech)
>
> Just modify M1 Abrams kits with tau weapons. or use guns from your
robot
> models. the usually have extras.
>

> > Hard to say. Depends on what the rest of the army looks like.
> >
> >> Fast vehicles (Tetra/Piranha): Land speeders in various states of
> >> conversion.
> >

> > I suppose, tho I don't like the Tetra / Piranha.
>
> More Giant Robots.
>
> >> Battlesuits are the hardest models to make the transition, Im
thinking
> >> either large hovering weapons platforms or some dread/sentinel
> >> conversion fun.
> >

> > Convert from Sentinels.
> >
> Bah! As it's not tourney legal anyway, convert from the inspiration:
> Gundam/Macross! There are tons of models and they are cheap!
Models? Heck, use the MSIAs (Mobile Suits in Action) IE action
figures. the action figure scale is such that the standard size
figures are about 3 inches tall and would probably work perfectly.

Not only that, I've given one of my Char Custom Zaku MSIA's to a local
ork player to convert into a dreadnought, Gotta remember that Red
makes it go Fasta :)

Robert Klemic

In article <d1cutk$53a$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Dogboy wrote:
> Has anyone thought about creating a technological human (a breakaway at
> that has not lost tech, or historical) army from the Tau codex?

This sounds rather a lot like Helicon one's not-Tau:

Joakim

jockelinde wrote:
> In article <d1cutk$53a$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Dogboy wrote:
>
>>Has anyone thought about creating a technological human (a breakaway at
>>that has not lost tech, or historical) army from the Tau codex?
>

> This sounds rather a lot like Helicon one's not-Tau:

Thats what Im talking about.

No sign of Kroot/Krootox though, maybe Ogryns or early IG beastmen would
do the trick.

--
Dogboy

"> Thats what Im talking about.

> No sign of Kroot/Krootox though, maybe Ogryns or early IG beastmen would
> do the trick.

Why would you use beasts if you are a techno army? (something else I never
liked about Tau) The answer is more robots. I guess to make it more
gothic/fit 40K more? (though more skulls is usually the answer to that.)
-Joe

Desert Lurker wrote:
> "> Thats what Im talking about.
>
>>No sign of Kroot/Krootox though, maybe Ogryns or early IG beastmen would
>>do the trick.
>>

> Why would you use beasts if you are a techno army? (something else I never
> liked about Tau) The answer is more robots. I guess to make it more
> gothic/fit 40K more? (though more skulls is usually the answer to that.)
> -Joe

"Beastmen" is probably the wrong word, what I was refering to is those
Old OOP IG troopers who had pretty beastly mutations, like the infamous
goat headed IG guy.

Still, I think robots are probably the way to go. Is there a 40k
equivalent to the "cyber mastif" from Inq?

--
Dogboy

"Dogboy" <no@no.no> wrote in message news:d1ko3k$im6$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
<snip>
> "Beastmen" is probably the wrong word, what I was refering to is those
> Old OOP IG troopers who had pretty beastly mutations, like the infamous
> goat headed IG guy.
>
> Still, I think robots are probably the way to go. Is there a 40k
> equivalent to the "cyber mastif" from Inq?
too bulky IMHO, anything that is current for the imperium it too chunky.
Thin of a system that did not lose all their technology. It may be somewhat
halted or backwards. But if the imperium is a sci-fi WWI these should be
sci-fi desert storm and beyond. Take cues from F-22/JSF... so take a hound
or a wolf and smooth it out with green stuff.. panel lines, not plates.
recessed bolts not rivets. that sort of thing...

-Joe

Helicon_One wrote:
<snip>

> Sorry for jumping on this thread late, but I've been MIA. Kroot equivalents
> were the one major thing that had me totally stumped when I was building my
> not-Tau.... thinking about it, Beastmen might be one good possibility
> (especially now the plastic WFB beastmen are available). I had leaned
> towards some sort of robot, but never got around to working out a GW
> friendly (doing all your gaming in an actual GW store kinda limits your
> model options) conversion that didn't just look like a Necron. The perfect
> solution would have been to get hold of a load of the old plastic Imperial
> Knights from Epic, they were big enough to work in 40K scale whilst looking
> weedy enough to get away with being T3 and no save, but they're no longer
> available except 2nd hand, and I never got my hands on any. There's always
> eBay though.
>
> As I think I said at the time, if it wasn't for the lack of a save, Kroot
> stats would fit a Squat perfectly. If the next incarnation of the Tau dex
> were to give Kroot the opportunity of a 5+ or 4+ save, I'm onto it straight
> away....
>
> Tim

An interesting thought (striking to GW figs) is mix and match between
WFB Beastmen & necrons. So you have these cyber-beast men with some
minor tau bits thrown in for good measure. Really, whatever kind of
base creature you wanted. if you used a 40K set for you cyborg base
you'd already have the round bases. Still Like the cyber Beastmen idea.
Necrons have the clean metal look that I'd want in a high tech cyborg.

-Joe

PS the knights would be great after you shave off the skulls and such
but just too hard to get. I have a set from Titan Legion box but that
still only like 6 or 9 or so...