Grayed Out Logon Prompt

Has anyone seen Windows XP do this at the Logon prompt? The username and
password prompt is grayed out. It's hard to explain so I'm putting a link to
a picture.
http://city.bryan.edu/~jason/images/grayed-out-login%20prompt.jpg

The problem only occurs rarely, but the computer must be restarted because
you can't login.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jason
10 answers Last reply
More about grayed logon prompt

    Hi,

    Is there anything in the "log on to" dropdown when this happens?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "jason@bryan.edu" <jasonbryanedu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone seen Windows XP do this at the Logon prompt? The username and
    > password prompt is grayed out. It's hard to explain so I'm putting a link
    > a picture.
    > http://city.bryan.edu/~jason/images/grayed-out-login%20prompt.jpg
    >
    > The problem only occurs rarely, but the computer must be restarted because
    > you can't login.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provide.
    >
    > Jason

    Yes the Domain section is available. I erased the text in it for security
    purposes. Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be? I figured
    somebody out there has seen something like this.

    Hi,

    Actually, I haven't seen that before. The question I asked was because those
    fields won't be available if there is nothing to log into. I see your
    explanation and understand that is not the issue. It may be some small file
    corruption, perhaps with msgina.dll. Running a validation of the system file
    set may help (sfc /scannow), but your domain may be using another
    authentication method. This should be brought to the attention of the domain
    admin.

    --

    > Yes the Domain section is available. I erased the text in it for security
    > purposes. Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be? I figured
    > somebody out there has seen something like this.

    Thanks Nutcase.

    What if I am the domain admin? Yeah I am. It's such a strange problem,
    that I don't know where to start sometimes. You might have something there
    with the msgina.dll. Some of our older workstations had Norton Ghost client
    installed which replaces the msgina.dll. I'll take a look at that the next
    time this happens.

    I'd be interested to know what you find. Keep me updated.

    --

    > Thanks Nutcase.
    >
    > What if I am the domain admin? Yeah I am. It's such a strange problem,
    > that I don't know where to start sometimes. You might have something
    > there
    > with the msgina.dll. Some of our older workstations had Norton Ghost
    > client
    > installed which replaces the msgina.dll. I'll take a look at that the
    > next
    > time this happens.

    Are there any MS people out there who are willing to help this TechNet
    subscriber?

    > Are there any MS people out there who are willing to help this TechNet
    > subscriber?

    Quite possibly. Want to start by defining what the problem is? MS has
    decided to no longer support cyrstal ball.

    I believe I explained the problem above already. Thank you.

    OOPS! You trimmed all the prior posting! Maybe you can try again.

    jason@bryan.edu wrote:

    > Are there any MS people out there who are willing to help this TechNet
    > subscriber?

    What do you mean by MS people? This is a MS hosted newsgroup but the
    participants are volunteers. An occasional MS employee will post here
    but not officially. MS doesn't offer tech support here. If you want
    that contact the tech support line. And btw..you need to post what the
    problem is. Many people use a newsreader and don't keep the old
    threads. This isn't a chat room it's a newsgroup which you may not
    realize since you're using the web interface. Try a newsreader.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Login Microsoft Windows XP