Sign in with
Your question

Using AIW Radeon 9700 to Display on TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2005 1:26:49 PM

everytime I use the S-video to output to TV, I cannot avoid the phenomenon where the TV (in this case a new 50" Sony LCD rear projection) cannot fit everything on the TV!! I have to move the mouse to the edges of the screen to "scoot" the screen in. all of the screen is there, just not at the same time. It's driving me nuts. Thank god I didn't buy a DVI-HDMI cable to use the TV as a permanent monitor! Currently, I own a 17 LCD monitor and thought everything would work out but not so. In Radeon's control panel I played around with overscan (worked a little) and the screen size adjustments (with the arrows, not resolutions).

One curious thing though. You are given 4 types of display outputs: TV, monitor, YPbPr, and FPD. My 17" is considered the FPD. Maybe I would get better results using the YPbPr but I don't want to throw down $30 for a 2 meter long component cable. S-video should be all I need. I did have to set the global text DPI from 96 to 120.
What I don't get is that they are both LCD screens!!!! Both presumably operate at 60 hertz. I don't get it. This was the same thing that happened last I tried this with a 32" CRT television.

One last thing, the TV setting in Radeon's control panel sets a resolution of 1024X768 with a NTSCM. But My FPD is set to 1280X1024 at 60 Hz.
Perhaps if I DID by the DVI-HDMI cable, and used that as my primary monitor it would see my Sony 50" as my FPD.

anywho . . .

K8T NeoFIS2R
Athlon 64bit 3400
2X256 Corsaire
Maxtor 40, 120
Western Digital Raptor 74 Gig
ATI AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
NEC LCD Monitor 1760NX
Antec Tru Power 550
Windows XP

More about : aiw radeon 9700 display

July 22, 2005 8:08:28 AM

Quote:
Thank god I didn't buy a DVI-HDMI cable to use the TV as a permanent monitor!

Wow, talk about backwards logic! Your problem is, you're trying to force a resolution that the S-Video output doesn't support! So ATI's solution is, send a resolution that IS supported by S-Video, then let you scroll to the sides.

Your solutions are fairly appearant, such as using a YPrPb adapter for a DVI-HDMI adapter as stated. Otherwise, to make everything fit on the screen select a lower resolution (one that's supported by S-Video out).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 26, 2005 3:03:57 PM

Quote:
What I don't get is that they are both LCD screens!!!! Both presumably operate at 60 hertz. I don't get it.

Apparently you don't. They are both LCD panels, but other than that they are <b>completely</b> different.

The S-Video source you are using to drive the TV is strictly 480/576 line 50/60Hz analogue video produced by the TV encoder on the video card with about 100MHz total bandwidth. Whatever the resolution from the video card is, it will be scaled to a 480/576 line resolution in the TV encoder output stage. The encoder probably has a couple of different overscan/underscan modes for each resolution, although bandwidth constraints can limit the options at some resolutions.

The DVI output you drive the LCD monitor with is a digital signal with about 1.5GHz of bandwidth at whatever resolution the panel can handle, taken straight off the digital output stage of the video card.

So you have two totally different devices (a projection TV and an LCD panel), being driven by totally different signals produced by completely different paths, and you expect that they will both produce identical results?

ATI's driver writers have been presented with two options for outputting high resolution PC displays at 480/576 lines. Either scale or crop the PC resolution down to 480/576 lines, or put a 480/576 veiwing pane at sensible resolution to the TV and pan the full PC image within that pane. Looks like they chose the latter.

BTW I can only marvel at the logic which says spending $30 on the correct cable to drive a $2000+ TV is profligate or a waste of money. That is the preferred solution for running 720 or 1080 line modes if you have no digital inputs on the TV set, otherwise DVI/HDMI is really the best way to go for good quality results. An if you are going to use component outputs at 720 or 1080 lines, then run the PC at a native 720 or 1080 line resolution so there isn't output scaling in the signal chain, if only so we dont have to read your "I bought a component cable and now the TV picture is all squashed or stretched" post....

White Box
Processor
Ram
Video Card
Hard Disk
July 31, 2005 2:08:11 PM

In your ATI drivers, find and set up "Theater Mode." I had the same problems and that fixed it for me. When Theater Mode is set up and you do something like play a DVD the drivers automatically configure the signal for your T.V. and you can leave your pc monitors settings alone.
!