Strange Problem with Fast User Switching

July 27, 2005 8:58:05 PM

I use Windows XP Home Edition, with Service Pack 2 installed. Recently, I
upgraded my motherboard, and the procedure I used to repair Windows was this:
boot from CD, and repair Windows from that. I repaired Windows with a Service
Pack 2 CD, and everything seems stable. However, I have a problem when trying
to switch to another user on the computer using Fast User Switching. Whenever
'Switch User' is used, it will display the Welcome Screen. One thing that is
wrong is that the user that has just been switched from will not have a 'User
Is Logged On' message underneath the name. When you try clicking on a
different username, the screen will change to the default blue background for
a split second, but then change back to the Welcome Screen. Clicking on the
user that is currently logged on will return you to that user. During this
whole situation, there are no error screens or error sounds, etc. If anyone
has this problem and/or knows a solution to this, I would really like to know.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:56:08 PM

I've not heard of this problem and I don't know of a specific solution, but I
can offer two ideas.

First, you can open your Control Panel and Administrative Tools then look at
the Event Viewer. The Applications and/or System logs may have recorded some
error information that can help you resolve the problem. If they have, go to
the Microsoft knowledgebase online and try to lookup solution information by
providing event ID numbers or other words/phrases related to errors recorded
in the event logs.

Second, you may want to attempt a repair installation by booting the system
with your original installation CD and choosing to Install Windows. The
installation should detect the existing installation and offer to "Repair"
it. Choose the Repair option to let the installation proceed.

As I said, no guarantees, but maybe one of these ideas will help.

CM

!