New XP machine doesn't answer it's 'ping' but can surf the..

I added a new WinXP machine to my home LAN with a couple
old ones running Win2K. All are in workgroup "Home".

The new WinXP system doesn't fully participate in the LAN, even
though Windows Firewall is turned OFF on the new machine.

My router has given it an IP address, 192.168.1.102.
When I try to "ping" the new machine (by its IP address)
from any of the old ones on the network, all requests time out.

If I try to "ping" the new machine by its network name instead,
the old machines claim it is an "Unknown host."

Windows Firewall is turned OFF on the new machine.

The new machine can "ping" the old ones by their IP addresses
but not by their network name(s). If I try, it cannot find them.

The new machine can surf the web just fine.

If I open workgroup "Home" on my old machines, I can see the
new one, but if I try to actually open it, I get "Network Path
not found."

The new machine has TCP/IP enabled on its LAN card.

Any ideas?

- Rich

Have you plugged the new machine into the routers DMZ port?

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman

Manny Borges wrote:

> Have you plugged the new machine into the routers DMZ port?

My router doesn't have a DMZ port, just four local ports and one WAN
port. All of my local machines are plugged into the local ports, and
the WAN port goes to my cable modem.

As I wrote, the other two local machines can talk to each other, and
all three local machines can talk to the world, just the new WinXP
machine can't talk to the other two local machines.

- Rich

Is SP 2 installed?? If yes, then the firewall is also running and by
default, the firewall will not allow the answering of the local netowrk
pings. Also, you will have to "open" the local file/printer sharing in the
SP2 firewall also.

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> Is SP 2 installed?? If yes, then the firewall is also running and by
> default, the firewall will not allow the answering of the local netowrk
> pings. Also, you will have to "open" the local file/printer sharing in the
> SP2 firewall also.

As I wrote,

> Windows Firewall is turned OFF on the new machine.

- Rich

Solved:
The new machine came with Norton Internet Security pre-installed.
Turning it off made it work as desired.

- Rich