Repair Install with an Upgrade XP Pro CD.

Someone

I want to go legit, have a bad copy of XP Pro with SP2. My question is - Can
I purchase an Upgrade XP Pro CD with SP2 to perform a repair (in-place)
installation over the non-legit working OS.

Malke

Someone wrote:

> I want to go legit, have a bad copy of XP Pro with SP2. My question is
> - Can I purchase an Upgrade XP Pro CD with SP2 to perform a repair
> (in-place) installation over the non-legit working OS.

No, you will need a full retail copy to do the Repair Install. Here is a
link with more information:

You should back up any data first, of course Just In Case.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Someone

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Someone wrote:
>
>> I want to go legit, have a bad copy of XP Pro with SP2. My question is
>> - Can I purchase an Upgrade XP Pro CD with SP2 to perform a repair
>> (in-place) installation over the non-legit working OS.
>
> No, you will need a full retail copy to do the Repair Install. Here is a
> link with more information:

> You should back up any data first, of course Just In Case.

Then I wonder why it would say this on the web link you provided.

"you can use an OEM XP Pro or Home, "retail" XP Home or Pro full or upgrade
version CD of the same version Home or Pro to perform a Repair Install."

Someone wrote:
> I want to go legit, have a bad copy of XP Pro with SP2. My question is - Can
> I purchase an Upgrade XP Pro CD with SP2 to perform a repair (in-place)
> installation over the non-legit working OS.

As long as you have an installation CD for an older, qualifying OS to
verify that you're entitled to use the Upgrade, yes.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

The non-legit install is more likely a Volume License version, more commonly
known as Corporate Edition in pirated CDs. The reason that you were
recommended the get a full copy is that you will be able to do a "fresh"
install easier with this than the "upgrade" CD.

Also, have you considered filing a report with MS. Microsoft is offering a
original CD replacement if you file a counterfeit report.

"Someone" <hello76tgiu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Someone wrote:
>>
>>> I want to go legit, have a bad copy of XP Pro with SP2. My question is
>>> - Can I purchase an Upgrade XP Pro CD with SP2 to perform a repair
>>> (in-place) installation over the non-legit working OS.
>>
>> No, you will need a full retail copy to do the Repair Install. Here is a
>> link with more information:
>>
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> You should back up any data first, of course Just In Case.
>>

> Then I wonder why it would say this on the web link you provided.
>
> "you can use an OEM XP Pro or Home, "retail" XP Home or Pro full or
> upgrade version CD of the same version Home or Pro to perform a Repair
> Install."

FYI: I hada pirated copy too from stupid brother-in-law who worked at big
computer co. in CA. I bought a OEM Win.XP Pro w/SP2 at Vio Software for $136.
Problem was I could not get the legit XP to work or repair the pirated. I
tried clean install would not go, had to pull out my Seagate CD to zero out
the HD, after that the legit copy took along with the COA number and
everything works fine. SO YES back up all your data! a short cut way to find
what you have is install small program called Belarc Adviser (google it)- it
looks in your HD and lists everything you have on it, makes it a lot easier
to sift through esp. if you have a lot.