did my hard drive die?

Deluvia

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
I was using my computer today.. and I tried to open up photoshop... it froze on me, so I had to push the reset key. I tried it again, and same thing happened. So then I tried to uninstall photoshop to reload it, thinking something may have gotten corrupted, and it froze on me again (when I say freeze, I mean the mouse and keyboard locked up and I couldn't do anything... no alt-ctrl-del, nothing)... so I had to reset and reboot again... I think I had to reset another time after that, and then my computer wouldn't boot anymore! In the first screen it recognizes my dvd player and cd burner, but where the hard drive should be says None... sometimes it recognizes it, but I can never make it into Windows. Just gives me an error that my hard drive is corrupted or unreadable... I tried to install Windows again, and it wouldn't allow that either.

Also, this worries me....

"Listen for odd/extra noises from the HDD, because they are usually some of the first indicators of the drive going bad."

Before my computer went bad I heard some clicking noises (kind of like how a monitor sounds when you're entering some games.. like something is switching on and off)... but I'm not sure it was specifically from the hard drive.

So... did it die? Or is there a way to fix it? Right now I cant load Windows, though I think I can get into the BIOS.

Have the sounds from your HDD been increasing? Were the clicking noises that you heard out of the ordinary before the system failed?

Have you tried using a boot disk to format the HDD, recreate the partitions? Caution - doing this will erase ALL files on the HDD. I hope you have backups of your important files...

Deluvia

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
I have been hearing some sounds out of my case lately, but I didn't know if they are from the hard drive or not. I figured it was just the fan making noise... But yes, the noises I heard today before it crashed were out of the ordinary... and rather loud - a bit like a monitor being clicked on and off, but I know it wasn't the monitor because the sound came from the case.

I don't have a boot disk, unfortunately... It asked for a system disk, but I don't have one... I put the Windows2000 CD in, and tried to load Windows, but it told me that Windows couldn't load because the drive was corrupted/unreadable.

I didn't want to reformat or repartition yet (or even attempt to, since I'm not sure I can) because I was hoping there would be some way to retrieve my files... that's looking rather bleak at the moment though. Oh well.. I don't think I lost anything too valuable...

That sounds like your HDD died.