RC

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am looking for a Windows XP base software
control teenager login the computer
I need to set each day maximum tow hours
login time, after 9:00 PM will deny login.
If exceed maximum login time or after 9:00
PM, will auto logout/shutdown the PC.

Please recommend some software products
to me.

I went to download.com searched the key word
Parental. I got

Child Control
PCMonitor (I tried this, it is a bad product!,
it can't catch the login ID from XP)
KidsWatch Time Control
Logoff Now
Computer Time
Win Nanny
Ration-it
TeenagerGoodnight (Good! work for Windows 98, ME,
2000 only, not for XP).
Limit Login

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

PC TimeWatch
http://www.mainsoft.fr/en/pctwoverview.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

RC <raymond.chui@nospam.noaa.gov> writes:
> I am looking for a Windows XP base software
> control teenager login the computer
> I need to set each day maximum tow hours
> login time, after 9:00 PM will deny login.
> If exceed maximum login time or after 9:00
> PM, will auto logout/shutdown the PC.
>
> Please recommend some software products
> to me.

Trouble is teenagers can be smart and wiley, and they talk to each
other, darnit. And circumventing host-based software controls is
pretty easy.

If they want to circumvent your XP based controls, for instance, they
can just pop in a knoppix bootable Linux CD and keep on computing all
night without accessing the XP installation at all. Sometimes it's
even simpler--just rebooting in safe mode with networking does it
too.

To be sure on an unsupervised computer, I'd recommend instead that you
look for a router-based parental solution (Linksys' inexpensive
routers I believe may come with such options these days), and that you
physically lock your router and broadban equipment in a container the
teenager can't access to circumvent it.

Or you can take the permissive + monitoring approach and set a
policy/agreement with your teen, and say "I'll be monitoring the
network traffic, and if you're accessing beyond 2hrs or after 9pm,
these are the consequences."

And be sure to wrap the house in a faraday cage so the crafty teen
doesn't hook up an antenna and wireless card and start surfing from
the neighbors' unsecured wireless access points, thereby bypassing
even router based access controls. LOL...

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/