File/EXE recovery

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

I accidentally (used control Panel - Add/Remove program) to remove the wrong
application/EXE file from my system. The program's folder is still in the
system but the EXE and INI are gone. Right now, I can't find a copy of the
uninstalled software to reinstall it. I know the dependencies are still in
my system so I suspect recovering the EXE and INI file will most likely
help. Does any one know of a way... third party tool/magic words/prayers
that can enable me recover the files. Please HELPPPPPPPPP.

Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

PC Inspector File Recovery is good. http://www.pcinspector.de/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

There are third party tools available that handle this, such as Emergency
Undelete from http://www.undelete.com/coverpage.asp and others. Deleting the
files only marks the space as available to use so the sooner you stop using
the drive the better chance you'll have of recovery.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"JoeO" wrote:
|I accidentally (used control Panel - Add/Remove program) to remove the
wrong
| application/EXE file from my system. The program's folder is still in the
| system but the EXE and INI are gone. Right now, I can't find a copy of the
| uninstalled software to reinstall it. I know the dependencies are still in
| my system so I suspect recovering the EXE and INI file will most likely
| help. Does any one know of a way... third party tool/magic words/prayers
| that can enable me recover the files. Please HELPPPPPPPPP.
|
| Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Use System Restore to the last point before the errant uninstall.
See the following for Step-by-Step help:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

"JoeO" <jp3BlessNoSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I accidentally (used control Panel - Add/Remove program) to remove the
>wrong
> application/EXE file from my system. The program's folder is still in the
> system but the EXE and INI are gone. Right now, I can't find a copy of the
> uninstalled software to reinstall it. I know the dependencies are still in
> my system so I suspect recovering the EXE and INI file will most likely
> help. Does any one know of a way... third party tool/magic words/prayers
> that can enable me recover the files. Please HELPPPPPPPPP.
>
> Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

AFAIK restore points would do nothing as far as deleted files are concerned.

--

"R. McCarty" wrote:
| Use System Restore to the last point before the errant uninstall.
| See the following for Step-by-Step help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi,

To try and retrieve your deleted files, you would want to use an undelete
utility. These are commonly available for free, and work on the premise that
the space the file formerly occupied has not been overwritten with new data
yet. Once that has occured, recovery requires more extensive (and expensive)
work with dedicated forensic tools by someone who knows what they are doing.

This one here works quite well for basic file recovery:
http://www.all-freeware.com/gu4.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

From: "JoeO" <jp3BlessNoSpam@hotmail.com>

| I accidentally (used control Panel - Add/Remove program) to remove the wrong
| application/EXE file from my system. The program's folder is still in the
| system but the EXE and INI are gone. Right now, I can't find a copy of the
| uninstalled software to reinstall it. I know the dependencies are still in
| my system so I suspect recovering the EXE and INI file will most likely
| help. Does any one know of a way... third party tool/magic words/prayers
| that can enable me recover the files. Please HELPPPPPPPPP.
|
| Thanks in advance

If the OS is WinXP, you post in a XP News Group. If the OS is Win2K, you post in a Win2K
News Group.

Not Both ! Your answer is OS dependent.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

If I understood the description, he used Add/Remove to uninstall a
application. System Restore doesn't monitor User Data, but it should
restore the System State which includes applications that were on the
PC at the time the Restore Point was created.

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> AFAIK restore points would do nothing as far as deleted files are
> concerned.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
> | Use System Restore to the last point before the errant uninstall.
> | See the following for Step-by-Step help:
> |
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

For Windows XP Professional the System State data comprises only the
registry, COM+ Class Registration database, files under Windows File
Protection, and boot files.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntbackup_system_state.mspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sr/sr/monitored_file_extensions.asp

--

"R. McCarty" wrote:
| If I understood the description, he used Add/Remove to uninstall a
| application. System Restore doesn't monitor User Data, but it should
| restore the System State which includes applications that were on the
| PC at the time the Restore Point was created.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Nope

--
Peter

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:usW9eAxkFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> If I understood the description, he used Add/Remove to uninstall a
> application. System Restore doesn't monitor User Data, but it should
> restore the System State which includes applications that were on the
> PC at the time the Restore Point was created.
>

> "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> > AFAIK restore points would do nothing as far as deleted files are
> > concerned.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> > | Use System Restore to the last point before the errant uninstall.
> > | See the following for Step-by-Step help:
> > |
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Thanks all for your tips... I appreciate it. So far none has worked. But I
will keep trying... tomorrow. The system is WIN XP SP2.

> I accidentally (used control Panel - Add/Remove program) to remove the
wrong
> application/EXE file from my system. The program's folder is still in the
> system but the EXE and INI are gone. Right now, I can't find a copy of the
> uninstalled software to reinstall it. I know the dependencies are still in
> my system so I suspect recovering the EXE and INI file will most likely
> help. Does any one know of a way... third party tool/magic words/prayers
> that can enable me recover the files. Please HELPPPPPPPPP.
>
> Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

This program can recover deleted files

Restoration by Brian Kato
http://www.geocities.jp/br_kato/

Regards
Mark Dormer

"JoeO" <jp3BlessNoSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I accidentally (used control Panel - Add/Remove program) to remove the
>wrong
> application/EXE file from my system. The program's folder is still in the
> system but the EXE and INI are gone. Right now, I can't find a copy of the
> uninstalled software to reinstall it. I know the dependencies are still in
> my system so I suspect recovering the EXE and INI file will most likely
> help. Does any one know of a way... third party tool/magic words/prayers
> that can enable me recover the files. Please HELPPPPPPPPP.
>
> Thanks in advance

cena

Honorable
There are various reasons why office files and folders are deleted. It may be due to Malware / Spyware / Virus attack, accidently pressing shift + delete key, formatted or corrupted hard drive, emptied recycling bin or abrupt shutdown of the system. In such a good recovery software can helps us in office file recovery ,recover data from emptied recycling bin, abrupt shutdown.It supports all versions whether it is windows file recovery or mac file recovery.You can also download the free trail version.

TRENDING THREADS