[Epic] NetEpic 5.0 "beta version" available now!!

Hi!

NetEPIC 5, released as a beta!

The wait near an end....

After over two years of hard work NetEpic 5.0 is nearly complete!
Available for download are the first Five books for the newest version
of netepic! The Core rules - featuring a re-vamped layout and many
tables to facilitate looking for needed information. The first four army
books: Adeptus Astartes with all the chapter you know and love and some
others besides! The Adeptus Mechanicus Amry Book - where the mightest of
the imperial god machines - titans and there lesser brethren - knights
make their apprearance.The Adeptus Ministorum - Sister of Battle rules
for NetEpic! Last but not least the Adeptus Militaris books - Imperial
guard with all units new and old! These books represent the "beta"
version, with only minor editing to go, but we value your input, so read
them, play with them and by all means, TELL US WHAT YOU THINK!!

They are available for download here:

http://netepic.org/EPICentre/Downloads/

News clip:

http://netepic.org/EPICentre/News/

Peter

NetEpic Coordinator
13 answers Last reply
More about epic netepic beta version

    Peter Ramos <primarch@caribe.net> wrote in message news:<114nu94qa5o8q91@corp.supernews.com>...
    > Hi!
    >
    > NetEPIC 5, released as a beta!
    >
    > The wait near an end....
    >
    > After over two years of hard work NetEpic 5.0 is nearly complete!
    > Available for download are the first Five books for the newest version
    > of netepic! The Core rules - featuring a re-vamped layout and many
    > tables to facilitate looking for needed information. The first four army
    > books: Adeptus Astartes with all the chapter you know and love and some
    > others besides! The Adeptus Mechanicus Amry Book - where the mightest of
    > the imperial god machines - titans and there lesser brethren - knights
    > make their apprearance.The Adeptus Ministorum - Sister of Battle rules
    > for NetEpic! Last but not least the Adeptus Militaris books - Imperial
    > guard with all units new and old! These books represent the "beta"
    > version, with only minor editing to go, but we value your input, so read
    > them, play with them and by all means, TELL US WHAT YOU THINK!!
    >
    > They are available for download here:
    >
    > http://netepic.org/EPICentre/Downloads/
    >
    > News clip:
    >
    > http://netepic.org/EPICentre/News/
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > NetEpic Coordinator

    Uh, you may not have noticed this, but Jervis beat you to it...

    Philip Bowles
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:20:37 -0400, Peter Ramos wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > NetEPIC 5, released as a beta!

    <snip>

    I'd be interested in anyone's opinions of this system. I've skimmed
    through the rules and it reminds me of the 2nd ediiton SM rules, but it
    will be a while before i get a chance to give it a detailed read and see
    if it's worth trying out.

    --
    should you wish, you can send email to the DisgruntledPawn
    via the ever popular gmail domain

    "Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Peter Ramos <primarch@caribe.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi!
    >>

    >> NetEpic Coordinator
    >
    > Uh, you may not have noticed this, but Jervis beat you to it...
    >
    > Philip Bowles

    Not really, NetEpic is closer to a new edition of SM/TL while Epic
    Armageddon owes a most significant debt to E40K.

    I'll be waiting on Xenos lists before I review NetEpic and before I crank up
    ABCreate
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <LtGdnQtepeCQ8M3fRVn-2w@comcast.com>, Craig Little,
    craig.little@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

    > "Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Peter Ramos <primarch@caribe.net> wrote in message
    > >> Hi!
    > >>

    > >> NetEpic Coordinator
    > >
    > > Uh, you may not have noticed this, but Jervis beat you to it...
    > >
    > > Philip Bowles
    >
    > Not really, NetEpic is closer to a new edition of SM/TL while Epic
    > Armageddon owes a most significant debt to E40K.
    >
    > I'll be waiting on Xenos lists before I review NetEpic and before I crank up
    > ABCreate

    Hey, who does one have to beg, bribe, or kill to get a copy of
    ABCreate for AB3? I emailed them at wolflair like it says to on the
    site about a beta copy and never heard a thing.

    Myr

    #1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
    much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

    - Eric Noland

    # 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
    raise a Warhammer army

    - Roy Cox

    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

    ****

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
    > In article <LtGdnQtepeCQ8M3fRVn-2w@comcast.com>, Craig Little,
    > craig.little@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    >>
    >> "Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> > Peter Ramos <primarch@caribe.net> wrote in message

    >> > Uh, you may not have noticed this, but Jervis beat you to it...
    >> >
    >> > Philip Bowles
    >>
    >> Not really, NetEpic is closer to a new edition of SM/TL while Epic
    >> Armageddon owes a most significant debt to E40K.
    >>
    >> I'll be waiting on Xenos lists before I review NetEpic and before I crank
    >> up
    >> ABCreate
    >
    > Hey, who does one have to beg, bribe, or kill to get a copy of
    > ABCreate for AB3? I emailed them at wolflair like it says to on the
    > site about a beta copy and never heard a thing.

    Check your e-mail tomorrow, I have that somewhere, and the download address.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Craig Little" <craig.little@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <LtGdnQtepeCQ8M3fRVn-2w@comcast.com>, Craig Little,
    >> craig.little@gmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    >>>
    >>> "Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message

    >>> Not really, NetEpic is closer to a new edition of SM/TL while Epic
    >>> Armageddon owes a most significant debt to E40K.
    >>>
    >>> I'll be waiting on Xenos lists before I review NetEpic and before I
    >>> crank up
    >>> ABCreate
    >>
    >> Hey, who does one have to beg, bribe, or kill to get a copy of
    >> ABCreate for AB3? I emailed them at wolflair like it says to on the
    >> site about a beta copy and never heard a thing.
    >>
    > Check your e-mail tomorrow, I have that somewhere, and the download
    > address.
    Scratch that, the sites down, but the e-mail is on it's way
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    disgruntled pawn wrote:
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:20:37 -0400, Peter Ramos wrote:
    >

    >>Hi!
    >>
    >>NetEPIC 5, released as a beta!
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > I'd be interested in anyone's opinions of this system. I've skimmed
    > through the rules and it reminds me of the 2nd ediiton SM rules, but it
    > will be a while before i get a chance to give it a detailed read and see
    > if it's worth trying out.

    Disgruntled Pawn,

    NetEpic is based on second edition epic (SM/TL), therefore the basic
    mechanics are for the most part, unchanged. Does it mean its the same
    game? No. There have been significant changes:

    1. Alternating movement - unlike the original rule where one player
    moved all his units and then the opponent did the same, under netepic
    you move one detachment and alternate with your opponent until all units
    are moved. This gives movement a more tactical feel and involves both
    players in this phase to a greater degree than the original rule.

    2. Fog of war - under the original rules orders were all revealed
    simultaneously at the turns beginning. Under netepic rules are reveal
    WHEN THE DETACHMENT IS ACTIVATED TO MOVE. That means that unactivated
    units orders' a remain hidden, keeping the opponents guessing. This was
    a simple but yet profound addition to the core rules.

    3. Custom built titans and cost - a major complaint under the orignal
    rules was that all weapon patterns and titans of a given class cost the
    same and yielded the same victory points when destroyed. That meant you
    could build titans with the best weapons and they would cost the same as
    one with medicore weapons. Under netepic, the "empty hull" has a base
    cost and you "tailor" you titan weapon configuration from the list of
    weapons, each with their own cost. That means titans with better weapons
    cost more and yield more VP's to the opponent when destroyed.

    4. Praetorians and superheavies - these correspond to those extra large
    mobile fortresses like the famous capitol imperialis or extra big tanks
    like the baneblade. Under the original rules these things did not live
    up to the hype. With a simple save like any other tank they'd get taken
    out relatively easily. Under netepic epic, the real big boys
    (praetorians) have hit locations like titans and are almost as
    resilient. Baneblades and such roll on a shorter table when damamged,
    and while they still may be destroyed with one shot, it is less likely.

    5. Holofields and barrages - many eldar players will tell you how
    annoying this was under the original rules where barrages negated the
    holofield save and more often times than not would damage or outright
    destroy the eldar titan. Under netepic holofields still negate the save,
    but they ALWAYS scatter, even with direct barrages, becuase since
    holofields mess up targetting, it shouldnt be easy to pinpoint
    regardless of weapons.

    While these are the "bigger" changes, there are a whole slew of smaller
    changes too numerous to mention (but some as equally profound on game
    play). The goal was to address the systems shortcoming, fixing what
    could be fixed or just scapping it and building from the ground up when
    fixing wasnt enough.

    I wont tell you if this is the "best" system of epic, since my opinion
    is bias and that is not of use to you. I will let others give their take
    as seen from someone outside the design aspect, that will be more useful
    to you.

    I can only relate some advantages of NetEpic from a non-game mechanics
    perspective:

    1. Complete system. What I mean is that ALL armies (yes, squats are
    STILL available and even some never made GW armies like Slann, SOB's,
    etc). Epic A, officially has release army lists for Orks, SM, IG and
    recently Eldar. The other armies are in progress, but with the withdrawl
    of support from GW I doubt you'll ever see another official book for
    some time.

    2. Supported system. Netepic is 8 years old. The oldest, continously
    supported version of epic - bar none. Netepic includes ALL models, new
    old, from GW, fanatic and even FW. We update the rules to include stats
    for newer models as they are made available, whatever the source.
    Netepic has 8 years of playtesting. Each version reflects input from
    gamers and their experience with the rules and they are changed/modified
    accordingly. We have our own maling list and website, thus we are not
    dependant on GW and their decisions to drop games after a year or so. We
    offer downloadable playing aids (counter, templates, etc) and even army
    cards (although I am in the process of making new ones). We are even in
    the process of making a FULL color, illustrated and professionally laid
    out rulebook (called NetEpic gold) which will be available for download
    when completed. Or you can take it somewhere and get an actual book for
    yourself made out.

    Different versions appeal to different people, regardless of your
    choice, epic is fun and worth the time!

    Peter Ramos

    NetEpic Coordinator
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > Uh, you may not have noticed this, but Jervis beat you to it...
    >
    > Philip Bowles

    Hi!

    Uh, you may have to correct your chronology...

    ...epic A has been comercially available for a little over a year...

    ...netepic has been available for 8 years....

    ...I think you meant Jervis finally "caught up"..

    ...then again you may have not noticed this... ;)

    Peter
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:46:03 -0400, Peter Ramos wrote:

    > disgruntled pawn wrote:
    >> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:20:37 -0400, Peter Ramos wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi!
    >>>
    >>>NetEPIC 5, released as a beta!
    >>>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> I'd be interested in anyone's opinions of this system. I've skimmed
    >> through the rules and it reminds me of the 2nd ediiton SM rules, but it
    >> will be a while before i get a chance to give it a detailed read and see
    >> if it's worth trying out.

    <snip highlights of system>

    Thanks for the information Peter. The system sounds pretty good from what
    you wrote. Taking a closer look is definately on my todo list. I
    especially like that the all the model ranges are supported. I might just
    be able to drag some local players back into playing the game.

    --
    should you wish, you can send email to the DisgruntledPawn
    via the ever popular gmail domain
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Craig Little" <craig.little@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<LtGdnQtepeCQ8M3fRVn-2w@comcast.com>...
    > "Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Peter Ramos <primarch@caribe.net> wrote in message
    > >> Hi!
    > >>

    > >> NetEpic Coordinator
    > >
    > > Uh, you may not have noticed this, but Jervis beat you to it...
    > >
    > > Philip Bowles
    >
    > Not really, NetEpic is closer to a new edition of SM/TL while Epic
    > Armageddon owes a most significant debt to E40K.

    I remember that Jervis specifically credited NetEpic as inspiration
    for a system combining the better aspects of both. Admittedly without
    having looked at the ruleset, though, I'm not sure how a NetEpic that
    largely ignores E40k can compare favourably with EpicA, which
    genuinely has managed to combine the best of both systems. Certainly I
    wouldn't want to go back to a game with no rules for suppression, only
    three types of action formations can take, vast amounts of cardboard,
    Titan datasheets and rudimentary flyer rules.

    Philip Bowles
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Peter Ramos <primarch@caribe.net> wrote in message news:<11533njaatrchef@corp.supernews.com>...

    > > Uh, you may not have noticed this, but Jervis beat you to it...
    > >
    > > Philip Bowles
    >
    > Hi!
    >
    > Uh, you may have to correct your chronology...
    >
    > ..epic A has been comercially available for a little over a year...
    >
    > ..netepic has been available for 8 years....
    >
    > ..I think you meant Jervis finally "caught up"..
    >
    > ..then again you may have not noticed this... ;)

    This e-mail has only been around for a few days... I know NetEpic came
    first, but with EpicA now available a new version of it seems somewhat
    redundant, in light of the fact that the various aspects of SM/TL that
    drew disillusioned Epic players from E40k to NetEpic in the first
    place are incorporated into EpicA.

    Philip Bowles
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:12:24 -0400, "Craig Little"
    <craig.little@gmail.com> wrote:

    >"Craig Little" <craig.little@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message

    >>> Hey, who does one have to beg, bribe, or kill to get a copy of
    >>> ABCreate for AB3? I emailed them at wolflair like it says to on the
    >>> site about a beta copy and never heard a thing.
    >>>
    >> Check your e-mail tomorrow, I have that somewhere, and the download
    >> address.
    >Scratch that, the sites down, but the e-mail is on it's way

    Could you send a link my way? I'm sick of the Ork 40K files being
    garbage on both systems.
    -Erik
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    You missed out the fact that NetEPIC has proxy counters on the website, so
    people without models can still play and that you have a regular EZine,
    like White Dwarf but for EPIC only. On issue #20 now :D.

Epic Video Games Books