WD Raptor 74GB through PCI Sata card-PROBLEM!

DJAzza

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
I brought a WD Raptor 74Gb hard drive last week i knew my motherboard (GA-7N400) didn't have a Sata port so i brought a PCI Sata Card with 32bit interfaceing.
I installed the sata PCI card and connected the Raptor drive. I also installed the drivers for the card and installed Windows XP SP2 onto the WD Raptor hard drive. The WD Raptor drive worked fine windows loaded as normal. The problems started when I install my old 40gb Seagate ide 7,200 hard drive as a slave.
The probalem is as soon as i plug in the old ide hard drive it over-rides the new raptor hard drive (with windows xp installed) and loads up old ide hd (windows xp is still installed on the old hard drive). I changed the pins on the ide hard drive to slave and checked the raptor pins is set to master and i still get the problem. I checked the bios and i noticed this earlier in the installion of the raptor drive that the bios didn't/doesn't detect the raptor drive through the PCI card. Even though it starts up fine as a single hard drive the bios doesn't show up the hard drive. The bios shows the old hard drive as slave drive (secondary drive) and loads up windows from that hard drive. How do i get the bios to recogonize my raptor as the master drive and the old ide as a slave drive? where am i going wrong...

Aaron

RichPLS

Champion
Should have a SCSI or PCI card as a boot option in bios. bios has to recognize drive to boot in first place.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
No, bandwidth of PCI bus is greater than Raptor can produce.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
On-board Adaptec Ultra 320 controller on my Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra-64 PCI-x mobo.

RichPLS

Champion
I did not say I RAID them.

RichPLS

Champion
I have used a couple of PC's with RAID 0 on IDE drives, and an office server with a scsi RAID 5, but have not RAID'd my own scsi drives. :(

RichPLS

Champion
Uhh, I had a Dell Workstation die, and they are free, you dimwit!