Dell Dimension 4550 Keeps Rebooting "Part 3"

I haven't heard anything from my other post, so I thought I would make a new
one. I am actually on the computer I was having problems with. I got my
anti-virus loaded and ran, found 4 viruses. I also installed Ad-Aware, and
Spybot S&D, and ran, keep finding spyware, especially one called Admess. I
keep getting pop-ups saying that I have problems with regeristry files, and
wants me to download some regeristry repairing software.
I can't understand how this stuff was missed by the format?
4 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 4550 rebooting part

    daddyzaring wrote:

    > I haven't heard anything from my other post, so I thought I would make a new
    > one. I am actually on the computer I was having problems with. I got my
    > anti-virus loaded and ran, found 4 viruses. I also installed Ad-Aware, and
    > Spybot S&D, and ran, keep finding spyware, especially one called Admess. I
    > keep getting pop-ups saying that I have problems with regeristry files, and
    > wants me to download some regeristry repairing software.
    > I can't understand how this stuff was missed by the format?

    Since you started a new thread it's hard to know what it is you're
    talking about, but a format and clean install of XP will remove any
    adware. If you are reinfected it's something you did after you
    formatted and installed.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Well, I was told to start a new thread before, because of all of the post. I
    did ("Part 2"), but I only got one reply on it, or the first, so I did this
    3rd post. I did do a format and install, with my recovery disk, and right
    after igot my internet connection working, and was setting up my home page, a
    bunch of stuff just started popping up. Since I just got this PC working
    (finally), the only website I have had upare, the first MSN home page, my ISP
    RoadRunner home page, Microsoft's website, and dell's website. I do think
    everything is working fine now. It hasn't coninually rebooted after,
    updating or anything, and I Ran Ad-Aware, and I think it fixed my spyware
    problem. So far so good, this time.
    Thank you Micheal T., for your help, and patients.

    "Rock" wrote:

    > daddyzaring wrote:
    >
    > > I haven't heard anything from my other post, so I thought I would make a new
    > > one. I am actually on the computer I was having problems with. I got my
    > > anti-virus loaded and ran, found 4 viruses. I also installed Ad-Aware, and
    > > Spybot S&D, and ran, keep finding spyware, especially one called Admess. I
    > > keep getting pop-ups saying that I have problems with regeristry files, and
    > > wants me to download some regeristry repairing software.
    > > I can't understand how this stuff was missed by the format?
    >
    > Since you started a new thread it's hard to know what it is you're
    > talking about, but a format and clean install of XP will remove any
    > adware. If you are reinfected it's something you did after you
    > formatted and installed.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Before connecting the PC to the internet, turn ON the firewall.

    daddyzaring wrote:

    > Well, I was told to start a new thread before, because of all of the post. I
    > did ("Part 2"), but I only got one reply on it, or the first, so I did this
    > 3rd post. I did do a format and install, with my recovery disk, and right
    > after igot my internet connection working, and was setting up my home page, a
    > bunch of stuff just started popping up. Since I just got this PC working
    > (finally), the only website I have had upare, the first MSN home page, my ISP
    > RoadRunner home page, Microsoft's website, and dell's website. I do think
    > everything is working fine now. It hasn't coninually rebooted after,
    > updating or anything, and I Ran Ad-Aware, and I think it fixed my spyware
    > problem. So far so good, this time.
    > Thank you Micheal T., for your help, and patients.

    <snip>

    The firewall must be on before connecting to the internet. It takes
    only a matter of minutes for an unprotected system to get infected. See
    these links:

    http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html#III
    http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/xpsurvivalguide.pdf

    --