My quick take on three 30" monitors

angus1000

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Today I set out to do a cursory evaluation of some 30" monitors at Microcenter. On hand were the Apple Cinema Display, Dell 3007WFP-HC, and the Gateway XHD3000.

I brought along some files with me: .pdf, .jpg, .doc, .mp4, etc. in order to get some idea of how well the monitors display images, documents, and video.

Starting with the Dell, I noticed that there was a kind of sparkle on the screen which made it a little fatiguing to read documents. Images looked sharp and video was satisfactory.

The Gateway monitor didn't have the sparkle effect like the Dell, and documents seemed to have a more natural look. Video was decent. Overall the display quality was a like an analog photo. Of the 3 monitors, it was closest to a CRT.

The Apple display had the best overall chassis look but the display itself had a slight sparkle effect and document text wasn't as sharp as the Gateway. Furthermore, the Apple monitor was the most expensive and as far as I know is the oldest of the 3.

Of these 3 I believe that the Gateway has the best overall quality. It also has the lowest retail price. I just wished it didn't have the soundbar.

Now I need to go find some reviews on the LG, Samsung, and Hazro monitors.

-Angus

prices:
Gateway XHD3000 $999
Dell 3007WFP-HC ~$1100 I think
Apple 30" Cinema Display $1799.99

narek23

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
i have a question about the Gateway, why is it not being sold at a lot of places anymore. Newegg doesnt sell it namely. You have to buy it from tigerdirect or buy.com, both of which I don't like in case something goes wrong

angus1000

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

No, I was running each monitor at full (native) resolution. The effect I am trying to describe is most noticeable on a white screen. If you look at a spot on the screen the 'white' doesn't seem to be fully uniform - there is some screen sparkle. Its almost like there is are very fine sub pixel-sized droplets of water on the screen which IMO detracts from working on the task at hand. Given that the monitors cost $$ I thought I should point it out. Go to an Apple store and see if you can see it yourself.

narek23

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
im really disappointed because I really love the gateway's performance, price, features, and inputs. But I just dont trust its reliability now (a lot of user reviews back up that video too btw)

angus1000

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

I went to Fry's yesterday and noticed that they had the XHD3000 mixed in with the other monitors on the display floor. This monitor however wasn't hooked up to a PC like the rest of the monitors in the area. I asked the sales guy to hook it up so I could see it in action. Guess what? It was flickering away like mad. Obviously this is why it was connected to the PC sitting right next to it. I am 100% staying away from purchasing this monitor. Hopefully there will be some kind of fix for those who have bought it- if there isn't one out already.