cannot delete file error

I have two files that are sitting on my desktop. They came from a friend
via gmail and I have scanned them for viruses. They are reported as being 0
kb in size and are grayed out. When I choose to hide system files in
Explorer's view settings they disappear. I cannot delete them at all. I
have tried deleting them via safe mode, with a program called movonboot and
many other ways. Any ideas as to how to get rid of these annoying files
without reformatting?

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

Line 39 - right hand side

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"BigK" <bigk@bellsouth.com> wrote in message
>I have two files that are sitting on my desktop. They came from a friend
>via gmail and I have scanned them for viruses. They are reported as being
>0 kb in size and are grayed out. When I choose to hide system files in
>Explorer's view settings they disappear. I cannot delete them at all. I
>have tried deleting them via safe mode, with a program called movonboot and
>many other ways. Any ideas as to how to get rid of these annoying files
>without reformatting?

I'll try that.

> Hi
>
> Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
>
> Line 39 - right hand side

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "BigK" <bigk@bellsouth.com> wrote in message
>>I have two files that are sitting on my desktop. They came from a friend
>>via gmail and I have scanned them for viruses. They are reported as being
>>0 kb in size and are grayed out. When I choose to hide system files in
>>Explorer's view settings they disappear. I cannot delete them at all. I
>>have tried deleting them via safe mode, with a program called movonboot
>>and many other ways. Any ideas as to how to get rid of these annoying
>>files without reformatting?

None of the things in that web site worked.

When I have "hidden system files" hidden in folders options they go away.
Why is that?
> I'll try that.

>> Hi
>>
>> Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
>>
>> Line 39 - right hand side
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "BigK" <bigk@bellsouth.com> wrote in message
>>>I have two files that are sitting on my desktop. They came from a friend
>>>via gmail and I have scanned them for viruses. They are reported as
>>>being 0 kb in size and are grayed out. When I choose to hide system
>>>files in Explorer's view settings they disappear. I cannot delete them
>>>at all. I have tried deleting them via safe mode, with a program called
>>>movonboot and many other ways. Any ideas as to how to get rid of these
>>>annoying files without reformatting?

Here is the history of my problem.

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:
>>>
>>> Line 39 - right hand side
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Will Denny
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups

> None of the things in that web site worked.
>
> When I have "hidden system files" hidden in folders options they go away.
> Why is that?

I am still unable to remove the two files. I think part of the problem is
that they both end in a period instead of a normal files extension. And
they were saved to disk from an email sent to me via Gmail. Updated my
virus detection and adware detection and scnaned. Nothing. Any more ideas
on how to get rid of this?

Thanks
Kevin

Malke

BigK wrote:

> Here is the history of my problem.

>> None of the things in that web site worked.
>>
>> When I have "hidden system files" hidden in folders options they go
>> away. Why is that?
>

> I am still unable to remove the two files. I think part of the
> problem is
> that they both end in a period instead of a normal files extension.
> And
> they were saved to disk from an email sent to me via Gmail. Updated
> my
> virus detection and adware detection and scnaned. Nothing. Any more
> ideas on how to get rid of this?
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

Can you rename from from the command line? You might try Safe Mode with
Command Line. Rename them to file.old or something with a proper
extension. While you're at it, check their attributes with the attrib
command. Type "attrib /?" without quotes to get options. Make sure they
don't have the system and hidden attributes. If they do, remove those
attributes.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> BigK wrote:
>
>> Here is the history of my problem.

>>> None of the things in that web site worked.
>>>
>>> When I have "hidden system files" hidden in folders options they go
>>> away. Why is that?
>>

>> I am still unable to remove the two files. I think part of the
>> problem is
>> that they both end in a period instead of a normal files extension.
>> And
>> they were saved to disk from an email sent to me via Gmail. Updated
>> my
>> virus detection and adware detection and scnaned. Nothing. Any more
>> ideas on how to get rid of this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kevin
>
> Can you rename from from the command line? You might try Safe Mode with
> Command Line. Rename them to file.old or something with a proper
> extension. While you're at it, check their attributes with the attrib
> command. Type "attrib /?" without quotes to get options. Make sure they
> don't have the system and hidden attributes. If they do, remove those
> attributes.

Thanks. I have already tried these suggestions as well. It gives me a
message saying "cannot find the file" or something like that.