Grayed Out Logon Prompt

July 27, 2005 5:19:06 PM

Has anyone seen Windows XP do this at the Logon prompt? The username and
password prompt is grayed out. It's hard to explain so I'm putting a link to
a picture.
http://city.bryan.edu/~jason/images/grayed-out-login%20...

The problem only occurs rarely, but the computer must be restarted because
you can't login.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jason

More about : grayed logon prompt

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:37:49 AM

Hi,

Is there anything in the "log on to" dropdown when this happens?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"jason@bryan.edu" <jasonbryanedu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone seen Windows XP do this at the Logon prompt? The username and
> password prompt is grayed out. It's hard to explain so I'm putting a link
> a picture.
> http://city.bryan.edu/~jason/images/grayed-out-login%20...
>
> The problem only occurs rarely, but the computer must be restarted because
> you can't login.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> Jason
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:07:01 AM

Yes the Domain section is available. I erased the text in it for security
purposes. Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be? I figured
somebody out there has seen something like this.
July 29, 2005 1:23:38 AM

Hi,

Actually, I haven't seen that before. The question I asked was because those
fields won't be available if there is nothing to log into. I see your
explanation and understand that is not the issue. It may be some small file
corruption, perhaps with msgina.dll. Running a validation of the system file
set may help (sfc /scannow), but your domain may be using another
authentication method. This should be brought to the attention of the domain
admin.

--

> Yes the Domain section is available. I erased the text in it for security
> purposes. Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be? I figured
> somebody out there has seen something like this.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:03:06 AM

Thanks Nutcase.

What if I am the domain admin? Yeah I am. It's such a strange problem,
that I don't know where to start sometimes. You might have something there
with the msgina.dll. Some of our older workstations had Norton Ghost client
installed which replaces the msgina.dll. I'll take a look at that the next
time this happens.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 1:27:26 AM

I'd be interested to know what you find. Keep me updated.

--

> Thanks Nutcase.
>
> What if I am the domain admin? Yeah I am. It's such a strange problem,
> that I don't know where to start sometimes. You might have something
> there
> with the msgina.dll. Some of our older workstations had Norton Ghost
> client
> installed which replaces the msgina.dll. I'll take a look at that the
> next
> time this happens.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:16:10 AM

Are there any MS people out there who are willing to help this TechNet
subscriber?
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:26:26 PM

> Are there any MS people out there who are willing to help this TechNet
> subscriber?

Quite possibly. Want to start by defining what the problem is? MS has
decided to no longer support cyrstal ball.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:26:27 PM

I believe I explained the problem above already. Thank you.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:03:29 PM

OOPS! You trimmed all the prior posting! Maybe you can try again.

jason@bryan.edu wrote:

> I believe I explained the problem above already. Thank you.
August 2, 2005 12:48:34 AM

jason@bryan.edu wrote:

> Are there any MS people out there who are willing to help this TechNet
> subscriber?

What do you mean by MS people? This is a MS hosted newsgroup but the
participants are volunteers. An occasional MS employee will post here
but not officially. MS doesn't offer tech support here. If you want
that contact the tech support line. And btw..you need to post what the
problem is. Many people use a newsreader and don't keep the old
threads. This isn't a chat room it's a newsgroup which you may not
realize since you're using the web interface. Try a newsreader.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User