BIOS cannot boot

July 28, 2005 1:46:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?
If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?
Is it possible to boot without any OS?
I just want to access the BIOS setting.
I use the OS saved in the floppy to boot up the computer, only once in a
while can boot it up.
The same happens for boot from CDROM.
Thanx

More about : bios boot

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:06:56 AM

dh wrote:
> Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?

Yes

> If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?

Depends on how damaged it is, your machine may not proceed past the
memory check, it may not boot at all, the date may be wron, drives may
not be detected, you may not even be able to access the CMOS chip
itsself.

> Is it possible to boot without any OS?

No

> I just want to access the BIOS setting.

Usually done by taping the Del key just after the memory test, though
differnt keys may be used if it is a proprietry machine such as
Toshiba, Compaq, HP etc

> I use the OS saved in the floppy to boot up the computer, only once in a
> while can boot it up.

What OS

> The same happens for boot from CDROM.

What OS

> Thanx
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:11:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yes, it is possible to get the BIOS damaged such as flashing failure and it
is possible too to boot without os. The BIOS screen does appear when you on
your computer. I think you know how to enter the BIOS right? Just press on
"DEL" or you may try to look into your computer manual .

"dh" wrote:

> Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?
> If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?
> Is it possible to boot without any OS?
> I just want to access the BIOS setting.
> I use the OS saved in the floppy to boot up the computer, only once in a
> while can boot it up.
> The same happens for boot from CDROM.
> Thanx

July 28, 2005 2:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I cannot even get something on the screen.
My machine cannot boot that far to memory test or to boot up the VGA card.
I know the BIOS is able to detect the keyboard because the NUM LOCK light is
on.
But the monitor just showing nothing.
Yesterday, at first, I suspected the harddisk is crashed, and I have
downloaded the diagnostic tools which has a little OS included in a floppy
disk.
I just want to boot up the system and let me press DEL to access the BIOS at
this point.
Same thing happened to the WINXP CDROM.
I have tried more than ten times to access the BIOS but only 2 times
success.
How can I diagnostic the BIOS damage?
How to get the tools to fix it?
Thanx

"GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> dh wrote:
>> Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?
>
> Yes
>
>> If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?
>
> Depends on how damaged it is, your machine may not proceed past the
> memory check, it may not boot at all, the date may be wron, drives may
> not be detected, you may not even be able to access the CMOS chip
> itsself.
>
>> Is it possible to boot without any OS?
>
> No
>
>> I just want to access the BIOS setting.
>
> Usually done by taping the Del key just after the memory test, though
> differnt keys may be used if it is a proprietry machine such as
> Toshiba, Compaq, HP etc
>
>> I use the OS saved in the floppy to boot up the computer, only once in a
>> while can boot it up.
>
> What OS
>
>> The same happens for boot from CDROM.
>
> What OS
>
>> Thanx

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:57:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Do you get any beeps at startup? If so how many and what duration? The
analysis of the beeps would depend on the motherboard make as different
manufacturers use different codes to diagnose the beep pattern.
Have you checked that the video card is properly seated? Of course if
the machine has an on-board video this suggestion is redundant.
Have you checked that the monitor is working by connecting it to
another machine?
If you answered no, yes and yes my suggestion would be to take the
machine to a repair shop, they may be able to find a replacement BIOS
chip or as a last resort put in a new motherboard.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 3:47:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yes, I got about 4 beeps at startup.
Yes, the video card should be seated properly because the system was able to
start once in a while, probably 1/10.
Therefore, the monitor is working.
Any tools for BIOS diagnostic?

> Do you get any beeps at startup? If so how many and what duration? The
> analysis of the beeps would depend on the motherboard make as different
> manufacturers use different codes to diagnose the beep pattern.
> Have you checked that the video card is properly seated? Of course if
> the machine has an on-board video this suggestion is redundant.
> Have you checked that the monitor is working by connecting it to
> another machine?
> If you answered no, yes and yes my suggestion would be to take the
> machine to a repair shop, they may be able to find a replacement BIOS
> chip or as a last resort put in a new motherboard.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:54:03 AM

Ok, so the next question would be who is the manufacturer of your
motherboard or the computer?

--
http://www.americantechie.com

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I got about 4 beeps at startup.
> Yes, the video card should be seated properly because the system was able
> to start once in a while, probably 1/10.
> Therefore, the monitor is working.
> Any tools for BIOS diagnostic?
> Thanx
>
> "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Do you get any beeps at startup? If so how many and what duration? The
>> analysis of the beeps would depend on the motherboard make as different
>> manufacturers use different codes to diagnose the beep pattern.
>> Have you checked that the video card is properly seated? Of course if
>> the machine has an on-board video this suggestion is redundant.
>> Have you checked that the monitor is working by connecting it to
>> another machine?
>> If you answered no, yes and yes my suggestion would be to take the
>> machine to a repair shop, they may be able to find a replacement BIOS
>> chip or as a last resort put in a new motherboard.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:24:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

1/10 does not indicate that the video card or the ram are seated properly.
--
Ron Sommer

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I got about 4 beeps at startup.
> Yes, the video card should be seated properly because the system was able
> to start once in a while, probably 1/10.
> Therefore, the monitor is working.
> Any tools for BIOS diagnostic?
> Thanx
>
> "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Do you get any beeps at startup? If so how many and what duration? The
>> analysis of the beeps would depend on the motherboard make as different
>> manufacturers use different codes to diagnose the beep pattern.
>> Have you checked that the video card is properly seated? Of course if
>> the machine has an on-board video this suggestion is redundant.
>> Have you checked that the monitor is working by connecting it to
>> another machine?
>> If you answered no, yes and yes my suggestion would be to take the
>> machine to a repair shop, they may be able to find a replacement BIOS
>> chip or as a last resort put in a new motherboard.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:40:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

OK, each computer has their own system of error boots, but they are somewhat
standard.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm will give some information. Of course
the book you got with the computer will have a table saying what the beep
error codes mean, find it and read it. Usually, 4 beeps Timer not
operational, system board bad

Possible fix: Open it up and hold down the CUDA button on the motherboard
for about 5 seconds. This does a hard reset on the board. It is a small grey
button on the board.

"RobinLKM" <RobinLKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, it is possible to get the BIOS damaged such as flashing failure and
> it
> is possible too to boot without os. The BIOS screen does appear when you
> on
> your computer. I think you know how to enter the BIOS right? Just press on
> "DEL" or you may try to look into your computer manual .
>
> "dh" wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?
>> If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?
>> Is it possible to boot without any OS?
>> I just want to access the BIOS setting.
>> I use the OS saved in the floppy to boot up the computer, only once in a
>> while can boot it up.
>> The same happens for boot from CDROM.
>> Thanx

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:42:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yes it is possible to boot without an OS but You need a BIOS and it is
possible for the BIOS to get damaged from any recent software or hardwarre
changes!!!
> Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?
> If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?
> Is it possible to boot without any OS?
> I just want to access the BIOS setting.
> I use the OS saved in the floppy to boot up the computer, only once in a
> while can boot it up.
> The same happens for boot from CDROM.
> Thanx

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:42:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

In news:eqqETQ6kFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Jhoschak <aweless2@tampabay.rr.com> typed:

> Yes it is possible to boot without an OS

That's completely false.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> but You need a BIOS and it is
> possible for the BIOS to get damaged from any recent software
> or
> hardwarre changes!!!
> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?
>> If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?
>> Is it possible to boot without any OS?
>> I just want to access the BIOS setting.
>> I use the OS saved in the floppy to boot up the computer, only
>> once
>> in a while can boot it up.
>> The same happens for boot from CDROM.
>> Thanx
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:49:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You BOOT"strap" to an OS. With no OS to BOOT to you can't BOOT. You can
only "PowerOnSelfTest".

Jhoschak wrote:

> Yes it is possible to boot without an OS but You need a BIOS and it is
> possible for the BIOS to get damaged from any recent software or hardwarre
> changes!!!
> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?
>>If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?
>>Is it possible to boot without any OS?
>>I just want to access the BIOS setting.
>>I use the OS saved in the floppy to boot up the computer, only once in a
>>while can boot it up.
>>The same happens for boot from CDROM.
>>Thanx

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:51:06 PM

NobodyMan wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2005 22:06:56 -0700, "GreenieLeBrun"
> <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I just want to access the BIOS setting.
> >
> >Usually done by taping the Del key just after the memory test, though
> >differnt keys may be used if it is a proprietry machine such as
> >Toshiba, Compaq, HP etc
>
> Agreed, although I suggest striking the word "usually" from future
> posts you make regarding BIOS access. Every different BIOS uses a
> different access sequence (sometimes the same BIOS will use different
> sequences between revisions). I have found very few BIOS access keys
> that used the DEL key.

Of the 140 odd intel boxes I provide support for the vast majority use
the Delete key to access the BIOS. The only exceptions are a handfull
of Toshiba and Dell machines, so I feel justified in useing "usually".
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:27:02 PM

dh wrote:
> Is it possible to get the BIOS damaged?

Certainly.

> If yes, how to check it is damaged or not?

Generally, the computer's Power-On Self Test (POST) will fail, or
you'll be unable to flash the BIOS with a new revision.

> Is it possible to boot without any OS?

No.

> I just want to access the BIOS setting.

The operating system is immaterial, it has no bearing upon how one
enters the BIOS. Only you know what motherboard and BIOS you have, so
only you know the answer to your question. ;-}

In the extremely unlikely event that your PC's manual or the
motherboard manufacturer's web site doesn't contain the needed
information, try one or more of the following:

How do I access my computer's setup (BIOS)
http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/2157.html

Wim's BIOS Page
http://www.wimsbios.com/

Accessing Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:29:34 AM

On 27 Jul 2005 22:06:56 -0700, "GreenieLeBrun"
<GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I just want to access the BIOS setting.
>
>Usually done by taping the Del key just after the memory test, though
>differnt keys may be used if it is a proprietry machine such as
>Toshiba, Compaq, HP etc

Agreed, although I suggest striking the word "usually" from future
posts you make regarding BIOS access. Every different BIOS uses a
different access sequence (sometimes the same BIOS will use different
sequences between revisions). I have found very few BIOS access keys
that used the DEL key.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 1:54:19 AM

dh wrote:
> Yes, I got about 4 beeps at startup.
> Yes, the video card should be seated properly because the system was able to
> start once in a while, probably 1/10.
> Therefore, the monitor is working.
> Any tools for BIOS diagnostic?
> Thanx
>
> "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Do you get any beeps at startup? If so how many and what duration? The
> > analysis of the beeps would depend on the motherboard make as different
> > manufacturers use different codes to diagnose the beep pattern.
> > Have you checked that the video card is properly seated? Of course if
> > the machine has an on-board video this suggestion is redundant.
> > Have you checked that the monitor is working by connecting it to
> > another machine?
> > If you answered no, yes and yes my suggestion would be to take the
> > machine to a repair shop, they may be able to find a replacement BIOS
> > chip or as a last resort put in a new motherboard.

OK 4 beeps have a look at:-

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml for beep codes - 4
beeps (if an AMI BIOS) suggests a RAM problem. If you have an award
BIOS you will probably need to go to the motherboard manufacturers site
for the meaning of the beep codes.

If you have more than one stick of RAM remove all the stcks and replace
them one at a time to see if your RAM is faulty.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:00:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Just had a processor replaced on account of same problem.
So maybe you should have your processor checked.

My BIOS gave me vocal messages. It was something
like « Processor not detected ».

"GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1122612859.449404.5180@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> dh wrote:
>> Yes, I got about 4 beeps at startup.
>> Yes, the video card should be seated properly because the system was able
>> start once in a while, probably 1/10.
>> Therefore, the monitor is working.
>> Any tools for BIOS diagnostic?
>> Thanx
>>
>> "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Do you get any beeps at startup? If so how many and what duration? The
>> > analysis of the beeps would depend on the motherboard make as different
>> > manufacturers use different codes to diagnose the beep pattern.
>> > Have you checked that the video card is properly seated? Of course if
>> > the machine has an on-board video this suggestion is redundant.
>> > Have you checked that the monitor is working by connecting it to
>> > another machine?
>> > If you answered no, yes and yes my suggestion would be to take the
>> > machine to a repair shop, they may be able to find a replacement BIOS
>> > chip or as a last resort put in a new motherboard.
>> >

> OK 4 beeps have a look at:-
>
> http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml for beep codes - 4
> beeps (if an AMI BIOS) suggests a RAM problem. If you have an award
> BIOS you will probably need to go to the motherboard manufacturers site
> for the meaning of the beep codes.
>
> If you have more than one stick of RAM remove all the stcks and replace
> them one at a time to see if your RAM is faulty.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:49:44 PM

On 28 Jul 2005 17:51:06 -0700, "GreenieLeBrun"
<GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote:

>NobodyMan wrote:

>> >Usually done by taping the Del key just after the memory test, though
>> >differnt keys may be used if it is a proprietry machine such as
>> >Toshiba, Compaq, HP etc
>>
>> Agreed, although I suggest striking the word "usually" from future
>> posts you make regarding BIOS access. Every different BIOS uses a
>> different access sequence (sometimes the same BIOS will use different
>> sequences between revisions). I have found very few BIOS access keys
>> that used the DEL key.
>
>Of the 140 odd intel boxes I provide support for the vast majority use
>the Delete key to access the BIOS. The only exceptions are a handfull
>of Toshiba and Dell machines, so I feel justified in useing "usually".

Of the roughly 1,000+ machines I provide support for, from all
different manufacturers, the Delete key is used *occasionally* but it
is just as common as another key being used. I've found no
preponderence of one access key vs. another, hence my advice to strike
the word 'usually'.
!