Sign in with
Your question

How to locate an electrical wire in a concrete slab

Tags:
Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
December 13, 2010 5:03:13 PM

Hello, I have to cut through a 6" concrete slab that has both hot wires and reinforcement bars. Which device do I need in order to locate the electrical wires?
December 13, 2010 5:10:32 PM

A 2' diameter concrete saw and a wet toungue. XD

I would hope that there's something out there that can detect the EM radiation from the wires, but I don't know of anything out there that can do this.
December 13, 2010 9:19:27 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Other Consumer Electronics by Buwish
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 14, 2010 6:42:59 AM

I have a suggestion do you still got that house blue print, find the electrical part.
I have used a small 5Vdc Wall-Wart as a "AC power is ON" detector. The transformer in the wall-wart takes care of the AC power isolation. It's output is a "logic level"; 5V when AC is on, 0V when AC is off. You could even power the "push-the-start-button" circuit from the wall-wart - this circuit is perfect in detecting the electrical wires before boring on it.
December 14, 2010 10:51:29 AM

It requires a sound pulse generator hooked to the line to track, and a signal receiver to detect it, the professional grade of that equipment is very expensive, so I suggest calling your local electricians and see if one of them has that tracking equipment in their inventory.

Its the same type equipment they use to detect underground pipes and wires for for utility digging purposes.
!