Problem Formatting the HDD and Reinstalling XP

Tags:
  • Formatting
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
July 28, 2005 12:38:03 AM

I've been trying to reinstall Windows on my other computer and I've read
everything I could find on formatting the harddrive. I don't need to back
anything up, as the said computer is my gaming machine. I need all files on
my harddrive destroyed. My problem is this: I insert the Windows XP Home
Edition setup disk and boot from that. When the option is presented to repair
or create a new installation, I choose Create New Installation. I am not
presented with I license agreement for some reason (apparently, I should be,
if I'm reading instructions correctly). It skips directly to the partitions
screen. I have two options: Partition1 Space [NTFS] (4095 MB Used 948 MB
Free) and Unpartitioned Space (8MB). Needless to say neither of the free
spaces are enough. I cannot delete Partition1, and can't install on
unpartitioned space. So, this screen is as far as I can get. Can someone
please help me with this issue.
Oh, by the way. I have installed Windows XP three times before, I didn't
know it used up unpartitioned space, I thought it overwrote the previous
partition.
Another issue I've been having while trying to reinstall: It seems as though
my first installation of XP on the said computer was a different
installation. I was on the same disk, though. It never asked me for a product
key. It also automattically installed Norton Anti-Virus 2003 for me. My other
two, however, did not. Everytime I try to install NAV 2004 or 2005 myself, it
gives me an error message saying that isetup cannot complete. Someone please
help me with this, it's extremely exasperating.

More about : problem formatting hdd reinstalling

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:21:06 AM

You could go to http://www.bootdisk.com and down load a Win98 floppy
boot disk image. You could then boot from the floppy, use the fdisk
utility to delete the partion , shutdown and reboot from the XP CD. The
hard drive should be seen by XP as unpartitioned space.

By the way, NAV does NOT come as part of XP so it seems that you are
using a proprietry machine such as a Dell or the like, quite often the
version of XP provided with these machines will only work on that
particular machine.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 4:06:31 AM

How large is your hard drive? How many drives are installed? What you post
as specs makes no sense "Partition1 Space [NTFS] (4095 MB Used 948 MB Free)
and Unpartitioned Space (8MB)." That would make it about a 5 gig hard drive.
Is this a very old computer?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Ziemma" <ziemma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to reinstall Windows on my other computer and I've read
> everything I could find on formatting the harddrive. I don't need to back
> anything up, as the said computer is my gaming machine. I need all files
> on
> my harddrive destroyed. My problem is this: I insert the Windows XP Home
> Edition setup disk and boot from that. When the option is presented to
> repair
> or create a new installation, I choose Create New Installation. I am not
> presented with I license agreement for some reason (apparently, I should
> be,
> if I'm reading instructions correctly). It skips directly to the
> partitions
> screen. I have two options: Partition1 Space [NTFS] (4095 MB Used 948 MB
> Free) and Unpartitioned Space (8MB). Needless to say neither of the free
> spaces are enough. I cannot delete Partition1, and can't install on
> unpartitioned space. So, this screen is as far as I can get. Can someone
> please help me with this issue.
> Oh, by the way. I have installed Windows XP three times before, I didn't
> know it used up unpartitioned space, I thought it overwrote the previous
> partition.
> Another issue I've been having while trying to reinstall: It seems as
> though
> my first installation of XP on the said computer was a different
> installation. I was on the same disk, though. It never asked me for a
> product
> key. It also automattically installed Norton Anti-Virus 2003 for me. My
> other
> two, however, did not. Everytime I try to install NAV 2004 or 2005 myself,
> it
> gives me an error message saying that isetup cannot complete. Someone
> please
> help me with this, it's extremely exasperating.
July 28, 2005 4:06:32 AM

Yes, this is an extremely old computer. Unfortunatly, I lack the money to
custom-build my own or to get a new one with decent performance. The
harddrive is 3.99 GB (ugh). Is my old computer the problem?
--
"I don't mind being old. It's being old and fat that I mind."
~Peter Gabriel

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> How large is your hard drive? How many drives are installed? What you post
> as specs makes no sense "Partition1 Space [NTFS] (4095 MB Used 948 MB Free)
> and Unpartitioned Space (8MB)." That would make it about a 5 gig hard drive.
> Is this a very old computer?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Ziemma" <ziemma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been trying to reinstall Windows on my other computer and I've read
> > everything I could find on formatting the harddrive. I don't need to back
> > anything up, as the said computer is my gaming machine. I need all files
> > on
> > my harddrive destroyed. My problem is this: I insert the Windows XP Home
> > Edition setup disk and boot from that. When the option is presented to
> > repair
> > or create a new installation, I choose Create New Installation. I am not
> > presented with I license agreement for some reason (apparently, I should
> > be,
> > if I'm reading instructions correctly). It skips directly to the
> > partitions
> > screen. I have two options: Partition1 Space [NTFS] (4095 MB Used 948 MB
> > Free) and Unpartitioned Space (8MB). Needless to say neither of the free
> > spaces are enough. I cannot delete Partition1, and can't install on
> > unpartitioned space. So, this screen is as far as I can get. Can someone
> > please help me with this issue.
> > Oh, by the way. I have installed Windows XP three times before, I didn't
> > know it used up unpartitioned space, I thought it overwrote the previous
> > partition.
> > Another issue I've been having while trying to reinstall: It seems as
> > though
> > my first installation of XP on the said computer was a different
> > installation. I was on the same disk, though. It never asked me for a
> > product
> > key. It also automattically installed Norton Anti-Virus 2003 for me. My
> > other
> > two, however, did not. Everytime I try to install NAV 2004 or 2005 myself,
> > it
> > gives me an error message saying that isetup cannot complete. Someone
> > please
> > help me with this, it's extremely exasperating.

July 28, 2005 4:06:33 AM

Ziemma wrote:

> Yes, this is an extremely old computer. Unfortunatly, I lack the money to
> custom-build my own or to get a new one with decent performance. The
> harddrive is 3.99 GB (ugh). Is my old computer the problem?

Don't bother with XP on this system.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

It sounds like you are using the recovery disks that are provided by a
manufacturer. These return the computer to the same condition it was in "as
delivered" to you. You do not have options with this type of recovery. It is
all or nothing.

--

> [...]
>> > didn't
>> > know it used up unpartitioned space, I thought it overwrote the
>> > previous
>> > partition.
>> > Another issue I've been having while trying to reinstall: It seems as
>> > though
>> > my first installation of XP on the said computer was a different
>> > installation. I was on the same disk, though. It never asked me for a
>> > product
>> > key. It also automattically installed Norton Anti-Virus 2003 for me. My
>> > other
>> > two, however, did not. Everytime I try to install NAV 2004 or 2005
>> > myself,
>> > it
>> > gives me an error message saying that isetup cannot complete. Someone
>> > please
>> > help me with this, it's extremely exasperating.

July 28, 2005 5:11:03 AM

GreenieLeBrun,
Thank you very much. I didn't need to go to bootdisk, I already had a
Windows 98 setup disk, I used the fdisk option from that. It worked
perfectly, my computer is now up and running with Norton Anti-Virus 2004
installed. To you, I own my undying gratitude.
Now all I have to do is get the money to build a computer with a HDD that
has a higher capacity than four gigs....
--

!