Sign in with
Your question

pagefile.sys question

Last response: in Memory
August 1, 2005 4:44:46 AM

How can i tell how much actual data is being used up by my pagefile (swap file) in windows XP?

Does it only start using it once all my RAM is filled up first? or does it put some stuff in the pagefile even if RAM aint filled up yet?

Using Windows Task Manager, i dont see anywhere about this, and it shows basically the same thing even when i turn my pagefile off. I have 1GB of ram. Is there a 3rd party utility that can show this?

More about : pagefile sys question

August 1, 2005 12:23:37 PM

300mb wowthat isnt very much.. typically your page file should be 2-2.5 times the size of your RAM.

My PC:
Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 1, 2005 1:00:05 PM

you will never need much more than 300mb. Most modern progz dotn use pagefile that much because of the amount of ram.
Recommanded size is 1.5X but its wayyy too much IMO

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
Related resources
August 1, 2005 8:28:34 PM

From the incomplete Memory FAQ, here's what I've come up with so far:
Virtual memory is required by nearly all operating systems as a way of providing seemingly unlimited memory for computer applications and programs. It’s called “virtual”, because the memory is borrowed from the computers hard drive data storage.

<b>HOW IT WORKS</b>
As an application is executed, it normally requests a large amount of memory for its operation- much more than it typically needs just in case it may use it. So the operating systems needs to setup a PAGE FILE to accommodate the application’s memory needs. The PAGE FILE contains pages (or blocks of memory) where the blocks of memory are mapped from one set of addresses (virtual addresses) to another set (called physical addresses). The physical address is typically stored on the hard drive.

<b>WHY VIRTUAL MEMORY</b>
Virtual memory simplifies the loading of a program for execution. Because the memory addresses are translated to the hard drive, this eliminates the need for memory addresses to be stored in one long continuous block. The operating system only needs to find a sufficient number of pages in the main memory.

<b>PAGE FILE OPTIMIZATION</b>
Q: How to check page file size set by windows:
Windows will set the page file size automatically. You can check it by using DirectX Diagnostic Tool:
START --> RUN --> “dxdiag” and hit ENTER

Q: How to check the peak amount of memory since my last boot?
A:
1. Open the Windows Task Manager (CONTROL + ALT + DELETE)
2. Look under Performance tab at the Peak value.
It is best to record the peak value over a period of time, and just not assume that any single reading is the peak. After a period of review, you can easily determine what page files size if right for your computer.

Q: How to change the Page File Size?
A: The recommended minimum page file size is about 1.5 times the amount of RAM in your system, and the maximum recommended is about 3 times. By default windows will set this value for you. However, you can determine using the steps above what page file size is best for your system and change it manually:
START --> SETTINGS --> CONTROL PANEL --> SYSTEM --> ADVANCED --> performance.SETTINGS --> ADVANCED --> virtual memory.CHANGE

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha
<font color=blue>AIM BrentUnitedMem
August 1, 2005 9:56:27 PM

OK OK...
I have 2 gigs and have run with no page file and with 2-gig page file, both with no errors.
I just have not seen a difference as long as min and max are same size.
But because of Wusy's bloating, I have mine set at 300MB for the fvk of it...[/does snoopy's victory dance on Wusy's skull]
It feels good, nynaa nynaa nynaah!
Just like you said it would!!!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
August 1, 2005 10:16:51 PM

Where and what is that? [/stops doing snoopy dance for a second only...]

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
August 1, 2005 10:22:49 PM

OK OK, You are not only CB, but LB.com! Haha! I use neither of those programs, for the force is weak in me, master. [/still re-starts snoopy dance on skull!]

August 1, 2005 10:32:37 PM

I am doing that this minute, and if I don't reply within 5, You Get IT!

August 1, 2005 10:41:13 PM

Well, I made it... At least I am back within 5! Ignore the clock, Biatch!

August 1, 2005 10:41:58 PM

yeah i knew about that registry edit a long time ago (disable paging executive)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

Thats always the first thing i do when i install a new XP machine, anyway thanks for that utility, i found a little script which quickly tells you how much of your page file is in use...

http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

Although i currently have my page file at 800/800
August 2, 2005 2:50:54 AM

Lol - I've never disabled executive paging - I don't even know how :lol: 

August 2, 2005 3:15:06 AM

So what is real benifit I should expect? I disabled it, but did not do second key, since did not see it.
Pagefile is at 300/300

August 2, 2005 3:44:59 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention I used to change the 'I/O lock limit' to a larger value as well in the same registry entry, but I think SP2 has somewhat changed that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This...
Seriously, any words to benifits? Not grilling ya, just interested in what you know.

August 2, 2005 4:09:36 AM

well i disabled the executive pagefile thin in the reg and i set my size to 300/300 now, do i need a reboot? or will this not help my PIII? (o and BTW can ya OC some odd set of 133 sdram to make the cpu go faster? or should i take out 2 128 mb and leave it at 512 mb to OC the mother?)
August 2, 2005 4:12:23 AM

Yes, you reboot after changing.

August 2, 2005 4:18:02 AM

Why is it saying minus 64MB for the IO Page Lock Limit?

August 2, 2005 4:32:03 AM

I hear you, different for each system. What threw me is it says enter (-)64MB, in fact all configs is a negative value.

August 2, 2005 3:53:01 PM

well i reboted and i didn;t fell any different....... well i got 1x 512mb ultra brand ram and 2x 128mb no name ram all ar sdram 133 is there a way to OC these so the fsb of my PIII will go up? or increase my AGP speed? my readeon 9200 gets agp 8x and it is on a agp 2x mobo...
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 2, 2005 4:14:13 PM

Boosting the agp speed will do virtually nothing...
PC133 usually doesnt OC much you can try though, maybe with just the 512...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
August 3, 2005 5:47:23 AM

aww i though that if i OC the interface between the GPU chipset and the GPU there will be a difference? or is it because thast older chipsets don;t transmit data fast enough to the CPU and back? anyone got a easy tortial to help me out here? (both old stuff and new like the intergrated memory controller of the K8, all i know is the the northbridge acts as a bridge between the CPU and RAM? and the southbridge is the bridge between the perhierials and the CPU?)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 08/03/05 02:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 3, 2005 12:55:29 PM

The agp will run at a faster clock, but it really doesnt change anything, exept for maybe, cuasing instability...

@Wusy: good question¿¡

August 3, 2005 4:09:20 PM

and see i told ya i was confused about the chipsets and controllers on the mobo.... i need a course on this....... like hoe the vid card commicuates with the CPU and where to increase for OCing, i don;t want to just OC something, i want to understand how is the OC being achivied (like upping the ram for K8s OC the CPU because the data traverse faster between the cpu and the ram, and thus obtain a faster data processing speed)
August 5, 2005 8:29:43 PM

I actually have a little text file which reminds me of everything to do when installing a new XP machine, here it is:

adjust visual effects *** my cpu properties, advanced, performance, custom:
X animate
o fade
o fade
o fade
o show
o show shadows
X show translucent
X show windows
X slide open
X slide taskbar
X smooth edges
X smooth-scroll
X use a background
o use common
X use drop
o use visual

- Alter page file *** Right click My computer, go to advanced, performance, advanced, change.
- Reduce system restore *** Right click My Computer, go to system restore.
- Disable disk performance counters *** cmd, diskperf -N
- Disable Windows indexing service *** A/R, Windows Components, uncheck 'Indexing Service.'
- remove windows messenger *** A/R Windows components, uncheck windows messenger.
- smooth mouse movements *** device manager, PS/2 mouse, properties, advnced, set sample rate to 200
- use simpler startup screen *** control panel, user accounts, dont use a welcome screen.
- disable desktop cleanup wizard *** display properties, desktop, customize desktop
- disable messenger service *** right click my cpu, manage, services, messenger, stop-disable.
- Disable error reporting *** my computer, manage, services, error reporting service, disable it.
- IE setup *** change homepage to cnn.com, disable automatic image resizing and smart imaging dithering
- kick the canine! *** kick him to hell.
- Stop performance counters *** http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/to...
- install *** CmdHerePowertoySetup.exe, TweakUI

- copy the folders: emulators/games/pranks/movies/dosbox
- Install utilitis *** NAV (then fix recycle bin), PSP, MS office
- web installs *** ultra VNC, adaware, MS antispyware, rarlabs, divx

- MSCONFIG. get rid of bad startup programs.
- Defrag. empty recycle bin, defrag.

And i run a registry file, here it is:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
"ActiveWindowTracking"=dword:00000000
"DoubleClickHeight"="4"
"DoubleClickSpeed"="500"
"DoubleClickWidth"="4"
"MouseSensitivity"="16"
"MouseSpeed"="0"
"MouseThreshold1"="0"
"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,a0,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,40,\
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,66,a6,02,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,\
05,00,00,00,00,00,a0,99,0a,00,00,00,00,00,38,33,15,00,00,00,00,00
"MouseThreshold2"="0"
"SnapToDefaultButton"="0"
"SwapMouseButtons"="0"
"MouseTrails"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting]
"DoReport"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000000a
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001