Maxtors any good?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hmm.. I've decided I want a new HDD, and would like one of the newer 16Mb Cache drives.. How good are the Maxtors these days? We've had a few die in Customer's PCs in the past year or so, but I have 3 of them at home which are (touch wood) fine. I was looking at <A HREF="http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=309276&cks=PRL" target="_new">This one..</A> perhaps.

I currently have an Epox 9NDA3J, with an oc'ed A64 winchester.

Current HDD config:
2x80Gb 8Mb SATA Maxtors in RAID 0
1x80Gb 2Mb ATA Maxtor.

All three disks are plugged into an external RAID controller card, and my two optical drives have an on-board IDE port each, so I'm not using any of the on-board SATA ports at the moment.

My plan is basically to install the new disk, put a fresh install of XP on it (I'm due a clean install... Been through 2 motherboards and 3 graphics cards with this one!), copy all the stuff off the other drives I want to keep, and then remove the standalone 80Gb for use in another PC I have at home (as it's got an old noisy 30Gb Seagate in it at the mo), and reformat the RAID array so It's all lovely and clean (I might also split it into two disks, or maybe make it RAID 1... undecided as yet)..

So....
- Any thoughts on that drive? (good or bad)
- Any alternative HDD suggestions?
- Any thoughts or suggestions regarding my 'plan'?

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

G

People tend to rate HD manufacturer this way WD 1st with seagate really cose and Maxtor 3rd not to far behind.

I just bought a seagate 7200.8 250 gig and it works like a charm! Performance is good it seams rather cool and not too noisy, a great drive!

I had quite a few Maxtor in the past, my oldest one died after like 5 years and he was sandwich between 2 other drive with a 80mm in front so I thinkit was caused by heat.

My latest Maxtor was a 80 gig 1-2 years ago so I havenet tryed any recent one, no 16meg either so I cant really comment on this particular one.

Heres an article from Anandtech, the drive your looking at (300gig flavor) is in it...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2396" target="_new">Click</A>

talking about the 7200.8...
Seagate has designed a great drive that has been proven to compete with the 10,000RPM Raptor and Maxtor's newest NCQ enabled drive with a 16MB buffer. Though it doesn't win all of the tests, it does give the other units a run for their money. Seagate also backs their drives with a 5-year warranty, which is the lengthiest in the hard drive industry.
five year is great!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
My diamond max plus 9 from a year ago has never had any trouble at all. I would expect the 10 series to be just as good.

sata/120gb/8mb/7200

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Currently the best GB/$ are those 250GB so investing one just for storage should be good enough rather than booting OS off it.
Well yeah, but I need to re-install anyway.... And as an OS drive, would a single 16Mb Cache drive be faster than 2x 8Mb ones in RAID 0? Anyone seen any benchies along those lines?

Right, guess I should do some work now... :redface:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

WORK?!?! What for? Much more fun just to ACT like you're working...

My Diamond Maxc 10 died after 1 month - Evil they are, EVIL!

Deathstar revisited!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Well, the thing's arrived now so We'll have to see I guess! :evil: .

---

You're going to kill it like you did that last CPU a few months ago. Push it to the edge and then give it a nudge over - Ooops!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Not killed a CPU yet! I have only 2 dead hard drives, a dead graphics card and a dead motherboard to my name, and the only one which was caused by excessive pursuit of bungholio marks was the graphics card. Still, at least I now know 2V is too much for extended use on a 9800Pro! :evil: I find it helps to look at these things with some humour... :smile: .

And the motherboard is the one I've now brought back to life in the other PC mentioned above, so that's gotta count towards some form of atonement surely? :wink:

Anyways, I have other issues now, but I'll make a new thread for those.

---

RichPLS

Champion
That is a great hard drive! Good company and warranty. Also a focking good price!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I quietly shutted off the server and went back to sleep.
Just before I had my breakfast I decided to turn it back on again and IT WORKED!
I've had that happen to me, although I forget what the actual problem was. Sleep is a great cure for anything it seems... :smile:

---