recover from hard disk crash

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My system have two harddisks.
I got my system harddisk crash, and I decide to replace it by a new one.
I want to remove the second harddisk and install the WinXP on the single
blank harddisk.
Is there anything to set for the BIOS? jumpers?
I have tried a few times to boot the system by blank harddisk and WinXP
CDROM.
However, the system even doesnt show anything on the screen.
Thanx a lot
2 answers Last reply
More about recover hard disk crash
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You do not have to remove the 2nd HD if it is working.
    You need only to replace the non working HD.
    The question is which HD broke?? the C drive where XP was installed or the
    other HD.??
    If it was the C drive that had XP on it and you replaced it with a new one
    then you would need to reinstall XP onto that drive but do leave the other
    drive connected.When you hook up your new drive make sure you set the
    jumpers on the back of the drive to master.Leave the 2nd drive connected
    during the XP installation so that it can read the programs on that drive
    and enter the correct parameters in the registry and rebuild the shortcuts
    to start the programs.
    In order to install XP you need to enter the BIOS and change the boot
    sequence so that the CD drive is 1st boot device.Then place the XP CD in
    place and reboot.watch the bottom of the screen it will say "push any key to
    boot from CD"....push any key and the XP install should take over from
    there.After the installation is finished you can change the boot order
    back.here is a website with more details.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    If your secondary drive broke which is not your boot drive you just need to
    remove it and install the new drive in its place making sure the jumpers on
    the back of the drive are set to slave.Your system should still boot since
    XP was not on that drive.
    let us know how you make out
    peterk

    the problem
    "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    > My system have two harddisks.
    > I got my system harddisk crash, and I decide to replace it by a new one.
    > I want to remove the second harddisk and install the WinXP on the single
    > blank harddisk.
    > Is there anything to set for the BIOS? jumpers?
    > I have tried a few times to boot the system by blank harddisk and WinXP
    > CDROM.
    > However, the system even doesnt show anything on the screen.
    > Thanx a lot

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    The crashed disk contains the C drive where the WinXP installed.
    I want it with a single disk setup because I would like to recover the
    crashed disk myself.
    I want the WinXP setup on the blank disk first, and put the crashed disk on
    the primary slave later.
    Trying to see how much I can have the data back.
    I assume the disk was not damaged seriously.

    Thanx

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > You do not have to remove the 2nd HD if it is working.
    > You need only to replace the non working HD.
    > The question is which HD broke?? the C drive where XP was installed or the
    > other HD.??
    > If it was the C drive that had XP on it and you replaced it with a new one
    > then you would need to reinstall XP onto that drive but do leave the other
    > drive connected.When you hook up your new drive make sure you set the
    > jumpers on the back of the drive to master.Leave the 2nd drive connected
    > during the XP installation so that it can read the programs on that drive
    > and enter the correct parameters in the registry and rebuild the shortcuts
    > to start the programs.
    > In order to install XP you need to enter the BIOS and change the boot
    > sequence so that the CD drive is 1st boot device.Then place the XP CD in
    > place and reboot.watch the bottom of the screen it will say "push any key
    > to boot from CD"....push any key and the XP install should take over from
    > there.After the installation is finished you can change the boot order
    > back.here is a website with more details.
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    > If your secondary drive broke which is not your boot drive you just need
    > to remove it and install the new drive in its place making sure the
    > jumpers on the back of the drive are set to slave.Your system should still
    > boot since XP was not on that drive.
    > let us know how you make out
    > peterk
    >

    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    > about the problem
    > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> My system have two harddisks.
    >> I got my system harddisk crash, and I decide to replace it by a new one.
    >> I want to remove the second harddisk and install the WinXP on the single
    >> blank harddisk.
    >> Is there anything to set for the BIOS? jumpers?
    >> I have tried a few times to boot the system by blank harddisk and WinXP
    >> CDROM.
    >> However, the system even doesnt show anything on the screen.
    >> Thanx a lot

Crash Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP