Sign in with
Your question
Closed

In Pictures: 20 MMORPG Realms You Should Explore

Last response: in Photo reports comments
September 10, 2010 6:15:07 AM

As an avid MMORPG player I am really excited about late 2010/2011. There are multiple AAA mmorpgs being released. If you are interested in experiencing a new world, do some research on the upcoming games. Guild Wars 2, SW:TOR, Rift: Planes of Talara, Vindictus, TERA and more. Things are looking good for mmorpg players.
Score
September 10, 2010 6:15:55 AM

you guys have DAOC labeled as launched in oct 2009..it was 2001
Score
September 10, 2010 6:32:11 AM

I would have expected Aion to be in the list as well.
Score
September 10, 2010 7:09:08 AM

Concerning GuildWars:
"quests and encounters were endured locally on the gamer's PC"
Wat?
All non-town areas are instanced, meaning you won't run into other players that are not in your party. The player still plays online, nothing is done "locally".

"Servers also played matchmaker for players wanting to quest in co-op mode"
Not true. Only Random Arena (pvp) and the factions battles (also pvp) (from Factions) is where people are randomly paired. Other than that, people can take NPC heros or group with people (or solo) to go kill stuff.

Additionaly worth mentioning is that GW has no grind. Level cap is low (20) and usually reached within a week. There is no 'uber-leet-gear', all gear performs essentially the same, depending on what one needs. Once items have the maximum stats, they only differ by their looks.
Score
September 10, 2010 7:12:59 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't see a title to each picture and has the whole article off to the side and getting cut-off a bit?

I'm using Chrome BTW and zoomed in a bit, but even zoomed out I think it does this.
Score
September 10, 2010 7:20:34 AM

I find it interesting the picture for the article on the homepage is of Final Fantasy Tactics for Playstation when the article is all about PC MMORPGS's....
Score
September 10, 2010 7:24:30 AM

no EVE Online ?
Score
September 10, 2010 7:27:30 AM

The interface of these picture stories isn't very user-friendly. I'd suggest TomsHardware to rework on this section, and add a 'View All' button so that all the pictures can be viewed on a single page.

There's a lot of treasure [Especially WD HDD Factory Tour and Samsung Tour] that's difficult to access owing to the flawed interface of Picture Stories.
Score
September 10, 2010 7:30:46 AM

Anarchy Online has been free to play for the entire 6 years that I have played it. The "until Feb 20XX" has been around for as long as I can remember and its always extended before the freeness expires.

DAOC came out in 2001, not 2009.
Score
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 7:46:19 AM

Unbelievable, Ultima Online is missing...
Score
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 8:38:13 AM

You forgot EVE online - One of the biggest and most innovate games of all time
Score
September 10, 2010 9:56:48 AM

eve and ultima, i believe deserved a place in there!
Score
September 10, 2010 10:24:31 AM

didnt even mention Shaiya!?
Score
September 10, 2010 10:32:18 AM

What about Crowns of Power and Silk Road Online???
Score
September 10, 2010 10:46:09 AM

I don't like multiplayer games and MMORPGs in particular. It's just laziness on the part of the developers to let the users provide characters, AI and content to the game. How can you have a great game when instead of a tight plot and professional voice actors you have these dumb kids running around calling each other n00b and complaining about lag? I want KOTOR 3!
Score
September 10, 2010 10:54:21 AM

"Everquest started it all" Too young to have played Ultima Online then? or have you never played a MMORPG and just googled your research? UO was the MMORPG that kicked it off without which we wouldn't have had Everquest and wouldn't have WoW today, it was the trailblazer that proved the concept would work.

Also you should have had Matrix Online (and the story of its death) as a bonus 21 as its worth hearing about :p 
Score
September 10, 2010 10:56:02 AM

Ive been playing on the EverQuest II Extended server, and while some of the limitations are annoying, like restricted classes and whatnot, the amount of content they give you is staggering, and its been a very fun experience overall.
Score
September 10, 2010 11:16:42 AM

No Ultima Online on your list? The game's been around since muds were mainstream. Every other game on your list has it's roots in UO, and it does not even get an honorable mention?

Darkfall is missing as well, but that game never had a box on a shelf, and only available for digital download, so I'm not surprised.
Score
September 10, 2010 11:18:21 AM

FFXI, EVE, Aion, etc.
Score
September 10, 2010 11:55:49 AM

Guild Wars has been my only MMO, because of its free-to-play model. I will not pay a subscription to play a game I've already bought, unless it is no more than the cost of a monthly magazine (i.e. $4-$7). I am really looking forward to Guild Wars 2. I just hope they can reduce or even eliminate the nerfs, particularly in PvE; especially those that make no sense in the game world (e.g. Ranger pets no longer leaving a corpse; an animal leaves a corpse, but if a Ranger charms it first, no corpse??????)
Score
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 12:11:28 PM

This list is lacking Final Fantasy XI which I believe was the heavy hitter just before WoW came out.
Score
September 10, 2010 12:22:53 PM

i played STO and didn't like it for one reason, bugs! the game just didn't feel finished. instead of fixing all these bugs, they just keep on adding more content. bad priorities.
also, missing eve online.
Score
September 10, 2010 12:24:26 PM

EvE Online is one of the most popular MMOs going right now and offers a hugely different and unique experience. How did it not make this list?
Score
September 10, 2010 12:33:18 PM

EvE Online is one of the most popular MMOs going right now and offers a hugely different and unique experience. How did it not make this list?

unfortunately, wow takes that title... i really wish swtor comes in at full force and they either remake wow into wow 2.0 500 years later and revamp the whole system than cata that tries to do so and seems to be meeting large roadblocks or just make another mmo since wow is just getting ridiculous with it's story. that said, eve online should be on there, ffs rapplelez made it on there and it was a hell of a bone grinder when i played it in beta...

also, what happened to jumpgate and the upcoming jumpgate evolution?

Also, to the guy that wants a one page picture story, this is toms, where every click of yours serves up fresh ads, they are not going to do that for their idiot grabbing stories (because clearly this is not a comprehensive story like the SBM or what nots and is filled with colourful pictures) and thus just install ad block plus
Score
September 10, 2010 12:48:30 PM

LoTRO went free to play today, by the way. While you CAN play the whole game for free (PvP excluded), It'd be a long grind to do so. You can earn store points by completing deeds in game.
Score
September 10, 2010 1:00:58 PM

hey can you tell if that pic of A0 is from the org athenpaladins
Score
September 10, 2010 1:07:08 PM

Sees $15 a month subscription fee, go plays private server.

$15 a month fee over one year before Tax and banking fess that is $180 now take that over several years. One year a long can purchase a GTX 460 768mb version.
Score
September 10, 2010 1:14:26 PM

ahh the old days of EQ back before Luclin. Hours of running around trying to upgrade my bronze armor, take out vox... miss class lol back in the 8.99/month and Athalon 2400+ days

That does bring back memories. Also i do agree, kinda wondered where UO, Aion and FFXI where
Score
September 10, 2010 1:30:58 PM

Guild Wars stands out from the pack due to its Free to Play ability. It's simply a gorgeous environment, there isn't any "grind" per say, and the replayability is fantastic.

I can not wait for GW2 to arrive - it looks amazing.
Score
September 10, 2010 1:41:52 PM

Eve online with its single shard universe. A massive game which is also technically very inovative behind the scenes.
Score
September 10, 2010 1:50:22 PM

Eve Online Should be on here, it's the best space based online game out there.
Score
September 10, 2010 2:11:22 PM

Sorry MUMORPEGA's of the world, you will never have me playing you. No matter how free.

I had some friends who play WoW that wanted me to play with them. They eventually got so insistent that they literally paid my membership for the game and bought me a copy of the game. In return they just wanted me to play it with them for the 3 months of the starting membership. I just plain hated the game, and all MMO's are pretty much the same. I guess they thought I wasn't paying attention to them and my brother playing the various MMO games for the last 5+ years and thought that I couldn't really tell how they play from just watching.
Score
September 10, 2010 2:14:07 PM

I personally believe that Final Fantasy XI should have been part of this list. Spanning a massive world with some incredibly creative locales, it's a game where you can truly explore and discover lands of mystery.
Score
September 10, 2010 2:30:29 PM

You have some really crappy ones, and completely ignored some of the more awesome ones. EQ2 > EQ. FFXI and FFXIV. Eve. Shaiya. To name a few. There are more. Lots more, and the majority KICK ASS compared to some of the ones listed. GG, bro...GG.
Score
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 2:40:52 PM

You'll list a bunch of obscure Korean grinders like Rappelz and Runes of Magic but won't even mention FFXI?

That, my friend, is a sin.
Score
September 10, 2010 2:50:20 PM

nforce4maxSees $15 a month subscription fee, go plays private server.$15 a month fee over one year before Tax and banking fess that is $180 now take that over several years. One year a long can purchase a GTX 460 768mb version.

...This is almost too easy...but anyways. If $15 is too "steep" for you I'd be very curious to know how you spend your spare time and money (assuming you have any of the latter). Most MMO's come with a prorated plan that becomes cheaper the more you put down up front. E.G. Eve online, if you pay for a year up front you only pay $10.99/month, instead of $14.99, which does result in a nice $48 in savings. So, near limitless entertainment for a year, for a couple days work. Not many other entertainment venues that provide that amount of bang for your buck.
Score
September 10, 2010 2:51:02 PM

EQ2x is F2P now, although it is more limited to play.
Score
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 2:52:12 PM

Where's Entropia Universe? People there frequently pay more than 100$ per month.
Score
September 10, 2010 3:05:44 PM

Runes of Magic is great. Free to play. Spend only when you WANT to spend and I have never seen the need. You can level, advance, enjoy the play without issue.
Score
September 10, 2010 3:10:46 PM

EVE...best PVP game out there.
Score
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 3:15:27 PM

regarding Aion and FFXI: the title of the article is "realms you SHOULD explore"
Score
September 10, 2010 3:20:08 PM

"Sony Online Entertainment's EverQuest was the MMORPG that started it all."??

Really? I thought it was Ultima Online who actually coined the phrase MMORPG initially!!

"The term MMORPG was coined by Richard Garriott, the creator of Ultima Online, in 1997." - Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_massively_multi...
Score
September 10, 2010 3:21:56 PM

reclinemusicregarding Aion and FFXI: the title of the article is "realms you SHOULD explore"

I see what you did there.

You forgot the sh**load of Korean MMO's out there, like Maple Story... although I don't really care.
Score
September 10, 2010 3:25:47 PM

Firehead2kConcerning GuildWars:"quests and encounters were endured locally on the gamer's PC"Wat?All non-town areas are instanced, meaning you won't run into other players that are not in your party. The player still plays online, nothing is done "locally"."Servers also played matchmaker for players wanting to quest in co-op mode"Not true. Only Random Arena (pvp) and the factions battles (also pvp) (from Factions) is where people are randomly paired. Other than that, people can take NPC heros or group with people (or solo) to go kill stuff.Additionaly worth mentioning is that GW has no grind. Level cap is low (20) and usually reached within a week. There is no 'uber-leet-gear', all gear performs essentially the same, depending on what one needs. Once items have the maximum stats, they only differ by their looks.

All of this.

This is part of the reason I liked Guild Wars (played all three campaigns + expansion pack for a few years, though left after my guild started dissipating, now looking forward to GW2). You hit the level cap easily and so for most of the game, it wasn't about the awesome armor you have or weapons you have, or that you've spent 6 months getting to level 60, but strategy and skill, and most especially, teamwork within your party. You can only carry 8 skills at a time, and can only change your skills when in a town (which means you can't change your build during a quest or mission). Much time is spent in towns analyzing builds, comparing them within your party and planning out what you will do and what builds go together. You often will be fighting NPC enemies that are level 30 and up, when your party is all level 20, but it doesn't matter if you have the right build and good teamwork.

It was a thinking man's game, and it is excellent. You couldn't just power your way through it.

That, and I hate subscription models for online play (for individual games). I don't want that kind of pressure to "get my money's worth". :) 
Score
September 10, 2010 3:37:23 PM

I played Rappelz for a bit, and the game has no depth. It was interesting at first, but I grew annoyed after a month. It's not bad for being free, but it's irritating how people gain an advantage by paying. I rather pay monthly so everyone has an equal playing field.

"Jagex's browser-based MMORPG RuneScape originally launched back in 2001. The game isn't exactly hardcore. Like Sony's Free Realms, RuneScape
is geared toward a general audience, young and old."

AND... I quit RS for a bit and finally came back to it. The PvP is addicting. You can look at it and call it crap (because there is way too much grinding), but the boss fights and PvP is great. Basically Runescape let's you do skills (fletching, woodcutting, herblore, firemaking, hunter, runecrafting, agility, thieving, etc); so you can do the non-combat stuff and be a "skiller." If you want something a little more "hardcore" then you get your combat skills (strength, attack, defense, magic, range, prayer) up for some fun; PvP is pretty intense IMO. Runescape certainly doesn't have the graphics of other games (though there have been MAJOR updates), but Jagex has done an excellent job for having its game run in a browser.
Score
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 3:40:49 PM

Uh... EVE Online? Where's EVE Online?
Score
September 10, 2010 4:02:22 PM

sigh no mention of Global Agenda...
Score
September 10, 2010 4:11:29 PM

Took one look at the articles icon. ZOMG Final Fantasy Tactics! Then find out its about MMO's and has no relation. *sad panda*
Score
September 10, 2010 4:33:26 PM

I play every gaming genre, except monthly fee MMORPGs (yeah I've tried WOW on a client's PC a few times, and played Guild Wars) It's not the genre, it's the grind. Reminds me of people who sit all day at internet gambling sites.
Score
!