claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Guys:

Is it okay to mix memmory DIMMs with different timing? I currently run with Kingston DDR400 (3-3-3-8). I would like to add more memory to my system and can get some inexpensive ram with a more aggressive timing.

Thanks,
Claude

What are your system specs?

G

system specs can play a role...
Usually motherboard read the SPD value from the stick in DIMM 0 (1st one).
So you have to put the slowest(with the highest timming) in the first one, liek this the motherboard will use those timmings on all the DIMMS(mobo always use the same timmings on all the sticks).

Puttting the fastest oen in the first dimm might therefore cause instability, of course you can always set them manually in bios to make sure!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Inexpensive and lower timings are usually not compatible features! A good option might be the <A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227213" target="_new">OCZ Value VX Model OCZ4001024WV3DC-K</A>. OC beast that you will probably be able to tighten the timings on.