File in System folder corrupted or missing error

I try to turn on my laptop that has Xp Pro installed, but before Windows
comes on, I get a black screen error I've never seen before on any machine:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
original Setup Cd-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

If I don't have my original CD available, is there anything i can download
and perhaps put on a floppy and try to resurrect?
6 answers Last reply
More about file system folder corrupted missing error

    Bubba wrote:

    > I try to turn on my laptop that has Xp Pro installed, but before Windows
    > comes on, I get a black screen error I've never seen before on any machine:
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    > You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
    > original Setup Cd-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    >
    > If I don't have my original CD available, is there anything i can download
    > and perhaps put on a floppy and try to resurrect?

    This indicates a problem with the registry. You'll need an XP
    installation CD to boot into the recovery console. Any XP CD should
    work for this.

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307545

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822705

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    starting" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/EN-US

    > If I don't have my original CD available, is there anything i can
    > download and perhaps put on a floppy and try to resurrect?

    "How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/EN-US

    --
    d-d

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:

    > This indicates a problem with the registry. You'll need an XP
    > installation CD to boot into the recovery console.

    Although that's correct, Setup boot disks work as well.
    "How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/EN-US (excerpt)

    --
    d-d

    Bubba wrote:
    > I try to turn on my laptop that has Xp Pro installed, but before Windows
    > comes on, I get a black screen error I've never seen before on any machine:
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    > You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
    > original Setup Cd-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    >
    > If I don't have my original CD available, is there anything i can download
    > and perhaps put on a floppy and try to resurrect?

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Bubba,

    If you able to boot to the command prompt, you can try using System Restore.
    All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://bertk.mvps.org/

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Detlev Dreyer wrote:

    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote:
    >

    >>This indicates a problem with the registry. You'll need an XP
    >>installation CD to boot into the recovery console.
    >

    > Although that's correct, Setup boot disks work as well.
    > "How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/EN-US (excerpt)
    >
    > | If you cannot start your computer, you can run the Recovery Console
    > | from the Microsoft Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM.

    Ok.....thanks.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User