Sign in with
Your question

Bluetooth Bios

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 14, 2009 2:03:26 PM

Hi

I am hoping some knowledgeable saint will be able to help me with a problem I have.

I have recently purchased a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The mouse and keyboard work fine after Windows loads. However I can not use the keyboard in the BIOS and at the Windows logon screen so I have had to keep a USB keyboard connected.

From googling searches I understand what the problem is. The drivers for the bluetooth adapter are not loaded so therefore it can't communicate with the keyboard.

The keyboard and mouse didn't come with a bluetooth adapter and I'm using one I have had for many years. I understand from reading on google that I need a bluetooth dongle that can act as a HID USB in the BIOS, so the BIOS just sees its as another HID device?

Sorry if I'm not explaining it too well. The jargon goes completely over my head but I'm trying to understand.

Thus my question is What bluetooth dongle can I purcahse that will enable me bluetooth keyboard to work in the BIOS?

Many thanks

Daniel

More about : bluetooth bios

February 19, 2010 10:55:04 PM

I have the same question!
Anonymous
February 20, 2010 6:03:25 PM

It's nothing to do with the keyboard or mouse. The problem lies in the BIOS which does not support Bluetooth.

If you must use a wireless keyboard and I really can't think of any reason to (though I can see the benefit of a wireless mouse) you'll need a computer which does support Bluetooth in the BIOS (if such a thing exists).

Buy a cheap PS2 wired or maybe USB keyboard for addressing the computer outside Windows.
December 11, 2012 11:33:11 PM

Hi OP, you got it CORRECT.

In theory, ANYTHING with a USB dongle is actually a (gasp)... USB DEVICE. Therefore, a wireless keyboard with a 2.4Ghz dongle and a Bluetooth keyboard paired with a Bluetooth dongle plugged in before starting up the PC are BOTH = USB devices.

That is, they should both be treated as USB keyboards and work perfectly.

Now, the question is WHY your laptop cannot see and allow your Bluetooth dongle to act as a USB keyboard when it obviously can work with your wired USB keyboard.

The first thing I would do is to enter your OS (Windows or Linux both should work the same, although my success with my Bluetooth keyboard comes from Linux) and "TRUST" the Bluetooth keyboard. In Blueman Bluetooth Manager (Linux), all Bluetooth devices go through a 3-stage process - "Add + Pair + Trust" a BT device,

"Trusting" my Bluetooth keyboard allowed it to work at the Linux login screen. I assume it should work the same in Windows.

If this does not work, you might want to purchase a newer Bluetooth dongle such as a BT 3.0 or 4.0 dongle. It will be good for you to bring along your laptop and try the dongle at the store BEFORE you buy it.

Hope that helps!

NOTE: Just like any USB device, the Bluetooth keyboard can only be paired with ONE dongle at any given time unless otherwise specified. Which means that if you have a Dual Boot or had paired the keyboard with a different OS/device, it needs to be re-paired again with your initial OS/device.

!