[40k] [paint] Traitor Guard color scheme?

I'm trying to figure out a paint scheme for the Traitor Guard portion of my
Lost and the Damned army. This is the army I've been working on in the
"Tales of RGMW" thing - a Plague/Nurgle themed list. There will of course
be a small amount of Death Guard, who I'll paint in 'official' DG colors,
and the mutants will be sort of mixed up looking, but I was trying to figure
out a relatively simple paint scheme for the Cadian/IG plastics that make up
my Traitors. I want it to look sickly enough to complement the "plague"
imagery, but not something really blatant; in other words, I'd like for it
to be at least a little believable that this is the same color scheme they
used before turning to Chaos. Note that I will be either carving off or
painting 'strikethroughs' over all the Imperial eagles and so forth.

Anyway, I was thinking of using either a very dark grey (like a charcoal
color) or a dark brown (like GW Beastial Brown) - for their hardshell armor,
with a dirty or mustardy yellow for their cloth suits (equivalent to GW
Golden or Sunburst Yellow). Any mechanized units (sentinels, tranports or
tanks) would be primarily done in the yellow color - I want what little
mechanized stuff they have to suggest construction/earthmoving equipment, to
help reinforce the idea that until they turned traitor, they were more
likely to deal with natural disasters or public works than actual combat.

So, any recommendations on choosing between the dark grey or the dark brown
for the armor color? And I know people have mentioned that yellows can be
hard to paint, but since I want sort of a 'muddy' effect on the yellow
anyway, should I be alright?

--
Ken Coble

I am just an aging drummer boy
And in the wars I used to play
And I've called the tune to many a torture session
Now they say I am a war criminal
And I'm fading away
Father, please hear my confession
-Dire Straits, "The Man's Too Strong"

Kenneth Coble wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out a paint scheme for the Traitor Guard portion
> of my Lost and the Damned army. This is the army I've been working
> on in the "Tales of RGMW" thing - a Plague/Nurgle themed list. There
> will of course be a small amount of Death Guard, who I'll paint in
> 'official' DG colors, and the mutants will be sort of mixed up
> looking, but I was trying to figure out a relatively simple paint
> scheme for the Cadian/IG plastics that make up my Traitors. I want
> it to look sickly enough to complement the "plague" imagery, but not
> something really blatant; in other words, I'd like for it to be at
> least a little believable that this is the same color scheme they
> used before turning to Chaos. Note that I will be either carving off
> or painting 'strikethroughs' over all the Imperial eagles and so
> forth.
> Anyway, I was thinking of using either a very dark grey (like a
> charcoal color) or a dark brown (like GW Beastial Brown) - for their
> hardshell armor, with a dirty or mustardy yellow for their cloth
> suits (equivalent to GW Golden or Sunburst Yellow). Any mechanized
> units (sentinels, tranports or tanks) would be primarily done in the
> yellow color - I want what little mechanized stuff they have to
> suggest construction/earthmoving equipment, to help reinforce the
> idea that until they turned traitor, they were more likely to deal
> with natural disasters or public works than actual combat.
> So, any recommendations on choosing between the dark grey or the dark
> brown for the armor color? And I know people have mentioned that
> yellows can be hard to paint, but since I want sort of a 'muddy'
> effect on the yellow anyway, should I be alright?

Dang, forgot this additional question: assuming I go with this color scheme,
should I prime in black or white? I'd think the black would help give the
yellow the dinginess I'm looking for, but I'm an inexperienced enough
painter that I woudn't be surprised to find that my first instinct is dead
wrong...

--
Ken Coble

"Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

>> I'm trying to figure out a paint scheme for the Traitor Guard portion
>> of my Lost and the Damned army. This is the army I've been working
>> on in the "Tales of RGMW" thing - a Plague/Nurgle themed list. There
>> will of course be a small amount of Death Guard, who I'll paint in
>> 'official' DG colors, and the mutants will be sort of mixed up
>> looking, but I was trying to figure out a relatively simple paint
>> scheme for the Cadian/IG plastics that make up my Traitors.

I'd go with grubby bottle-green and dark grey armour, to complement the
Death Guard colors. the yellow/brown is a nice idea, but it doesn't match
the marines very well. and yeah, undercoat with black if you're going for
dull tones.

Doctor Rock wrote:
> "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>> I'm trying to figure out a paint scheme for the Traitor Guard
>>> portion of my Lost and the Damned army. This is the army I've been
>>> working on in the "Tales of RGMW" thing - a Plague/Nurgle themed
>>> list. There will of course be a small amount of Death Guard, who
>>> I'll paint in 'official' DG colors, and the mutants will be sort of
>>> mixed up looking, but I was trying to figure out a relatively
>>> simple paint scheme for the Cadian/IG plastics that make up my
>>> Traitors.
>
> I'd go with grubby bottle-green and dark grey armour, to complement
> the Death Guard colors. the yellow/brown is a nice idea, but it
> doesn't match the marines very well. and yeah, undercoat with black
> if you're going for dull tones.

That's a good color scheme; if I can tear myself away from the yellow I
might go with yours instead. Hmm... would dirty yellow/drab green match the
dirty green-white of the DG any better? Or would that be a bridge too far?

--

Kenneth Coble wrote:
> Doctor Rock wrote:

<snip>
>> I'd go with grubby bottle-green and dark grey armour, to complement
>> the Death Guard colors. the yellow/brown is a nice idea, but it
>> doesn't match the marines very well. and yeah, undercoat with black
>> if you're going for dull tones.
>
> That's a good color scheme; if I can tear myself away from the yellow
> I might go with yours instead. Hmm... would dirty yellow/drab green
> match the dirty green-white of the DG any better? Or would that be a
> bridge too far?

Hmm... this might just look like dingy yellow/green because of my laptop
screen, but one of the paintjobs on the new Elysian Drop Troops seems close
to what I was talking about, except reversed:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Imperial%20Guard/Elysians/dtp19.jpg

I might test this one out. It meets my criteria of being a little sickly
looking, but not too out there. I wonder if it'd still look good with the
two colors reversed?

--

> Kenneth Coble wrote:
>> Doctor Rock wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>> I'd go with grubby bottle-green and dark grey armour, to complement
>>> the Death Guard colors. the yellow/brown is a nice idea, but it
>>> doesn't match the marines very well. and yeah, undercoat with black
>>> if you're going for dull tones.
>>
>> That's a good color scheme; if I can tear myself away from the yellow
>> I might go with yours instead. Hmm... would dirty yellow/drab green
>> match the dirty green-white of the DG any better? Or would that be a
>> bridge too far?
>
> Hmm... this might just look like dingy yellow/green because of my laptop
> screen, but one of the paintjobs on the new Elysian Drop Troops seems
> close to what I was talking about, except reversed:
>
> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Imperial%20Guard/Elysians/dtp19.jpg
>
> I might test this one out. It meets my criteria of being a little sickly
> looking, but not too out there. I wonder if it'd still look good with the
> two colors reversed?

I don't think it'd make a huge amount of difference, at least not from the
front. however I still feel that yellow is too "warm" a color, even diluted
and filthy - I know mixing colors is a pain in the ass for large numbers of
troops, but have you thought about yellow-green (I'm thinking infected mucus
/ bile color here). ultimately you should go with whatever you like best,
though.