Is my RAM messed up?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I'm running an Athlon 64 4000+ with 1GB of Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM (DDR 500), and when I POST, (all ram settings set to auto), it says I am running the RAM at DDR 266! Shouldn't it be DDR400?

My mobo is an ABIT AX8.

I can manually change the "speed" in the bios (not the mhz value) to "DDR 400", but I think I start getting stability issues even when just posting!

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
No, I do not think it is messed up. Have you changed the DIMM voltage to 2.8v? I would never leave the memory timings set to auto. You need to make sure they are set right in the BIOS. Some motherboards do not detect the memory timings right and they need to be setup manually to correct the instabilities. Also download a memory test program from www.memtest.org and run it to see if one of the modules is bad.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CrucialLabs on 07/29/05 08:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Just would like to acknowledge how well Crucial deals with customer support. I had bought from a re-saler 2x512 mb of crucial ballistx ram and my ocz psu burnt it out. Crucial is sending me new ram no questions asked. Thanks a lot!