Merged Partitions - Now can't access files!!

nel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I merged one partition into a folder of another using Partition Magic -
there was no errors during this process.

Now when I try to access this folder, I get "Access Denied" error as if I
don't have the privilages although I am set as Adminstrator on the account.

Any idea how I can re-access these files?

TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Try re-taking ownership of the files/folders

In XPHome, reboot into Safe Mode, right click on the files/folders, and
select Security

In XPPro, just right click on the files/folders and select Security.

"Nel" wrote:

> I merged one partition into a folder of another using Partition Magic -
> there was no errors during this process.
>
> Now when I try to access this folder, I get "Access Denied" error as if I
> don't have the privilages although I am set as Adminstrator on the account.
>
> Any idea how I can re-access these files?
>
> TIA

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Nel wrote:

> I merged one partition into a folder of another using Partition Magic -
> there was no errors during this process.
>
> Now when I try to access this folder, I get "Access Denied" error as if I
> don't have the privilages although I am set as Adminstrator on the account.
>
> Any idea how I can re-access these files?
>
> TIA

<Unnecessary crossposting removed>

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Nel" <nelftm@despammed.com> wrote in message
>I merged one partition into a folder of another using Partition Magic -
>there was no errors during this process.
>
> Now when I try to access this folder, I get "Access Denied" error as if I
> don't have the privilages although I am set as Adminstrator on the
> account.
>
> Any idea how I can re-access these files?
>
> TIA

Sorted now, thanks everyone who helped!!

Rock, why do you say that the groups posted where unnecessary? I chose
groups that I felt were appropriate to the query. Sorry if you felt this
was inappropriate.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Nel wrote:

> "Nel" <nelftm@despammed.com> wrote in message
>
>>I merged one partition into a folder of another using Partition Magic -
>>there was no errors during this process.
>>
>>Now when I try to access this folder, I get "Access Denied" error as if I
>>don't have the privilages although I am set as Adminstrator on the
>>account.
>>
>>Any idea how I can re-access these files?
>>
>>TIA
>

> Sorted now, thanks everyone who helped!!
>
> Rock, why do you say that the groups posted where unnecessary? I chose
> groups that I felt were appropriate to the query. Sorry if you felt this
> was inappropriate.

I just felt you posted to too many groups. But anyway, glad you have it
fixed. What was the resolution?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

nel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

>> Rock, why do you say that the groups posted where unnecessary? I chose
>> groups that I felt were appropriate to the query. Sorry if you felt this
>> was inappropriate.
>
> I just felt you posted to too many groups. But anyway, glad you have it
> fixed.
It was only four. Did it not just look worse as they were all long named
ones!! :)

> What was the resolution?
Disabling the "simple files sharing", then when I went into Security
settings where I ticked the box for "Inherit from Parent..." in the advanced
section.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Nel wrote:
>>>Rock, why do you say that the groups posted where unnecessary? I chose
>>>groups that I felt were appropriate to the query. Sorry if you felt this
>>>was inappropriate.
>>
>>I just felt you posted to too many groups. But anyway, glad you have it
>>fixed.
>
> It was only four. Did it not just look worse as they were all long named
> ones!! :)
>

>>What was the resolution?
>
> Disabling the "simple files sharing", then when I went into Security
> settings where I ticked the box for "Inherit from Parent..." in the advanced
> section.

Ok thanks for posting back.

--
Rock