Lost User Account

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

So I was having trouble with my XP last week and tried all options available,
then decided I must use the repair disk to repair my XP. I followed the
instruction per the CD and re-installed windows XP. Now I cannot get any of
my documents back. My old user account was password protected. Does anyone
know how to fix this? I can access my wife's user account via My computer.
Neither of our old logon accounts show up on the welcome screen.

Any Help would be great.

Antony

Hi Antony,

Sounds like you did a parallel installation instead of a repair
installation. You will not be able to regain the old accounts, you will have
to create new ones and copy the old profiles into them.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
file structure before you do the copy procedure.

If you get "access denied", you may have an ownership issue. This can help:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/