mikeTheMan

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
Hi. I have a PC that was once on Windows ME, but I upgraded to XP. I am not sure if I still have this XP CD or not I will have to find it. Anyway, one day I come home and I try to star t it up and it gets past the Windows load screen and gave me a "Hard Disk Error" or something of that nature and ever since it has only gotten to the Windows screen and then shuts down and trys to boot up again. I am wondering what the best course of action is. I have nothing important saved on my HDD so don't worry about that. Thanks!

G

Well 1st do you see it in the bios.
Second a CD would help, see if windows XP cans ee it and re-install over it...(or even repair it if your lucky)

Otherwise you can use a windows 98 boot disk and see if you can delete and do a new partition with the fdisk utility altough that wont bring you anywhere if you dont ahve any cd too install the OS...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

setdhook1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Just went through the same type of problem with both a Desktop & Laptop. In both cases I first ran tests on the Hard Drive, using Vendor utilities, to insure HDD was good. Both HDD's checked out good, so I deleted the partitions, re-allocated new ones, formatted and reloaded my XP. As for not having the XP cd, I'd say you'd have to get a new o/s setup :<. P.S. Still believe one HDD i tested May still be bad, even though tested out ok. Hear a few noises on the drive and smells alittle :<. So, I am going to replace it. Hope this helps and good luck. Keep that line wet, and don't forget to SETDHOOK

Hooker had some good points. Listen for odd/extra noises from the HDD, because they are usually some of the first indicators of the drive going bad.

G

Yeah good point!
Clicking hard drive is not a good sign at all!!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0