Sign in with
Your question

Gateway Laptop-Black screen and sound loop but still running?

Tags:
  • Gateway
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
July 25, 2010 4:22:15 PM

here's my system specs:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/25/2010, 17:17:33
Machine name: PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100218-0019)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: P-7811FX
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9900 @ 3.06GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 4090MB RAM
Page File: 1748MB used, 6607MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800M GTS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

THE PROBLEM

i mostly play world of warcraft but this happenes when not playing WoW too and just surfing the web. randomly my laptop will have a big flash in the middle of the screen like an old tv turning off and the sound will begin to stop playing whatever song it is and loop the bit its on like a broken cd. the laptop is still running as the lights above the keyboard are still on and my mouse light is still on?

sorry i havent given much info but i dont know much so if you could post here telling me things i could do to help or what i could do to get rid of it i would be very grateful

max

More about : gateway laptop black screen sound loop running

July 26, 2010 7:52:57 PM

start-->run-->eventvwr.msc-->look for errors (red X's) under the system and application logs. Match up the time of the errors, with the time of the flash/freeze.
m
l
July 26, 2010 11:18:06 PM

ive taken a screenshot because im not sure of what to do, i searched for the red x's and made a filter and got this. http://a.imageshack.us/img267/1903/critical.jpg they all have the same description thing.

does this show anything? ive been having the flash more and more often today, and had it overall more times shown than the red x's there. also today i got a blue screen saying if its your first time seeing this restart and i remember seeing the words 'kernel' in there if its any help

thank you very much
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2010 1:17:58 PM

http://a.imageshack.us/img689/7302/soundriver.jpg

i had two and attempted to disable the top one first but couldnt have any sound with that so disabled the bottom, was able to play for a staight 4-5 hours and thought it was fixed but i was going to wait till the end of the day to see if it actually had. it happened once again 10 minutes ago and i restarted my laptop to post here and it happened again in the middle of posting this. just the flash, sort of pop sound in the speakers from the crash, the music kept playing until i moved my mouse and the screen was pitch black while laptop still running once again

thanks
m
l
July 27, 2010 2:16:20 PM

i updated the video driver however neither the bios or sound drivers will let me update. the shows an error box with a title of:
IMV-038
and inside the box it says;
m_RomDBCtrl Init fail!(0x385)

do you think the problem i have is because of updates etc. or will i have to take it into somewhere?

ty
m
l
July 27, 2010 2:31:45 PM

It seems to be a common problem. The download is corrupt. Check out the megaupload link from PsychoUsagi here to update the BIOS.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gateway-emachines/46278...

I haven't seen that error reported for the audio driver though. You may want to try downloading the audio driver again.

Once you have the updated BIOS and drivers installed, download speedfan, and keep an eye on your temps. I saw reports of some high temps with that model laptop.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
m
l
July 27, 2010 9:37:13 PM

error is stilll happening but less often it seems. I attempted to download the sound drivers again and it said something about uninstall in an error box so i think i am already updated to that. the bios update worked fine, i checked on restart and it was that version.

the temps seem to be between 55-90 when gaming and when having just the internet up, 45-65. i have a notebook cooler which it is sitting on most of the time.
m
l
July 27, 2010 11:03:44 PM

You can check the audio driver version by going to the device manager-->right click on the audio device-->properties-->driver tab.

m
l
July 28, 2010 10:06:51 PM

updated audio too now, still having the crashes though.
m
l
July 28, 2010 10:15:21 PM

Is it the same error showing in the event viewer?
m
l
July 29, 2010 9:24:58 AM

there are no new errors for some reason, ive gone through the whole thing, checked last 24 hours but there are no new errors shown but it just crashed about half an hour ago
m
l
July 29, 2010 11:17:11 AM

Were there any other error logs under 'windows logs' or application and services'?
m
l
Anonymous
November 29, 2010 2:08:44 AM

I'm actually having the same exact problem with my P-7805u that the OP is having.. I'm really interested in a solution.
m
l
!