Dell Dimension 4550 Keeps Rebooting "Part 3"

July 28, 2005 1:13:14 AM

I haven't heard anything from my other post, so I thought I would make a new
one. I am actually on the computer I was having problems with. I got my
anti-virus loaded and ran, found 4 viruses. I also installed Ad-Aware, and
Spybot S&D, and ran, keep finding spyware, especially one called Admess. I
keep getting pop-ups saying that I have problems with regeristry files, and
wants me to download some regeristry repairing software.
I can't understand how this stuff was missed by the format?
July 28, 2005 1:41:05 AM

daddyzaring wrote:

> I haven't heard anything from my other post, so I thought I would make a new
> one. I am actually on the computer I was having problems with. I got my
> anti-virus loaded and ran, found 4 viruses. I also installed Ad-Aware, and
> Spybot S&D, and ran, keep finding spyware, especially one called Admess. I
> keep getting pop-ups saying that I have problems with regeristry files, and
> wants me to download some regeristry repairing software.
> I can't understand how this stuff was missed by the format?

Since you started a new thread it's hard to know what it is you're
talking about, but a format and clean install of XP will remove any
adware. If you are reinfected it's something you did after you
formatted and installed.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Well, I was told to start a new thread before, because of all of the post. I
did ("Part 2"), but I only got one reply on it, or the first, so I did this
3rd post. I did do a format and install, with my recovery disk, and right
after igot my internet connection working, and was setting up my home page, a
bunch of stuff just started popping up. Since I just got this PC working
(finally), the only website I have had upare, the first MSN home page, my ISP
RoadRunner home page, Microsoft's website, and dell's website. I do think
everything is working fine now. It hasn't coninually rebooted after,
updating or anything, and I Ran Ad-Aware, and I think it fixed my spyware
problem. So far so good, this time.
Thank you Micheal T., for your help, and patients.

"Rock" wrote:

> daddyzaring wrote:
>
> > I haven't heard anything from my other post, so I thought I would make a new
> > one. I am actually on the computer I was having problems with. I got my
> > anti-virus loaded and ran, found 4 viruses. I also installed Ad-Aware, and
> > Spybot S&D, and ran, keep finding spyware, especially one called Admess. I
> > keep getting pop-ups saying that I have problems with regeristry files, and
> > wants me to download some regeristry repairing software.
> > I can't understand how this stuff was missed by the format?
>
> Since you started a new thread it's hard to know what it is you're
> talking about, but a format and clean install of XP will remove any
> adware. If you are reinfected it's something you did after you
> formatted and installed.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 28, 2005 1:04:28 PM

Before connecting the PC to the internet, turn ON the firewall.

daddyzaring wrote:

> Well, I was told to start a new thread before, because of all of the post. I
> did ("Part 2"), but I only got one reply on it, or the first, so I did this
> 3rd post. I did do a format and install, with my recovery disk, and right
> after igot my internet connection working, and was setting up my home page, a
> bunch of stuff just started popping up. Since I just got this PC working
> (finally), the only website I have had upare, the first MSN home page, my ISP
> RoadRunner home page, Microsoft's website, and dell's website. I do think
> everything is working fine now. It hasn't coninually rebooted after,
> updating or anything, and I Ran Ad-Aware, and I think it fixed my spyware
> problem. So far so good, this time.
> Thank you Micheal T., for your help, and patients.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>daddyzaring wrote:
>>

>>>I haven't heard anything from my other post, so I thought I would make a new
>>>one. I am actually on the computer I was having problems with. I got my
>>>anti-virus loaded and ran, found 4 viruses. I also installed Ad-Aware, and
>>>Spybot S&D, and ran, keep finding spyware, especially one called Admess. I
>>>keep getting pop-ups saying that I have problems with regeristry files, and
>>>wants me to download some regeristry repairing software.
>>>I can't understand how this stuff was missed by the format?
>>
>>Since you started a new thread it's hard to know what it is you're
>>talking about, but a format and clean install of XP will remove any
>>adware. If you are reinfected it's something you did after you
>>formatted and installed.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 29, 2005 12:46:43 AM

daddyzaring wrote:

> Well, I was told to start a new thread before, because of all of the post. I
> did ("Part 2"), but I only got one reply on it, or the first, so I did this
> 3rd post. I did do a format and install, with my recovery disk, and right
> after igot my internet connection working, and was setting up my home page, a
> bunch of stuff just started popping up. Since I just got this PC working
> (finally), the only website I have had upare, the first MSN home page, my ISP
> RoadRunner home page, Microsoft's website, and dell's website. I do think
> everything is working fine now. It hasn't coninually rebooted after,
> updating or anything, and I Ran Ad-Aware, and I think it fixed my spyware
> problem. So far so good, this time.
> Thank you Micheal T., for your help, and patients.

<snip>

The firewall must be on before connecting to the internet. It takes
only a matter of minutes for an unprotected system to get infected. See
these links:

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html#I...
http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/xpsurvivalguide.pdf

--