Closed

Full vs. SP1

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 10:29:41 PM

Hi :) 

First is RETAIL...with 32 AND 64bit discs...

Second is OEM ...ONLY the 64 bit disc and locks to the motherboard...

All the best Brett :) 

a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 10:36:07 PM

One is retail and one is OEM (System Builder), both OS's are exactly the same but the main differances are that the System Builder licence is attached to the motherboard of the system, so if you ever upgrade the board to a different chipset/model you'll need a new licence as well. You also don't get Micosoft tech support with the system builders version.

Score
Related resources
October 2, 2012 10:40:18 PM

By locks to the motherboard mean that it can only be used 1 time? What if I switched PC's would I just Copy the OS onto a SSD?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 10:49:36 PM

prolemur said:
By locks to the motherboard mean that it can only be used 1 time? What if I switched PC's would I just Copy the OS onto a SSD?

An OEM license is locked to the first motherboard it is installed on and may not be transferred to another, except in the case of a motherboard failure where the replacement is an exact replacement (make, model).

Any other use of the key is a violation of the license.
Score
October 2, 2012 11:37:56 PM

Best answer selected by prolemur.
Score
a c 401 $ Windows 7
October 3, 2012 12:12:03 AM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
Score
!