drive formatted by windows 98 accessible in XP PRO?

I have a hard disk (non-booting) that was formatted by windows 98. I
put a new drive in the system and put xp pro on it. The drives show up
in device manager, and on my computer, but when I attempt to access the
drive, it says "unformatted drive, do you want to format". I hit no,
because I don't want to lose the info on it.

How do I solve this?

Thanks,
1 answer Last reply
More about drive formatted windows accessible

    Do you have the drives jumpered correctly as master (the drive you boot from
    with Windows XP) and slave (the old drive with Win98 on it)?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "js" <jeff_schaetz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a hard disk (non-booting) that was formatted by windows 98. I
    > put a new drive in the system and put xp pro on it. The drives show up
    > in device manager, and on my computer, but when I attempt to access the
    > drive, it says "unformatted drive, do you want to format". I hit no,
    > because I don't want to lose the info on it.
    >
    > How do I solve this?
    >
    > Thanks,

Windows 98 Windows XP