Malkavian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
I know this may be a dumb question but I'd rather make sure first..anyway I have a dell c600 laptop which has 256meg of pc100 installed and can take 512 max, as pc100 is getting hard to find cheap would putting pc133 in instead work as I can find that easier..I know in desktop systems you could as it would just run at 100mhz but as I don't know much about the way a laptop works (might be exactly the same) I thought I would ask here..Thanks Guys :)

RichPLS

Champion
YEs will work. Remember to buy same type tho, probally SO-DIMM

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Depends on the chipset. Some laptops used the TX/LX/BX chipset with the same density limit as the desktops, 16MB per chip. Now for desktop RAM, that allows a 16-chip DIMM to hold 256MB, but SO-DIMMs only hold about 4-chips max per side which would likely limit you to 128MB per module.

You could do the easy thing and buy your RAM from Crucial directly, using their memory selector.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Malkavian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
I looked at crucial and for 256meg stick it was the same price I paid for 1gig for my desktop pc..lol..the only reason I asked if compatible is because of everyones friend ebay..it's a lot cheaper on there :)

P.S. Thanks for the replies

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
As stated above, you'll need 144-pin SO-DIMM modules.

As Crashman said, there is most likely a limit on the density size per ship. Your notebook probably has only two memory slots, probably 2x128MB. a single 256MB SO-DIMM notebook.

You can use <A HREF="http://www.cpuid.org/download/cpu-z-129.zip" target="_new">CPU-Z</A> from www.cpuid.com to read the number of slots on your board and see what memory size is installed. To find the chip configuration of the modules, you'll need to look at either the module part number, or the number on the chips and cross with the manufacturer's web.

Keep in mind, a 256MB PC-133 SO-DIMM module is normally built using 32M chips, which may not be compatible in your notebook. Unfortunately, this may mean you are unable to upgrade your memory.

Anycase, check CPU-Z and the modules themselves- you want to identify them. PC-133 CL3 will work as PC-100 CL3 (CPU-Z can read this CL or CAS Latency value).

Things to know before making your purchase:
1. Memory slots on your motherboard, and size of memory on each slot (from CPU-Z)
2. Memory module or chip part number (to ID the density size)
3. CAS Latency (from CPU-Z)

<b>edit</b> CPU-Z download link above

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha
<font color=blue>AIM BrentUnitedMem<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BrentUnitedMem on 07/25/05 11:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

<A HREF="http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php" target="_new">CPU-Z</A> clicky.

Malkavian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
according to crucial's memory selector this is the info on a compatible stick
Module Size: 256MB
Package: 144-pin SODIMM
Feature: SDRAM, PC100
Configuration: 32Meg x 64
DIMM Type:
Error Checking: Non-parity
Speed: 100
SDRAM Timings: CL=2
Specs: SDRAM, PC100 • CL=2 • Non-parity • 100MHz • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64

question is would pc133 specs be same or different..if diff what should I look for???

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
PC-133 SDRAM modules have two different general specifications. One spec is for CL2 and the other spec is for CL3. The chips are usually different for the two.

CL2 modules can almost always run as CL3. However, CL3 modules are not guaranteed to run as CL2.

In your case, you want to make sure the module you buy is capable of CL2 latency.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha
<font color=blue>AIM BrentUnitedMem