Unwanted Speech!

Four months ago I bought a Toshiba Laptop (Satellite P35-611).
For a while it spoke to me, consistently "hello, how are you?"
I have been trying to get rid of the voice messages and have been partially
successful in that it has changed to "I'm not here right now." And it only
speaks to me now when the laptop is "hibernating."

The Compuserve Forum provided me with the following advice which I
implemented:

1. Checked that no ".wav" was ever scheduled to play

2. Checked that there was not any event that would trigger a sound

3. Disabled "ctfmon.exe"

4. Disabled "Service Service"

5. Disabled Mail Speak (TOSHIBA)

6. Disabled all add-ins within Office Outlook

7. Disabled all Advance Text Services

8. Disabled all Startup Services using MSCONFIG

Being that I still am getting the voice messages I was referred to this forum.

My next plan of attack is to uninstall Office to see if that accomplishes
anything and lastly reinstall XP.

Any assistance would be appreciated!.

Yano

"nonguru" <nonguru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Four months ago I bought a Toshiba Laptop (Satellite P35-611).
> For a while it spoke to me, consistently "hello, how are you?"

Is this the Tosh Speech system?.. Perhaps try..
Windows XP SP2: Toshiba Speech System issues
http://209.167.114.38/support/TechSupport/TSBs/ALL/-TSB001033.htm

JS

nonguru wrote:
> Four months ago I bought a Toshiba Laptop (Satellite P35-611).
> For a while it spoke to me, consistently "hello, how are you?"
> I have been trying to get rid of the voice messages and have been partially
> successful in that it has changed to "I'm not here right now." And it only
> speaks to me now when the laptop is "hibernating."
>
> The Compuserve Forum provided me with the following advice which I
> implemented:
>
> 1. Checked that no ".wav" was ever scheduled to play
>
> 2. Checked that there was not any event that would trigger a sound
>
> 3. Disabled "ctfmon.exe"
>
> 4. Disabled "Service Service"
>
> 5. Disabled Mail Speak (TOSHIBA)
>
> 6. Disabled all add-ins within Office Outlook
>
> 7. Disabled all Advance Text Services
>
> 8. Disabled all Startup Services using MSCONFIG
>
> Being that I still am getting the voice messages I was referred to this forum.
>
> My next plan of attack is to uninstall Office to see if that accomplishes
> anything and lastly reinstall XP.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated!.

I don't understand why removing some dumb speech gimmick should be so
difficult. Can't you simply go into Add/Remove programs and uninstall it?

Unless you do not know which software is doing the "speech" gimmick!