Auto shutdown when insert a USB thumb drive into a USB port

July 28, 2005 2:55:03 AM

Hello,

I running Windows XP on a laptop computer and everytime I insert a USB thumb
drive into one of the two USB ports, the computer automatically shuts down.

I have tried inserting another USB device into the port, and it works.

Therefore I was leaning towards the driver being the problem. In device
manager, it says that the device is working properly.

The USB thumb drive came with a CD-ROM, but it only has the drivers for
Windows 98 on it, as they are not needed for XP.

I have since cleaned and re-formatted the computer, taking every back to its
orginal state, as it came out of the box.

This has not fixed the problem, does anyone have any thoughts on this
matter. Thanks
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:11:09 AM

The computer is set to automatically reboot on fatal errors. The USB thumb
drive is likely causing this. Go to the website of the manufacturer and see
if there are more up to date drivers. If there are not, the most simple
thing to do would be to dish out the $30 or so to get a different thumb
drive rather than wasting hours of time trying to fix the problem.

--
http://www.americantechie.com