Sign in with
Your question

Desktop won't power up

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 7, 2010 3:36:51 PM

My Gateway 815GM was working fine until I tried to install a second HDD. Now it won't power up. The motherboard led is lit (green) but the power on button on front panel is yellow instead of green. All fans are running. Please help?

More about : desktop power

August 7, 2010 3:39:18 PM

I almost forgot to add that the computer will not shut down, have to unplug from ac to shut it down.
m
l
August 8, 2010 5:56:09 AM

If you unplug the second hard drive, does it start up as normal?
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2010 1:00:47 PM

aford10 said:
If you unplug the second hard drive, does it start up as normal?

No, it does not boot with the second hard drive removed. I returned the hardware config to what it was when it was working. I think the bios is gone. I can't get to set up to change to set up mode so i can boot from thr recovery disc. Nothing seems to work. I removed and reseated the memory sticks, the video card. Still same problem, the fans come on the cd/dvd drive powers up, the led on the mother board is on and green. The power on light on the front of the tower is now amber instead of green. Would anything be gained by removing the battery to reset the bios? No clue what to do now.
m
l
August 18, 2010 2:21:19 PM

Doesn't that model come with onboard video? If yes, remove the video card, and move the monitor to the onboard video. Also, unplug the hard drive(s) and optical drive(s).
m
l
September 5, 2010 1:47:53 AM

aford10 said:
Doesn't that model come with onboard video? If yes, remove the video card, and move the monitor to the onboard video. Also, unplug the hard drive(s) and optical drive(s).

Ok, tried those suggestions, still no luck same as before. Still video out . Can't tell if bios is loading.
m
l
September 5, 2010 3:08:07 AM

Sounds like you should try a better PSU.
m
l
September 5, 2010 4:59:52 AM

try removing the cmos battery for about an hour, make sure the machine is unplugged ,replace it and attempt reboot. removing the battery should reset the cmos.
m
l
September 6, 2010 2:18:13 PM

aford10 said:
Sounds like you should try a better PSU.

Hi aford10,

Ok, I installed another PSU, no change, still no video, so don't know if BIOS is loading or not. Tried both ways, with and without video driver card. Have removed the BIOS battery several times no change.

ican2k
m
l
September 6, 2010 2:20:41 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
try removing the cmos battery for about an hour, make sure the machine is unplugged ,replace it and attempt reboot. removing the battery should reset the cmos.

Hi ohiou_grad_06;

Thanks for the reply, I have done that several times, with no success.

Ican2k
m
l
September 6, 2010 5:03:44 PM

Other suggestion would be remove 2nd hdd, remove all ram, and power up. See if the board beeps or squaks at you. If so, great. Replace memory and do the same with video card if it's not integrated. If so, also good. Then replace video card. Remove all ram, try to boot with one stick. If it boots with one stick, add 1 stick at a time until it won't boot.

If the board does not beep or anything, it's possible the board is kaput.
m
l
September 30, 2010 2:27:40 AM

ohio u grad is right
But try unplugging all of the items on the mb but the processor and power supply. If you get the pc to boot, which it should even if you just get errors, then shut down and plug one item in at a time. When you get to the item that stops the boot, that is the bad item. If you never get a boot, then check the mother board for capacitor leakage. If you have a black or discolored stuff on top of a cap or the top is swollen, then you are prob. out of luck. I have recaped a couple of dell boards, but they never seem to last more than about a year.
m
l
!