Nothing but Desktop background

terry

I have a client who said they followed a Norton antivirus direction for
a virus. But now when they log in the Desktop shows along with the
taskbar and Desktop icons but shortly after everything disappears except
for the background. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and selecting the Task Manager
does nothing. There is no way to gain control. I can put it into Safe
Mode but that is all. Using the Last Known Good Configuration didn't
help either. SR has nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions short of a reinstall?

--
Terry

***Reply Note***

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Terry wrote:

> I have a client who said they followed a Norton antivirus direction for
> a virus. But now when they log in the Desktop shows along with the
> taskbar and Desktop icons but shortly after everything disappears except
> for the background. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and selecting the Task Manager
> does nothing. There is no way to gain control. I can put it into Safe
> Mode but that is all. Using the Last Known Good Configuration didn't
> help either. SR has nothing.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions short of a reinstall?

Try a repair install. This should preserve data and programs. You will
need to reapply updates from the windows update site:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

terry

On 7/27/2005 9:36 PM On a whim, Rock pounded out on the keyboard

> Terry wrote:
>
>> I have a client who said they followed a Norton antivirus direction for
>> a virus. But now when they log in the Desktop shows along with the
>> taskbar and Desktop icons but shortly after everything disappears except
>> for the background. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and selecting the Task Manager
>> does nothing. There is no way to gain control. I can put it into Safe
>> Mode but that is all. Using the Last Known Good Configuration didn't
>> help either. SR has nothing.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions short of a reinstall?
>>

> Try a repair install. This should preserve data and programs. You will
> need to reapply updates from the windows update site:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Did a repair install. On final restart everything came up....then
disappeared again. Only the Desktop showing; no icons, taskbar, nothing.
Just as above.

Any other suggestions?

--
Terry

***Reply Note***

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Terry wrote:
> On 7/27/2005 9:36 PM On a whim, Rock pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Terry wrote:
>>
>>> I have a client who said they followed a Norton antivirus direction
>>> for a virus. But now when they log in the Desktop shows along with
>>> the taskbar and Desktop icons but shortly after everything disappears
>>> except for the background. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and selecting the
>>> Task Manager does nothing. There is no way to gain control. I can put
>>> it into Safe Mode but that is all. Using the Last Known Good
>>> Configuration didn't help either. SR has nothing.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions short of a reinstall?
>>>

>> Try a repair install. This should preserve data and programs. You
>> will need to reapply updates from the windows update site:
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>

> Did a repair install. On final restart everything came up....then
> disappeared again. Only the Desktop showing; no icons, taskbar, nothing.
> Just as above.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Do you have a backup of important data? If not slave the drive in
another XP or win2k computer and copy the important data.

Then try the edit on Kelly' site line 195, "Restore Desktop Icons and
Taskbar" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm. See the top
of the page for info on running the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User