Problem with Windows? or software?

July 28, 2005 3:19:09 AM

hello,

my computer always, not at a specific interval, shuts off without warning.
I assume that this is a virus because it also shuts down my Windows Firewall.
luckily, i also use Zonealarm. I have done all virus and software scans yet
none have shown any difference to this. This also tries to delete my windows
file in C:\. Please help me because i definitely think that this is a
software problem.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:46:49 AM

The computer rebooting at random would be a fatal error. Windows XP is set
by default to do this on a blue screen error.

I am not sure what you are talking about with the firewall. Does this mean
that at random the computer reboots and at random the firewall also shuts
off? Or are you saying the firewall will not turn on after the computer
reboots? How do you know the Windows Firewall is getting shutoff? How do
you know the Windows file is attempting to be deleted? How long has this
been a problem? What changes did you make before this problem appeared?

I would not assume this to be a virus right away. I would try a clean boot
process via the following article. Basically you want to disable non ms
servics and the startup items. When you have done this you can use the
computer as you normally do to see if the problem persists. If the problem
goes away then your problem is in one of the items you have disabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353

You might also get more information by actually looking at the error message
you are getting. To do this you would have to set Windows to hang on the
blue screen. To do this perform the following steps...

1. Right click on My Computer and click Properties.
2. Click on the Advanced tab.
3. Click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
4. Remove the check from Automatically Restart.
5. Save these settings.

Now you can get the error when the computer again shuts off. Write down the
error and get back to us. It is possible a driver might be mentioned that
is causing the problem.

Good luck!
--
http://www.americantechie.com